Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a twobros exhaust from a buddy of mine, and before I put it on my bike, I was planning on cutting it down a couple of inches and wrapping it in some carbon fiber wrap I have, the wrap does PERFECT on my titanium jardine, does anyone know what temperature an aluminum exhaust gets? I can put my hand on my jardine after a good ride of high RPMs and it wont burn me as long as I dont keep my hand in the same spot for too long..you guys know how it goes...anyways, how do I find out if my twobros exhaust is aluminum or titanium without putting it on my bike? heres a pic of it

im pretty sure its gonna be aluminum, if it is, how much hotter does aluminum get than titanium? and I wonder how a vinyl carbon fiber-look wrap would hold up on it..

·
Registered
601 Posts
It looks Aluminum to me and I don't know how hot it gets, but it'll get hotter than a mofo.

And I'm also pretty sure a faux-carbon wrap will melt like butter on it.

GL

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Yeah, the thermal conductivity for metals is mostly in like with their electrical conductivity. Aluminum is good at transfering electrons & heat, Titianium is not. So the aluminum might transfer the heat to the adhesive whereas the titanium would help keep the heat inside the exhaust.

FYI. Titanium is what they use in brembo calipers, for the pistons. It keeps them from transfering heat to the brake fluid, which would cause it to boil, resulting in a mushy, and faded brake system.

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
crap wrap? looks pretty good to me, it looks better than a shiny silver exhaust on a blacked out bike..if you ask me..

Why would you get a Ti exhaust then at all? Most people like the look of titanium and the color it turns from heat.

I highly doubt anyone here has experience trying to cf wrap exhaust components. Why don't you put on a very small peice on and see how it holds up?

·
Registered
245 Posts
and I wonder how a vinyl carbon fiber-look wrap would hold up on it..
You have GOT to be kidding! :banghead:

(Useful) Carbon Fiber parts that have been painted to match = win
Non-essential Carbon Fiber parts that are there for "bling" = ehh...
FAKE carbon fiber stickers to "look cool" = Rice as HELL/squiddy.

Do yourself a favor (if you want to be taken seriously), go out and get yourself some ACTUAL exhaust heat wrap. Wrap your exhaust piping in that (you can secure both ends with worm clamps). If you're soooo worried that it will be obvious you have an aluminum exhaust then get some matte black engine paint, paint the resonator/muffler with this (think ahead and put tape over your cool exhaust name label, so people can see it to know you're a baller) and call it a day.

You will have functional heat reduction and a legit looking exhaust for a blacked out bike.

You wrapped perfectly good Ti in crap wrap?
:+1::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Things you can do to legitimatly alter the color of your exhaust can:
1. Anodizing
2. powder coating
3. high temp painting

Anodizing would be the bomb. It's rarely done on exhaust cans, don't know why. It has it's ups and downs when compared to powdercoating, but I would prefer it.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why would you get a Ti exhaust then at all? Most people like the look of titanium and the color it turns from heat.

I highly doubt anyone here has experience trying to cf wrap exhaust components. Why don't you put on a very small peice on and see how it holds up?
already did that and it works AWESOMELY on the Ti

the Ti exhaust was on the bike when I got it, but im doing a blacked out/orange theme, and it just sticks out like a sore thumb!

·
Banned
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont care if anyone knows its aluminum, the color iss the only thing that bothers me..

the reason im carbon fiber wrapping the exhaust I have on now, is because I dont want to paint it, because ill probably try to sell it once it comes off, and I can just take the wrap straight off

You have GOT to be kidding! :banghead:

(Useful) Carbon Fiber parts that have been painted to match = win
Non-essential Carbon Fiber parts that are there for "bling" = ehh...
FAKE carbon fiber stickers to "look cool" = Rice as HELL/squiddy.

Do yourself a favor (if you want to be taken seriously), go out and get yourself some ACTUAL exhaust heat wrap. Wrap your exhaust piping in that (you can secure both ends with worm clamps). If you're soooo worried that it will be obvious you have an aluminum exhaust then get some matte black engine paint, paint the resonator/muffler with this (think ahead and put tape over your cool exhaust name label, so people can see it to know you're a baller) and call it a day.

You will have functional heat reduction and a legit looking exhaust for a blacked out bike.

:+1::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

·
Registered
837 Posts
could just buy a cabon fiber s/o :dontknow: just saying

·
Banned
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
could just buy a cabon fiber s/o :dontknow: just saying
thats what im eventually planning on doing, UNFORTUNATELY, im not made of money... :/

so im gonna make do with what I have for FREE as of right now, I may get the aluminum one anodized..its pretty cheap to do I hear...so we will see how that goes...I have to cut it down first.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
hey winning,

honest question here

do you not get the point yet, that these "cheap" or "free" mods to change the appearance are that cheap, or free, because they are not that good

and in most cases can end up causing it to look many times worse than what it is now

·
Banned
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
then ill just peel it off, id rather have an ugly black pipe than a silver pipe that looks good for now..itll only be a week or so until I have the new pipe on there, its a temporary fix..so I dont see why it matters, ill be sure to post up pics so you guys can see :thumbup:

hey winning,

honest question here

do you not get the point yet, that these "cheap" or "free" mods to change the appearance are that cheap, or free, because they are not that good

and in most cases can end up causing it to look many times worse than what it is now

1 - 20 of 45 Posts