Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I bought a used Akrapovic slip on off ebay this week to fit to my 2008 - the seller said it was off a 2008 race bike so we thought no problem.
I fitted it today and what a pain - the downpipe wouldn't fit the cat pipe as it was too narrow so i had to cut slots in the end and bend it out slightly.
It was a 3 hour pain to get it to fit and now i have leaks at the join so will have to use paste and exhaust bandage to seal it up (shouldn't be able to see it when heatshield fitted).

Question - would the downpipe from a race bike (i guess full system?) be a different diameter to a slip on? if it is the same i'm guessing this exhaust is from a later model - would this be a different diameter on a 2009>

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
If it came off of a full exhaust (don't know why he'd separate the parts) it wouldn't fit easily.

Full race systems, especially higher end such as Akra, fit the tubing very snugly which eliminates the need for sealing the joints.

You might try an OEM down pipe seal. Its an impregnated ring of steel wool (best I can describe).

They work very well. Just a thought.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it came off of a full exhaust (don't know why he'd separate the parts) it wouldn't fit easily.

Full race systems, especially higher end such as Akra, fit the tubing very snugly which eliminates the need for sealing the joints.

You might try an OEM down pipe seal. Its an impregnated ring of steel wool (best I can describe).

They work very well. Just a thought.
I can't fit the gasket from the standard exhaust as it wont fit, if i squeeze it in then the link pipe definately wont join?
Measured both parts today and they're both 50mm - i don't know the measurements of the 09> models - maybe they're slightly smaller?

·
Registered
860 Posts
sounds very much like you bought the back half of a full system where you really needed a proper slip on and link pipe.

the photo on the Akra website shows the slip on link pipe as having slots already.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds very much like you bought the back half of a full system where you really needed a proper slip on and link pipe.

the photo on the Akra website shows the slip on link pipe as having slots already.
The link pipe did have slots already there but to open up the opening more so it would fit over the cat pipe i had to make the slots longer.

The backbox has a part number - M-H65011H-AC but i couldn't see a number on the link pipe

This is the exhaust - Akrapovic on stainless part and no stickers on carbon tip as most seem to have?
Seller said it was off a 2010 model so is this the issue?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd say so. iirc 09-12 is different to 07-08.
Bit of a bugger that as the description said it was from a 2008 bike but today he said it was off a 2010?

I've ordered a joiner with 51mm i/d so will use that to join the 2 pipes together giving an air tight seal along with exhaust paste - still cheap compared to a new exhaust :thumbup: just the messing about i could have done without

·
Registered
729 Posts
the stickers are optional and are included when u buy new in a packet for yourself to put on... you have the lazer etched eddition that honda only fit to the bike when brought new

·
Registered
729 Posts
the only issue u should have when fitting this to the wrong year model is that that bracket by that spring wont line up for u to put a bolt in.. it should still fit over your cat perfectly

·
Registered
729 Posts
when fitting this onto your cat you need to remove that wool stuff, clean the area then fit and tighten up the clamp... you dont need the wool gasket ...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Mog - i removed the gasket but as both pipes are 50mm ther was no way it would fit onto the cat pipe and i tried for over an hour :(
I did struggle for another hour trying to align the bolt holes and managed in the end (just) - i guess i don't really need to use that bolt to hold it in place? (might not be able to align it when i re-fit it with the new joiner next weekend)

Do you know what years the akro was fitted to the RR?

·
Registered
729 Posts
the akra is fitted for 07-08.... 09-12... the only difference in the years is that the link pipe is diffent lengths hense why if u put an 08 onto a 10 that bracket wont line up...but u can still fix it to your bike the normal way using the carbon strap

·
Registered
729 Posts
and no this is just a slip on not from a full system

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so i'm still none the wiser why both pipes are 50mm where the link pipe should be a few mm wider to slip over the cat pipe?
If i do fit the exhaust coupler then i'll cut an inch or so off the link pipe so it sits flush upto the cat pipe - this will move the pipe so the bolt hole wont align - i guess with the couple keeping it firm at the bottom and the strap at the top the middle bolt shouldn't be needed?
Why couldn't Honda make all the exhaustts interchangeable over the years :(

Thanks Mog

·
Registered
729 Posts
use the exhaust clamp at the cat end

1 - 20 of 22 Posts