Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
****. I am so mad at myself:banghead: I pride myself in taking extreme care of my bikes. I just recently did an oil change with filter, radiator flush, plug change, air filter change when i hit 10k miles 3 weeks ago. The oil i use is called Golden Spectra 4 semi-synthetic. This stuff is freakin awesome. It's so dang smooth in the bike. It shifts and runs so much better when i switched to it. Anyway back to topic, this oil comes in liters and not quarts ( i think? the bottle says its equal to like 1.24 quarts or something). So needless to say i put to much oil in my bike, 3 and 1/2 bottles which is like 4 or more lol. That being said i tried to drain about a quart out, but its hard to pop that drain plug back with oil spitting out. I ended up letting to much out. Next day, still dark, gotta go to work, wanna top the oil off, grab a quart and a funnel. Heres where i think im doomed...I grabed the oldest, grimiest, nastiest, dirt filled oil funnel on accident (it was dark) and poured more oil in. On the way home i noticed it making a noise when i let the clutch out while idling. When i got home that afternoon i checked my site glass, it needed more. Grabbed the same bottle and funnel and looked inside the funnel and was like OH MY GOD, i cant believe i used it. I know some dirt got into my crank case. I used a new funnel afterwards and topped it off and the sound has since quit but im so worried, there is really nothing i can do right? Just ride it out and pray for the best? Im so pissed...

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
oil goes from your crankcase to your filter. then to the engine. unless you dumped a bunch of dirt in you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Drain the oil, change the filter, you should be okay?

If you're feeling really anal, run some extra oil through and let it immediately drain to catch any gunk at the bottom of the oil pan.

Fill it, let it run, pass more crap into the new oil filter, then change the oil and filter again.

Reactions: GeorgiaBulldogs_RR

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I would drain the oil into a clean pan and check to see how much dirt got in. If it's dirty change the oil. If it seems good put the clean oil back in... I would at least change the filter just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Drain the oil, change the filter, you should be okay?

If you're feeling really anal, run some extra oil through and let it immediately drain to catch any gunk at the bottom of the oil pan.

Fill it, let it run, pass more crap into the new oil filter, then change the oil and filter again.
Beat me by seconds haha

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right on. thanks, will do today! One more question, on the subject of Lucas Oil treatment - the super thick additive stuff. Is it a good idea to add it to my bike? ive been told its great and ive been told dont add any viscosity changers to a bike because of the clutch. what do yall think?

·
Registered
415 Posts
right on. thanks, will do today! One more question, on the subject of Lucas Oil treatment - the super thick additive stuff. Is it a good idea to add it to my bike? ive been told its great and ive been told dont add any viscosity changers to a bike because of the clutch. what do yall think?
Just use proper motorcycle oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts