Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much hesitation, uncertainty, and waiting for the exhaust and a PCIII, I decided to get the Akrapovic Hex SS. I wish I could have done the full TI but I'm in college and can barely afford this bad boy, but none the less I'm very happy with it. Here's my initial impressions:

1. The system looks great. I was very hesitant in choosing a CF or TI can, but I have no complains about the CF in fact it is absolutely amazing; it puts my friends Yoshi CF to shame. (sorry Yoshi peeps, I’m quoting the owner himself...)
  2. The weight savings, even with the SS version, is AMAZING over the stock exhaust. I've read it over and over how amazed others where about the weight of the exhaust, but holding both of them myself side by side convinced me. Even if I wouldn't get extra hp out of the full system, the weight savings alone are worth it imho.
  3. I think the sound is ridiculously nice. It's much lower rumbling than the stock can and has a very pleasant rumble at idle and changes pitch a bit above 7k. Again, comparing it to a Yoshi CF slip-on, it seems to be a little quieter and lower in pitch. I’m a huge fan of how the Yoshi sounds, but again the Akro sounds better in my opinion.
  4. I was going to get it installed at a shop, but finances dictated otherwise, so I did it myself with the help of a friend. Aside from lunch and dinner breaks, and some trips to the local store for misc. items the entire process took about 6 hours. I feel like I’ve learned so much about my bike in the meantime that I will now try to do most mods on my own and recommend that if you have the time + small amount of tools necessary to do the same. It was an awesome experience in it of itself! The total cost was $914.00.
I have some questions though:

1. There’s a little bit of back-firing going on, with a PCIII installed and the akro map loaded, is this normal?
  2. What kind of maintenance is required to keep the CF looking good? I absolutely love the luster it has on it now.
  3. Is there a FE kit that’s available that works with this can? I cut up my stock fender and it doesn’t fit anymore, and I ordered an ebay kit but it doesn’t fit as well. Any ideas?
  4. Those with a PCIII, did you run the PCAccellPumpEnable.exe program off the website? What does it do? Should I mess with it? The PCIII came off of another bike and the person had a custom map on there, so I’m not sure what the previous settings where, and they weren’t stock.
And here’s some pictures and videos of the exhaust:

A short clip of the bike without headers (not the brightest idea ever…): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCK9rau_pv8

Loaded the new map from the PC website: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTKdEPHhBnM

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should of checked this before I posted...but I just uploaded the videos to youtube.com and I guess it takes a while for them to become visible...mi scusi...

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
it says both vids are unavailable bro...

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
having just a downloadable map will not do it for your bike, take your bike to a Dynojet Center & have it custom mapped.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OveRReV said:
having just a downloadable map will not do it for your bike, take your bike to a Dynojet Center & have it custom mapped.
I would love to do that, but chances are I can't afford it. Can you get a descent session for $200?

Also do they tune very throtle position for you? Or do they go for whatever pushes the highest numbers at 100% open? Wouldn't a factory provided map perform better than a half assed map because of my cheap budget?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
$914 For a full system?? If you dont mind sharing where'd you get it?? Thats an awesome deal!! The cheapest ive seen is $950 shipped.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
lucky punk man!!!!! great price, but still beyond my reach. i dont honestly see myself getting and exhaust any time soon tho. i want too many toys!!!

·
Registered
796 Posts
$914 For a full system?? If you dont mind sharing where'd you get it?? Thats an awesome deal!! The cheapest ive seen is $950 shipped.
He said its a slip on with a PC. Not a full, try again :p

I plan on getting this system too, I as well am a poor college student - eventually I'll get there.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
c'mon dude, if you can afford all that stuff you bought for your bike then it is sure as hell you can afford a custom map, where's Birdman when you need him.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
is it just the angles or does that can stick out really far?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
DenBoe said:
He said its a slip on with a PC. Not a full, try again :p

I plan on getting this system too, I as well am a poor college student - eventually I'll get there.
Thank you for all the compliments!! It's the full exhaust, but the can is carbon fiber, maybe I was unclear.

If you are looking for a great deal on Akrapovic's exhaust call Racer Cafe, and ask for Eric at 630 443 5178 and tell them Alex sent ya. If they can't get it for you call Chris at Flat Out motorcycles, at 317 8816 686. Chris beat out Racer Cafe by $30...so I got the full system for super cheap (at least compared to what's out there) and put another $30 into new gaskets and some stripped bolts.

The can doesn't stick as far out as the stock can, but by removing all of the fender it apears to do so. You can make it sit higher and a little more in, but I'm afraid of heat issues since I've removed all heat shields. It's easy to play around with it, so if I chose to mount it higher and a little farther in it's no biggie.

OveRReV said:
c'mon dude, if you can afford all that stuff you bought for your bike then it is sure as hell you can afford a custom map, where's Birdman when you need him.
I'm curious as to pricing and quality of a custom map. I don't want a bike tuned for 100% throtlle position all the time, I do about 3-6 track days a year and the rest of the time I ride to/from school/work. I supose I could save $200, but would it hinder me more than help?

·
Hittin The Twisties On My RC 51
1,196 Posts
I like that can. Everyone tells me that the Akrapovic slip on is the one to have for our RR's if you want a deep tone. I am scared to hear one in person because I know I will want one after that.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
600RRyder1 said:
I like that can. Everyone tells me that the Akrapovic slip on is the one to have for our RR's if you want a deep tone. I am scared to hear one in person because I know I will want one after that.
It purrs at idle and starts screaming a beautifull tune at anything above 7k. It actually sounds a lot like a Jardine, but a little quieter and the sound is more refined, maybe because of the carbon fiber. It sounds A LOT like the dual tip Jardine makes for the 1K RR.

DenBoe said:
my bad, thought you said it was slip. Hrm. Thats damn good price for full
No problem bro, I wasn't exactlly clear about that, but yea there's a picture of the headers in there too. I can't complain about the price at all... :01_thumbu

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
So did you run into any problems during the install? I will be getting this exact same exhaust within this month. Thanks for the resources ill be sure to give eric a call!!

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
alexm said:
. Aside from lunch and dinner breaks, and some trips to the local store for misc. items the entire process took about 6 hours.

LMAO did you guys swap out the engine too????

6 hours????? :laughing1

Looks good Bro!!!! Very Nice exhaust!!!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Azn-Sensation said:
So did you run into any problems during the install? I will be getting this exact same exhaust within this month. Thanks for the resources ill be sure to give eric a call!!
Of course...the only problem was a cross stripped bolt that held the header in, aparentlly it's a common problem according to the guys at a Honda shop. I had to visit 3 shops to find the darn thing...but I doubt you'll have that problem. It's an easy and straight forward instalation and you'll LOVE the results :)

Dr.Spank said:
LMAO did you guys swap out the engine too????

6 hours????? :laughing1

Looks good Bro!!!! Very Nice exhaust!!!
Well to my defense there was a high of -5 degrees that day and I was working in a cramped and freezing half built room...so we took A LOT of breaks just to warm up a bit. Ohh and I'm anal retentive about all the bolts and nuts and washers going in the right place and having none left over, so taking all the fairings off and putting them back on was more than half the work. But you gota agree the end results are lookin seexyyy :icon_pidu hahaha

1 - 20 of 31 Posts