Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but i didn't. and i wanna thank you guys and the msf class. i occasionaly reread the 50 ways to survive, and moeman's list of stuff. it really helps. today, i was coming home from work, and there is a semi in the left lane, and a slow car in the right lane. i was being impatient, and so was the pickup in front of me. as soon as there was a gap between the semi and the slow car, we both shoot through. immediately in front of stopped traffic. i lock up the rear (and don't let go), and gradually squeeze the front brake. i didn't think i was gonna stop. i had the bike semi-sideways, but it straightened out, and i kept on the front brake, and made it with like 3 feet to spare.

my mistakes: being impatient. not scanning ahead (basically target fixated on the truck trying to get past it).

positives: didn't release the rear (bike was sideways, and i woulda highsided). didn't GRAB the front brake. gradually squeezed, and stopped with room to spare.

definitely learned my lesson!

one thing i was worried about, i can comfortably cover the clutch with 2 fingers, but only 1 on the front brake. two hurts after a while. luckily i didn't slip off or miss the lever. but i think it did also prevent me from grabbing too much break. i think i need to learn to keep two on the break, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Yes, never assume the traffic speed in front of you unless you can at least first see the traffic. Sounds like your braking was good, probably what I would have done. If you didn't first apply that rear brake, you just may have squeezed the front brake too much in a panic. In time you will master those sorts of traffic obstacles. I just put on some Pazzo shorties and adjusted the brake lever as close as it can get to the grip. I'd say just in the couple days I have had them they allow for easier clutch and brake cover. If you haven't put on the CRG or Pazzo levers, consider it.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@dooley, thinking back on it, i may have actually hit the guy if i was in my car...we all know how fast the 600rr can brake. i think i may need to adjust my brake lever, if possible, and bring it a lil closer, that way my fingers aren't so stretched out when i'm trying to cover it.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
BroChaos said:
@dooley, thinking back on it, i may have actually hit the guy if i was in my car...we all know how fast the 600rr can brake. i think i may need to adjust my brake lever, if possible, and bring it a lil closer, that way my fingers aren't so stretched out when i'm trying to cover it.
Excellent idea! It's nice having the Pazzo levers because you can bring in both the clutch and brake lever. It's a well worth it upgrade or mod.

·
The AC (Ambidextrous Club) Unite! #001
1,866 Posts
Good use of the SR. Good for you! Glad you weren't hurt.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I ALWAYS look ahead. I also never pass while going up hills or around corners. You'll get home much faster if you're patient and use smart passes, than if you end up in the hospital or dead.

Good job with the front brake though dude. Glad you made it out.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha, yeah it definitely was. i actually wondered to myself if i **** my pants, just because of all the jokes you guys make. and today, i forced myself to go the exact same way at the exact same time, and do it the safe way. all went smooth!

·
Registered
256 Posts
a good thing I think about when being on a bike is that you're higher than most cars, which on a flat surface allows you to see ahead further. I don't usually use the rear brake first when stopping quickly. I tend to use both at the same time. but in those situations, I can't do anything but stare at the bumper quickly approaching me as I brake.....

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I think the main lesson should be don't try to shoot for tiny ass gaps in traffic and shoot for them at the last minute.

I have had that before but I kept my cool and relied on my automatic responses and the bike sorted itself out. I downshifted down two gears from a solid 80mph around a sweeping on ramp and met traffic around the blind corner. I remeber feeling the rear wheel step out to the side as the engine braking got ahead of the rear tire. For some reason it didn't fluster me at all, I guess I was "In the Zone." Sometimes riding seems a little edgy, other times I get in complete focus (now more then the former as I continue to gain experiance). Its like meditation, it takes complete practice before u can slip in to the right mindset w/o thinking.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i hate those moments. welll done tho man! i hate locking up the rear tho cuz when i did it once b4, my tires had a spot thats was all rubbed flat :( i guess its a whole lot better than crashing tho

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
glad u didn't crash. i took the MSF course too and it definitely helps. just keep a cool head and don't try to rush too much. traffic is our worst enemy and it would suck if u hit any of those vehicles that were around u that time. plus i know a biker who almost got ran over by a semitruck on the lane next to him because the semi made a lane change and didn't see the bike. ride safe and ride hard!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts