Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
She thinks my tractor's sexy, it really turns her
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aright i did a search, and i really couldn't find anything answering my question, and i don't wanna go in and look like a fool when i talk to the recruiter.

My question is if there is any way at all that you can become an officer in the airforce without a degree.?

Also, what are you gauranteed a job in the field of what your degree is in, because if not i'de like to make sure i picked the right degree first.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My question is if there is any way at all that you can become an officer in the airforce without a degree.?
NO.

Also, what are you gauranteed a job in the field of what your degree is in, because if not i'de like to make sure i picked the right degree first.
Depends on the degree i.e. law, medical.... Specialized degrees like that are put in their specific fields. Generalized degrees can go anywhere. First find what you want to get your degree in then see if that job exists in the military.

I can't really give you exact answers becasue your questions are too vague. I am in the AF, enlisted, but have many buddies who crossed over to the "dark side" (Commissioned). Hope this helps.

Stro

·
Registered
238 Posts
Liquid said:
If the jobs avail they'll put ya in it. If not they'll put ya in something else. bottom line. Don't buy ALL the crap they feed ya. I decided to not join-up after living with two air force families. heh.
Very True BUT You can have a guaranteed job as long as you don't let the recruiter bully you into entering generalized career fields. If you wanted to become a medical technician you could have it guaranteed and they couldn't throw you into food services. You have to be certain when doing paperwork that is what you are signing. Most people go through the process without looking at what they are accepting before its too late. Before they no it they are on the bus to San Antonio for BMT then off somewhere else to learn about serving food or handing out gym towels.

Stro

·
Registered
617 Posts
There used to be a way to be an officer (or at least a pilot) without having a degree, but that program has been gone for some time. My uncle went through it in the early 60's and was an F-4 pilot. He went on to get his degree while he was in, but he initially was an officer without a degree.

Another option you might consider is being a warrant officer. Not sure if the AF has them but I know the Army does. Many of the chopper pilots are warrant officers, which are non-degreed officers for the most part. Rank-wise they fall between enlisted and regular degreed officers. Back in '90 I tried to get into the Army warrant officer program to fly helicopters. I passed all of the tests but was dropped due to high blood pressure which was discovered during the flight physical.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ajax said:
There used to be a way to be an officer (or at least a pilot) without having a degree, but that program has been gone for some time. My uncle went through it in the early 60's and was an F-4 pilot. He went on to get his degree while he was in, but he initially was an officer without a degree.

Another option you might consider is being a warrant officer. Not sure if the AF has them but I know the Army does. Many of the chopper pilots are warrant officers, which are non-degreed officers for the most part. Rank-wise they fall between enlisted and regular degreed officers. Back in '90 I tried to get into the Army warrant officer program to fly helicopters. I passed all of the tests but was dropped due to high blood pressure which was discovered during the flight physical.
All Branches did away with commisioning without a degree. AF does not have Warrant Officer ranks anymore but I think Army, Navy, and Marines still have WO Ranks. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
aww damn, gota shower with a buncha other dudes???? What the hell, my shower is my time. well i guess not anymore.

·
Registered
33 Posts
get with public affairs office at your nearest airforce base and ask about programs that will allow you to become an officer. their are a couple where they pay for your schooling then you come in. but the catch is you have to stay in untill you are payed up. meaning you cant get out untill you have served the time they require being that they payed for your schooling. that suck because you may not like the military at all and now you have all that time to do. make sure the military is what you want before you dig a hole you cant get out of.

·
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is it really that bad, and even if your going to be an officer, you still have to go thro bmt don't ya.

·
Registered
238 Posts
BenReilly said:
is it really that bad,
Depends on the job you get Do your research. I like what I do. It's an electronics career field 2E071. Ground Radar.

BenReilly said:
and even if your going to be an officer, you still have to go thro bmt don't ya.
Yes you go to OTS instead of BMT but are similar

·
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm thinkin about ither security forces, or osi, i want to carry a damn gun.

·
Registered
238 Posts
BenReilly said:
I'm thinkin about ither security forces, or osi, i want to carry a damn gun.
Security Forces Seems cool but it is not what many people think it is. I know a lot of security force personnel because our squadron was farmed out to augment their squadron due to lack of personnel. Much of them thought it would be like being a cop BUT its more security then it is Law enforcement. The training is cool but the actual job consist of sitting on the flightline all day in a vehicle watching it or standing at the front gate waiving people in. A lot of people who couldn't make it in other careers end up as security forces. The upside to this is if you want to be a civ cop, this is a good thing to have on paper even though it doesn't mean a whole lot in reality. As far as OSI, I believe you may need to be commisioned to do so but I am not sure. Keeps asking away. the more you know the less you'll be blind sided.

·
Registered
541 Posts
BenReilly said:
aww damn, gota shower with a buncha other dudes???? What the hell, my shower is my time. well i guess not anymore.
lol. when ya go into the military. nothings yours anymore. You have to get permission for anything.

My brothers been in for a few years now and he still gets locked down. I love the benefits, love the oportunity, love the people, but can't handle that kind of restriction.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts