Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question...

To those who installed the solo seat cowl that came with the fairings (usually), what type of hardware did you use and where did you get it? It appears to use the clip with a nut on one side, but wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would think the easy thing to do would be to get a used rear passenger seat off of eBay and swap the hardware over. Have you considered that?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have an OEM seat cowl, so I had an idea of what I was looking for. I was able to buy my parts from the hardware (nuts, bolts, screws) aisle at Lowe's.

The rubber part on the 2007-2008 seat cowl is held on by three metric screws. The ones that I found came 2 per pack ($0.68 each), and I don't know the size. I had the ones from my OEM seat cowl, so I was able to measure it in the store and buy the matching size. The Lowe's receipt lists this part as "138433 METRIC MS PAN/SLO" if that helps.

You'll also need 4 u-shaped speed nuts. They allow you to screw the mounting plate onto the bottom side of the cowl. I bought speed nuts with #10 sized holes. These were in the plastic drawers at Lowe's as well, and they came 2 per pack ($0.68 each). The receipt says "139295 SPEED NUTS "U"#10".

I bought a pack of 8 #10 sized washers to act as spacers to help level the seat cowl. I also bought some #10 self-tapping screws in 1/2" and 3/4" lengths. You need to be careful with this. It seems that the OEM cowl has 5/8" long screws, and those are not long enough to poke into the seat cowl plastic when mounting the plate the the cowl. In some cases, the 1/2" screws I bought weren't long enough, but the 3/4" screws began to dig into the seat cowl plastic. I had to use a file to shorten the 3/4" screws.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts