Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used akrapovic oval can slip on, CF wrapped, for my 03 600rr, tried installing it and am having some fitment issues.

1) the inner spring is smashed up against the battery tray.

2) the cf mounting bracket that goes around the can has 2 tabs that stick up and the tabs are offset to one side. when looking from the back, which side are the tabs supposed to go, left or right, or does it not matter?

3) i think because of the spring smashed up against the battery tray, i think it doesnt go as far left as it needs to, and so the can comes out angled toward the left and hits the fender. i eventually wanted an FE so i guess now is as good a time as any, but i'd like to make the can come out centered.

i think all these problems are stemming from the underside of the battery tray and the pipe needing to occupy the same space... can anyone help me out?

i'll try to get some pictures when i get home, i had to leave my incomplete bike to finish up some homework :(

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,855 Posts
school sucks.

it gets in the way of riding. lol

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
true, im trying to do my homework w/ a friend, but all i can think about is how my exhaust doesn't fit right and itd melt my fender :( its making me really sad can anybody help me out? i wanna get it right so i can ride it and hear that beautiful sound lol

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) here you can see how crooked the pipe comes out

2) here is where i believe the problem is coming from, the spring is smashed up against that fin thing on the battery tray. only thing i can think of to do is maybe trim the bottom of the tray, but if you guys have better ideas id like to hear them bc id rather not trim if i can help it

please help me!

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,855 Posts
i see, mine is still crooked even when i cut the plastic shield under the battery tray.

·
Registered
202 Posts
is it maybe a slip on for 05-06rr??

they are slightly different from what i gather, and i do believe you can interchange, with some modifications...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i've heard the 05-06 will only fit w/ the 05-06 header, and the mounting bolt at the back doesn't line up at all. all my stuff bolts up, it just comes out real crooked. i talked to the guy that sold me the slip-on and he said his was crooked too. maybe both of us are doing something wrong? if anyone has more info please post!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey i am in the same boat as you my friend... I have a two brothers and it looks exactly like yours. It comes out to the left and I have no idea how to fix it. Anybody with a lot of experience please help!!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Looking at the pic you have the muffler on crooked (maybe twisted is a better word.) Your exhaust springs should be straight. If you look at yours they are angled a bit.You may need to pull the springs off and then slide the muffler off a bit but you need to turn the muffler to the right. You can see that the center rivets on the top and bottom are not centered. Turn the can until they are centered and put the springs back on.

Your only other option is to fix the bracket at the pipe right before the can as that is holding it too far to the left. If you have any friends with a tig welder, cut the bracket off the pipe, bolt the bracket back on to the bike and while you support the exhaust push it over to the right as far as you can and have someone tig the bottom of the bracket in place and then you can pull it off and weld the top.

That is pretty much the only way to fix it. And don't worry about the spring hitting the tray, that has nothing to do with anything.

Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts