Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I recently purchased an Akrapovic exhaust and it has been a bit of a fiasco so far. Long story short, I finally received a part that I was missing from my original shipment (muffler bracket) and the upper half appears to be in not-so-great condition. Since I admittingly am not familiar with the manufacturing process, I just wanted to get some comparisons and opinions of others that own or are familiar with these exhausts.

Below are some pictures I took of the areas I am concerned about. Unfortunately they don't do it much justice on how bad it looks. So my question is, does Akrapovic used unfinished carbon fiber for their bracket? Also, does it normally look all scratched and scuffed?

Anybody's input would be appreciated. I am trying to determine if I am being over-the-top or not.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
It's hard to say. I can see the blemishes you're referring to in the photos, however that might have been caused during the shipping if the muffler bracket wasn't bagged or wrapped in anything. I can imagine it tossing and turning inside the box.

I bought my exhaust used, and it was in good condition. As for the inside, I wouldn't worry so much about it since no one is going to see it anyway. And the top/side of the bracket won't be seen either really, right?

BUT, if you feel that you should get your money's worth, then you should contact Akrapovic and get it sorted out with them. You're a paying customer - you bought a new exhaust and everything should've been there, and in new condition. Just just me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're going to try to keep your bike and bike parts in better condition than that but still ride it, you're gonna have a bad time
That's not the point. I am trying to make sure that I am not getting dicked around and am actually paying for a new part. Thank you for your useful post though.

It's hard to say. I can see the blemishes you're referring to in the photos, however that might have been caused during the shipping if the muffler bracket wasn't bagged or wrapped in anything. I can imagine it tossing and turning inside the box.

I bought my exhaust used, and it was in good condition. As for the inside, I wouldn't worry so much about it since no one is going to see it anyway. And the top/side of the bracket won't be seen either really, right?

BUT, if you feel that you should get your money's worth, then you should contact Akrapovic and get it sorted out with them. You're a paying customer - you bought a new exhaust and everything should've been there, and in new condition. Just just me.
Yeah, I have been dealing with Akrapovic, as I knew right off this was not an issue with the vendor. Unfortunately, while Akrapovic has been somewhat helpful, they have been a bit lackadaisical in dealing with this issue, which is why I am making sure I am covering all my bases at this point.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
It just looks like rubbing from contact, like I bet they have a big bin of these things and they pulled one out of it. While they probably do their best to make sure the can tip and 'faced' carbon fiber parts are free of visual defects, they are probably not so much on brackets (that will be scratched the instant they tightened down as intended.) I say just roll with this so you don't have to deal with any more headache from parts exchanging.

·
BOTY 2013 Winner & BOTM Winner 11/14 & 4/13
2,806 Posts
Akrapovič Exhaust Bracket

It looks absolutely fine to me. Here is a picture of the one I received with my full system for comparison.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I believe all CF pieces are like that, one side would be glossy/smooth and the other dull. When you lay the CF fabric onto the mold, you cannot smoothly apply the clear/glossy resin on the side facing the mold.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
BOTY 2013 Winner & BOTM Winner 11/14 & 4/13
2,806 Posts
Akrapovič Exhaust Bracket

In addition to the one pictured above the carbon fibre bracket that came with my previous Akrapovič slip-on was also in identical condition. You really have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
You might want to take different pics of the bracket... you have your full name and address displayed. Thats not really information you want the world to have.

As for your bracket. Looks normal to me. You gotta think where this bracket is located on the bike. Even with the rear hugger you're going to get a lot of stuff up there. Dirt, rocks, etc. But even with a few k miles on it it will look just like that, so it's not really all that "unfinished". Mine looks just like that and I have A LOT of miles on that thing.

Reactions: BonkerS

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might want to take different pics of the bracket... you have your full name and address displayed. Thats not really information you want the world to have.

As for your bracket. Looks normal to me. You gotta think where this bracket is located on the bike. Even with the rear hugger you're going to get a lot of stuff up there. Dirt, rocks, etc. But even with a few k miles on it it will look just like that, so it's not really all that "unfinished". Mine looks just like that and I have A LOT of miles on that thing.
Ahaha, good call. :shakehand

Yeah, I had decided yesterday to keep the bracket. I had spoken with Akrapovic and the vendor and we're all good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts