Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at the hands of a impatient cager .

So we (like a lot of people across the U.S. today) had storms all day.
Around 6:30 things cleared off for a bit and I decided to go out for a quick ride on the little ninja. I went back road exploring for a while before finally coming to a familiar stretch of twisty highway. When I got to the stop sign I saw a truck quite a bit down the road but decided to not wait for him to pass because I didn't want to be stuck behind a cage in one of the only fun sections of road around. The truck was a ways off yet and I figured I'd be gone before he got anywhere near me. Well I pull out and shortly after notice him closing pretty quick on me. Now idk why but I have this thing about liking my personal space when I'm on a bike. I was checkin up on him often in my mirror as he kept getting closer. When we got to the curves I was able to gain a bit of space seeing as I could get through them faster while not breaking the speed limit...at least not by much ....lol.
Come the next straight he gets back up on me and I decided im just not liking this one bit. I decide im getting off next road, let him do his thing, and I'll learn some more local back roads. Well I see the road coming up and I hit my blinker, I also flash my rear light a couple times to get his attention. As I begin to slow I check up on him and make sure he isn't doing anything too stupid. He seems to be behind me well enough. Another second passes and im slowing quickly now and about to turn left onto the road. I start to initiate the turn and I get this gut feeling to check my mirror one more time... and I'm glad I did. As I'm starting to get close to crossing the dividing line I check my mirror and all I can catch of him is the very edge of his right headlight moving out of view of my mirror and then right on past me. He apparently decided he couldn't afford to slow down for me as I prepared for the turn and decides to pass me on the left side as im turning left. I flicked the bike the other way quickly and came within inches of either turning right into him or him rear-ending me. He was doing at least 60 when he passed me... I know that would of had a sucky ending if I wouldn't of seen him.
As he pulled back into the right lane I see him looking back at me in his mirror trying to figure out what just almost happened .

I wanted to share this as a reminder to always know what is around you at all times... I attribute years of dirtbiking ,learning how to respond without thinking and defensive driving to me still being alive right now. Oh and God too... I normally would of just made the turn seeing as I just checked my mirror a second or two earlier and the guy was where he should of been. It was a strong gut feeling that made me check again one last time... ... glad I didn't ignore it!

·
Registered
444 Posts
yeah good instincts for sure, I hate that most cagers pay no real attention to bikers and love to hate on us.. I've even had cagers say to me, I hate bikers especially when there splitting lanes, I would hit them on purpose.. WTF!!! If I get the feeling a cager is trying to tailgate me or try something foolish, I'll turn around and wave to them to back off.. if that doesn't work, I'll either take off and gap them or pull over and let them go ahead, give them couple mins and then hit the part of the road you like..

·
Banned
2,603 Posts
yeah good instincts for sure, I hate that most cagers pay no real attention to bikers and love to hate on us.. I've even had cagers say to me, I hate bikers especially when there splitting lanes, I would hit them on purpose.. WTF!!!

:+1: It's a sick world :sad3: :cursin:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Yeah all I was left thinking is ,"DANGIT I cant get killed yet, I'm picking up my CBR this weekend and I want at least one chance to ride it !!! ". lol in all seriousness though yeah it was a big reminder of how important it is to never let your guard down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts