Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well pulled into the garage today as usual, was in a cocky mood so popped the clutch a few times doing some millisecond burnouts in the garage before shutting it down. (First time I've ever done that, but what the hell.)

That's not not really the reason why I got in trouble, but I popped the kickstand down, went to get off, and the f'n stand had popped back up! I thought I heard it go down, but what I heard was it coming back up.

ARGH! I've read about this happening, and actually (usually) consciously think about it every time I put the stand down, but it sounded exactly like the stand had went down, but it didn't.

I was halfway off the bike, and it was falling. I have NO IDEA how, but I managed to get both hands on the grips in a flash, and halfway off in an awkward position, I somehow managed to stop the bike like an inch off the ground, and muscled it back up. I guess my 230 lbs came in handy. That f'er felt heavy that close to the ground, using only my hands on the bars.

Now it feels like I pulled 4-5 muscles in my old-ass body doing it though, and I feel like crap with all the adrenalin. Worth it though to save it. I have sliders but not yet installed.

Damn man, I am going to start being SURE, ie. feeling the stand there in place before getting off. I didn't think I'd ever do this, but it happened!

I haven't dropped or dumped a bike in like 15 years, but damn I almost blew my record!

·
Registered
66 Posts
same thing happened to me the first day i got my bike but all 150lbs of my couldnt save it thank god it was in the grass and didnt do anything but now im always afraid its going to happen again

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ever since I started riding years ago, I have always heard people tell these stories over and over.

It's become a force of habit for myself to put the kickstand down (while you're still on it) and then when it is down, ease the bike to the side, as per usual, and then tug it back once or twice, checking it is in place before getting off.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
puahahaha... that happened to me too... except it happened right when i was about to sell the bike right in front of the new seller!!!! i caught it halfway but couldn't get it the rest of the way... so managed to squeak out "help me..." to the guy and he helped me the rest of the way.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
I always put the stand down, take my gloves off, turn the wheel all the way to the left and lean it over while still sitting on it. If it stops leaning, I get off. It cant go down with me on top. Screw droppin it, though I've had a couple scares walking it out of my apartment and backing it in the door. and since were all tellin out weight 215 bitches. lol

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,903 Posts
that is a sign that you should install your sliders NOW.

·
Registered
606 Posts
samething happened to me trying to push it up my driveway with flip-flops on. 1 of em slipped off and the bike damn near hit the floor but i grabbed it with all my strength and pulled it back up.

·
Whoring Is What I Do
5,886 Posts
Nice catch! I've had this happen to me, I got the sonofabitch with my whole 162lbs lol

·
Registered
600 Posts
i shut the bike off....put the kickstand down (and i watch it go down)...turn wheel to the left...slowly leaning to the left as i am getting off just to make sure that the bike does not lean more and more as i get off....and i always have 1 hand on the left grip and 1 hand on the tank just in case if it falls..i can quickly put my body under the bike LOL....i have health insurance....so yeah

·
C.F.A. member / whore
1,700 Posts
I had my boot get stuck in the rearset before as I came to a stop...unfortunately there was nothing I could do but just watch myself helplessly tip over and brace for impact :(

that sucks! same thing happened to me with clip in pedals on a roadbike but it was more hilarious than dreadful!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a habit of kicking the stand forward after putting it down. Everytime I read a kickstand thread the compulsion gets stronger!

Neight, everyone who clips in falls over at least once.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This happened to me with my roommates 1600 meanstreak. I was moving that big o'l boat and I guess when I pushed it forward the lever rotated up (but not all the way up as to give me an audible alert) I began to set it down on the semi-retracted stand and that Fukker got HEAVY quick.

I saved the bike but now I've got this severe case of hemorrhoids....I blew an O-ring as they say. :confused3

·
Registered
42 Posts
It happens to all of us at one point. One of the most impressive saves I've seen is my buddy nearly launching his 1000RR off the ramp as he was loading it in a truck. I still don't know how he managed to save it. Everyone in around gave him some applause.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.