Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm still real new here. I wanted to introduce my bike and ask a general question. This is agent orange. My very first larger than 50cc bike. She's also the bike I always wanted. I grew up in a family of Harley enthusiasts.

I'm considering removing the lower plastics on the bike. The extra plastic is a bit overkill in my opinion. The extra plastic panels also force me to cut in order to mount sliders or an engine case cover. Does that make sense? Or should I suck it up and keep trying to figure out how to cleanly cut the contour plastics?

Cheers,

Ken

Attachments

·
Banned
2,603 Posts
I'm not sure how to answer your question; not sure why you'd have to cut plastics to install frame sliders :dontknow: but welcome and good luck!

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
I'm not sure how to answer your question; not sure why you'd have to cut plastics to install frame sliders :dontknow: but welcome and good luck!

really? you dont know why you would have to cut plastics? you owned a rr ...... the plastics cover the mounting points for the sliders...

but your best bet OP is to figgure out how to cut them (hole saw tends to work best) and keep the plastics, unless you get rid of all of them ... as each piece tends to rely on the next for stability.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
just replace the lower fairing with the '07-'08 model fairing and everything will be exposed again

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just replace the lower fairing with the '07-'08 model fairing and everything will be exposed again
Brilliant! Now off to find the right lower fairing to use. Great suggestion. Looking at stock photos they look like bolt on replacements.

Cheers,

Ken

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
:+1: on that advice... i would try to find some shinny black ones from an 07-08. it would look nice on that bike and really bring the bike together.

IMO the 07-08 look better for that very reason, all of the extra plastic they added for the 09-10 just is too much.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
really? you dont know why you would have to cut plastics? you owned a rr ...... the plastics cover the mounting points for the sliders...

but your best bet OP is to figgure out how to cut them (hole saw tends to work best) and keep the plastics, unless you get rid of all of them ... as each piece tends to rely on the next for stability.
I think he was hinting towards no cut sliders. They are available for the OP's year, right? or are they covered up with the new plastics too.

·
Banned
2,603 Posts

i didn't cut mine :d!ck: the dealer did. :cruising:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No luck finding any no cut sliders out there. All the good mount points are covered by the new plastics. I'd say the best bet is gloss black lower fairings from an 07-08.

cbrfairings.com priced them at $189 for a set at 2-3 weeks for delivery. How does that strike you? It seems a bit high given a price of $559 for a complete set no? Should I price them out somewhere else or is that reasonable?

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
are you joking or drunk? anyways like others have said dont just get rid of the fairings that will look funky look for 07-08 lower fairings and sell yours to somebody who doesnt care. i really cant stand the motor being covered up like that. but even if you remove the lower fairings you still need to cut for sliders... just bite the bullet.

·
Registered
211 Posts

The Frame sliders I got from the honda dealer I bought my bike from have a bracket at the bottom and fit a little "offset" so there's no cutting required. The bracket fits in place with a spacer where the motor mount spacer was

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
The Frame sliders I got from the honda dealer I bought my bike from have a bracket at the bottom and fit a little "offset" so there's no cutting required. The bracket fits in place with a spacer where the motor mount spacer was
These are called "No Cut Sliders" and are not something I would ever install on any bike. The brackets like to break.

·
Registered
211 Posts
These are called "No Cut Sliders" and are not something I would ever install on any bike. The brackets like to break.
I thought about that when I installed them but thought I was just being a "worried newb".....as long as they work for one laydown. Whadduya think?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I thought about that when I installed them but thought I was just being a "worried newb".....as long as they work for one laydown. Whadduya think?
My right side "no cut" slider did a great job in a 60mph low side and I grinded it flush again and its still on my CBR with lots of meat left. It depends on how violently you go down and what you are sliding on.

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
There are times when the no-cuts will work great, and other times where the cut versions can grab and cause the bike to flip doing more damage. It's impossible to predict, or even come close to a good guess as to which type will be better at any given time. I prefer the cut version.

Remember, they are FRAME sliders and that's what they're meant to protect. They aren't plastics protection even though they can help.

·
Registered
211 Posts
no-cuts

I had the no-cut sliders on my bike when I got it. I had about a 40mph lowside on the track and the right one just snapped right off. Didnt flip the bike at all, the bracket just broke and the slider is now gone. I had track bodywork on so i wasnt that upset about it, but the thing still broke off. I'm going to be getting some woodcraft sliders here soon because I know those will slide and not break. Sadly, i'll have to cut my fairings also but its worth it.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
:+1:

Brilliant! Now off to find the right lower fairing to use. Great suggestion. Looking at stock photos they look like bolt on replacements.

Cheers,

Ken
i had to do some slight mods [cutting around the bottom] to make it fit, but well worth it IMO.
:+1: on that advice... i would try to find some shinny black ones from an 07-08. it would look nice on that bike and really bring the bike together.

IMO the 07-08 look better for that very reason, all of the extra plastic they added for the 09-10 just is too much.
they were shiny black, then i painted them flat black. [reason being the gloss black didn't match any other black part of my bike.]

·
Registered
444 Posts
hey spiritofkaos1, where you get that illest sticker?? My boys have that on there cars as it's there car club tag or what have you..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts