·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
Yawzaaaa glad to see you kept your nerves & rolled right thru it

Reactions: Swiss Cheese

·
Registered
532 Posts
Nice save. What group were you riding in. I also almost high-sided Sunday coming out of turn two. Same result I was bucked off but didn't let off the throttle so was able to save it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice save. What group were you riding in. I also almost high-sided Sunday coming out of turn two. Same result I was bucked off but didn't let off the throttle so was able to save it.
I was riding in A group. tires were bridgestone S20's. I think it's time for an upgrade lol.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I prefer the Michelin power cups but podium tires hasn't been around for most the year so I swapped to Bstone. I like them I'll stick with them for now.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
oh nice, you gonna stick with the R10?

I'll probably step up to the BT003RS.
The R10 is a DOT race tire that is grippier than the 003RS, so it'd be more like step down, though to a longer lasting tire.

I've had a few step outs like that, usually due to poor form. I think it's very good to experience those and be able to correct, it teaches you a lot about how it feels and what to do to come back from it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The R10 is a DOT race tire that is grippier than the 003RS, so it'd be more like step down, though to a longer lasting tire.

I've had a few step outs like that, usually due to poor form. I think it's very good to experience those and be able to correct, it teaches you a lot about how it feels and what to do to come back from it.
oh ya, for sure. I meant the 003rs would be a step up from my bridgestone S20's.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Haha... that moment where your ******* slams shut..... My opinion you wont find a better front than the michelin cup, and the rear isnt bad either but doesnt last the longest. I personally love the michelin power slicks. I will also say we have had probably 10 12 fast a guys switch from various tires to the pirelli diablo supercorsa. Everyone loves them, even have an endurance team running the michelin cup front and a pirelli rear. If I didnt have a chest high stack of michelins id be on the pirellis for sure as well. A buddy of mine I ride with and turn wrenches for dropped an average of 2 secs a lap at 3different tracks when he switched.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bringing this back to hopefully save some track riders.

If I was evaluating a student at one of our days, I would make a suggestion as to how you can avoid this ... regardless of tire type or location (this works on the road as well as the track)... follow this simple rule.

Only ADD THROTTLE when you are REDUCING LEAN ANGLE.

In the vid, the rider is still approaching the apex (which means you are increasing lean angle), but you can hear the motor is accelerating.

I have been track riding for 21 years without a high side, and have only had maybe 3 slides like you see in the video. If my rear tire is sliding it is happening while accelerating out of a corner and I am reducing the lean angle so it's a predictable power slide.

Hope this helps someone. This is our busy season with trackdays so I may not get back to see any comments, but feel free to email me anytime.... or join us at one of our trackdays if you live in the North East.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts