Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting gas tonight and the freaking key brakes off on the gas tank.

Ever happen to anyone else? Thank god I was with a buddy who is now on the way back to my house to get my spare.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1377041037.007098.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
940 Posts
Almost broke mine on the first ride I took after doing my MSF class and getting the bike. Freaked me out cause I was nowhere near home...actually I didn't know exactly where I was.

Good luck getting it out!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I was only about 4 miles at most.

My buddy got the spare. And we were able to get the old one out.

Tomorrow I'm going to the lock smith to get a few cut. Yes like 4 of them

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Get one with a thin head and carry it in your wallet

·
Registered
188 Posts
Tomorrow I'm going to the lock smith to get a few cut. Yes like 4 of them

Good thinking. I seriously need to get some extra keys cut as well.

When I bought my RR, the previous owner gave me two keys. The spare was brand new and never once inserted into the ignition. It actually still has the original Honda plastic tube wrapper on it. Like action figures, Hot Wheels, comic books, and baseball cards, I like to keep things mint and in their original sealed packaging if possible.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thinking back how this could of happened..and I think I figured it out.

When I pulled up to the pump I put the key in to open the tank...I then reached to swipe my debit card and the key was still in. I never get off my bike to pump gas (too lazy) I think when I leaned forward to swipe my card my upper body bent the key but I never felt it b/c of my gear and a little extra padding around the stomach...

Yeah I think I like the idea of carrying a spare in my wallet but I already have a Costanza wallet.

At least I feel a little better that Im not the only one this has happened too. And good thing my buddy was there and is also a mechanic so as soon as we got back to his house he was able to get the broken key out in about 2 minutes.

Another lesson learned.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
It is sort of a double-edged sword for the Euro/MidEast bikes that come with HISS; we have to get they keys programmed into the HISS and having spares is never as easy as going to the locksmith and is much more expensive. Then again the HISS gives some peace of mind when it comes to theft but not all that much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts