Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a gs500 before and wrists never a problem, been riding the 600rr for 2 days put on approximately 200 miles and my wrists are in bad shape.

It feels like im putting too much pressure on them with the new posture keeping myself up, but if I was to keep the wrists in line with the rest of my arm this shouldnt be happening. So i grip on handlebars is key but i just dont know how to go about doing this..

its def not coming natural to be can someone help?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I usually grip the gas tank with my legs more and let the pressure off of the grips a bit to ease my wrists. seems to work well for me.

D

·
0 Posts
Yes, you're doing something wrong. Your weight should be supported completely with your legs and not your arms. Keep your arms and hands relaxed, and don't grip the bars like you're afraid you'll fall off.

·
Registered
383 Posts
They are not monkeys bars. Use your knees and torso to support your body upright. If you plan to ever ride very fast you will need to learn to not support yourself or have a death grip on the bars.

Also try riding with one hand on throttle. It helps. I don't normally recommend this unless I know your riding experience.

D

·
0 Posts
Also try riding with one hand on throttle. It helps. I don't normally recommend this unless I know your riding experience.
There's another way to ride that doesn't involve one hand on the throttle? :bootyshak

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
wait wait wait
so youre saying trying riding with one hand on the throttle...
soooo how many would you recomend to be on the throttle to a novice,?
ive been riding for long time, and even from the beginning ive always used just one hand on the throttle...:iamwith:

D

·
0 Posts
wait wait wait
so youre saying trying riding with one hand on the throttle...
soooo how many would you recomend to be on the throttle to a novice,?
ive been riding for long time, and even from the beginning ive always used just one hand on the throttle...:iamwith:
For a novice, two hands and your ****. Supurb throttle control. :crackup:

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
^^ yea but my throttle really only has room for one hand, i mean sure i have man sized hands, but honestly i dont know why he would sugguest two hands on the throttle....
=)

·
Registered
383 Posts
You have to specify on throttle. If not some noob will try it using the clutch side and then wonder why the damn bike slows down.
Also I've seen two hands on throttle but only once in my life. As panic set in just before the rider crashed. Bahahaha.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so i tried the one hand on throttle, but my problem is what do u do with the left hand when your not shifting? hand on hip?

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
so i tried the one hand on throttle, but my problem is what do u do with the left hand when your not shifting? hand on hip?
Hand lightly griping the left grip on, as said before don't be a ham fisted rider. Just keep the weight on your legs and knees against the tank. The weight will come off your hands and be more comfortable

D

·
0 Posts
And if you're someone who cannot support their weight against the tank and with their legs, it's best for you to ride with both hands on at all times, because the last thing you need is a good portion of your upper body weight being supported by your throttle hand only. If it weren't for the clutch, throttle, and front brake, we all would be riding around with no hands, since you can still ride just the same.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Had a gs500 before and wrists never a problem, been riding the 600rr for 2 days put on approximately 200 miles and my wrists are in bad shape.

It feels like im putting too much pressure on them with the new posture keeping myself up, but if I was to keep the wrists in line with the rest of my arm this shouldnt be happening. So i grip on handlebars is key but i just dont know how to go about doing this..

its def not coming natural to be can someone help?

i had your same problem. A GS500 is a sport tour bike. A 600rr is a SS bike. the ergos are completely different. it took me a while to change up the way I was shifting my weight but eventually I got it. If you've ridden GS for a long time it may take you a while to change.

Just play around with slowly taking the ALL the weight off the handle bars, but don't do anything you're not comfortable with. start slow with shifting your weight and such, practice putting more and more weight toward the back of your body...it's what I did. but once again stay within your comfort, you'll get it eventually and be able to do long rides no problem.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had similar problems initially before I got gloves. I got a pair with some padding in the palms so that might help you as well....or maybe I just got use to the new bike and fixed my form on it? lol. Right now the only time my wrists hurt though are during constant stop & go traffic

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so ive been working on putting more pressure on the pegs via feet, and squeezing my thighs against tank. Not sure how far up on seet i should fit.

My lower back is getting sore now, not killer. I slouch when i sit (terrible posture growing up). so i assume this is standard?

wrists still hurt but i think this is because i havent taken a day off to really let them heal. stamina increasing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
so ive been working on putting more pressure on the pegs via feet, and squeezing my thighs against tank. Not sure how far up on seet i should fit.

My lower back is getting sore now, not killer. I slouch when i sit (terrible posture growing up). so i assume this is standard?

wrists still hurt but i think this is because i havent taken a day off to really let them heal. stamina increasing.
It will take a while for the right muscles to be up to what you're asking of them... When I ride, my lower back is doing a lot of work. You have to keep your back straight, no slouching!

There should be so little pressure on your wrists that you could theoretically let go of the grips and still hold yourself in the same position with the rest of your body. Steering the bike then also becomes a lot easier when you get this right!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts