Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I almost got "SPLAT"ed on my way back from work today. It was around 9pm...past rush hour and the traffic was moving quite easily. I'm heading into Lincoln Tunnel to get over to New Jersey going about 60mph(55zone), although I should have been slower, but heck I didn't see too many cars around me, which is quite rare in this part of the city.

Anyway, lo and behold, one of the two tunnel entrance is closed due to contstruction and I see slow moving traffic on the other side. The way the road curved prevented me and other cars from seeing the road closing sign till very late in the turn, and I had to make a quick decision to slow down to merge left, while not too slow that I get rear ended. At that point, I had this gut instinct like spidey sense that the driver behind me was busy looking at the blinking/cascading road closing sign above and may not slow down fast enough behind me, so I didn't slow much.

All of a sudden, I see this b!tch a$$ YELLOW CAB swerving into me from the right with a quick 45degree turn to his steering wheel, I think he was looking up at the sign too then trying to go for the open space in the lane to my left. He didn't see me at all until he was maybe 1 or 2 feet from taking me out. Unbelievably I dipped to the left to avoid him, then instinctually squeezed the front break in horror, causing me to straighten up.

At the moment I felt as though I was in this vulnerable bubble that's about to get popped any second. I understand what you guys mean by "target fixation" now because I just went straight towards the beginning of guard rail. Instead of looking for an exit plan, I'm staring at the guard rail thinking about useless sh!t like how rusty the guard rail is, why I haven't installed frame sliders, damn I need to be wearing kneepads, I hope NO SUV's etc etc...all while I'm staring harder and harder at the guardrail. I get real close to the guard rain in uncomfortable speed straight on, decides to look to the open space to my left.

My worst luck, I start seeing gravels and sand patches EVERYWHERE!!! I had two choices. Risking headon collision with guardrail at 5 to 15mph or swerve on gravel and drop my bike. For some reason, I chose the first, hit both front/rear brakes. Rear of course locks up, it always does for me. I Skidded till my front wheel was maybe 6inches away from impact. WHEW. I turned around immediately to make sure there was no one behind me about to do the same thing. I see the taxi driver stopped, looked to see I was okay, and drove away.

I'm not mad at the guy, because he's just another careless driver. We'll always have them. I came home spooked and disturbed that my RIDING SKILL SUX!!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
HA, I thought that red bar up to the right was your power bar.

That sucks big time, glad to hear everything worked out there. Another lesson learned for you. I refuse to ride main roads anymore, I hate drivers!!! I live in a suburban area so i try to stay out in the open road farm-land area. I had too many close calls with a**hole drivers my first year riding and just decided i can't risk it anymore. People doing dumb sh*t like that, or swerving over cause they don't see you and cutting you off....it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Glad you're ok man...thats some scary stuff. I've had people swerve into my lane without checking mirrors or doing a headcheck cuz they were on cell phones...and they don't even care after you honk - its really annoying but oh well we just have to ride defensively.

Nice illustration too btw...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Some guy actually swerved into me on the freeway. And I don't mean swerved into my lane but pushed me over! needless to say he freaked when I rapped on his window and gunned it tearing off his bumber. Shitty ass drivers.

·
Registered
539 Posts
close call. glad ur okay man. the worst feeling is thinking ur a good rider until something like this happens and then u realize than when it comes down to it, you only know the basics.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wiggawam said:
Some guy actually swerved into me on the freeway. And I don't mean swerved into my lane but pushed me over! needless to say he freaked when I rapped on his window and gunned it tearing off his bumber. Shitty ass drivers.
please redefine "rapping" on his windown and "gunning to tear off car bumpers"

i'd like to know how this is done as a reference. =)

·
Registered
504 Posts
i dig the illustration first off. second, i'm glad you made it out ok. third, at least the cab driver waited to make sure you were ok as opposed to getting freaked out and driving off.

actually, i should have said first off, i'm glad you're ok...lol.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Wow, i know exactly what you are talking about, i target fixated once, it was a stupid decision. riding skill will improve with time, im glad your okay and nothing happened. I have some family that lives on the upper east side and everytime i visit them im glad i don't have to drive in New York.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
I don't know what sucks more...Lincoln Tunnel or your drawing!!

Glad your ok...I used to love screamin through the
Lincoln and Holland on my bikes!

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
charles722 said:
I understand what you guys mean by "target fixation" now because I just went straight towards the beginning of guard rail.

I came home spooked and disturbed that my RIDING SKILL SUX!!!

Charles, Don't sweat it bro. I been riding for a pretty long time and I still have to remind myself about "target fixation" everytime I hop on the bike.

It's normal and ALOT of riders do it (but wont admit it) Sometimes scary situations will do that to you. You riding skills are probably fine, you just got the sh1t scared out of you.

Most people will never understand how bad it sux to ride in NJ/NY area so they cant possibly understand how fuggin nutz the cab drivers are LOL.

I grew up in north Jersey and had a few close calls on my bikes due to idiot drivers.

When I go there to visit now I think to myself how I never wrecked riding out there. The traffic sux,the drivers suck, the roads suck, and there are potholes big enough to swallow a whole bike. My nephew is in his 2'nd year of riding and I'm scared to death of him riding in Jersey.

Just the simple fact that you ride in the city shows you must have "some kind" of riding skillz!!! :01_thumbu

·
Registered
540 Posts
that diagram is great... that's close to how my 92 civic got totalled... some dork in the way right lane decided to turn left from that lane w/o lookin...

and don't hack on your riding skills too much man... there's almost no time to think when you're in the middle of a sh*tty crash situation, so u just gotta hope your instincts make the right decisions for you.

hopefully since you have first-hand experience w/ the wrong decisions, the next time you find yourself driving towards a guardrail your inner brain will tell u to stfu about the rusty guardrail and find a way out :)

you cracked my a$$ up w/ the monologue in your head about what u were thinkin while careening into that rail btw.... reminded me of when i went wide, all this crap going though my mind.... last thing was "maybe i'll be able to keep her standing up when i hit the grass".... lol, nope ;)

·
Registered
857 Posts
things like that make you a better rider. the other day i went sideways in a wet turn. my 20 years of riding did Not kick in. i froze up like a little girl. the bike however strightened out by itself. funny i was also thinking about fram sliders.

·
Registered
638 Posts
charles722 said:

All of a sudden, I see this b!tch a$$ YELLOW CAB swerving into me from the right with a quick 45degree turn to his steering wheel, ...I He didn't see me at all until he was maybe 1 or 2 feet from taking me out. Unbelievably I dipped to the left to avoid him, then instinctually squeezed the front break in horror, causing me to straighten up.
Dude I got side swiped by a mercedes yester dy on the 405. Same scenario. she change multple lanes and next thing I know I felt her door against my right arm. She pushes the bike a few few feet to the left (i can feel both my tires sliding and skipping), realizes what is happening and then turns right. I have no idea why I did not eat it. I turn around and she mouths, "I am sorry".

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
crvlvr said:
Dude I got side swiped by a mercedes yester dy on the 405. Same scenario. she change multple lanes and next thing I know I felt her door against my right arm. She pushes the bike a few few feet to the left (i can feel both my tires sliding and skipping), realizes what is happening and then turns right. I have no idea why I did not eat it. I turn around and she mouths, "I am sorry".
how fast were you going??? i'm really glad that you're okay after physically being hit. DAYUMZ. sounds like a nightmare. was it during the day? night?

by the way, if anything, that night's incident made me a much safer rider. i hope this is not momentary, but i ride alot less agressive everywhere local roads, hw etc.
for example, i'm less zippy on the lower gears meaning less acceleration thus less tendency to speed. I try to ride 1 or 2 gears higher than i used to so that the tach reads just between 4 to 5k....probably saves gas, and still got enough balls than most cars to speed up quickly. I can't wait to go to a track to fully rip it around.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts