Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...this is going to be a bit long, but please bear with me. So I work as a bouncer on thursday and friday nights to earn some extra cash (so I can afford my track day habbit :D ). One of the previous bouncers came to the bar last night to show us all his SRAD he just purchased on monday. I noticed he had a broken windscreen, and when asked, he replied that he had done that doing an endo/stoppie the day after he purchased it. So he asks me if I will show him how to do twisties (yeah...you should be able to tell where this is going now). With his burn-outs and wheelies he did in the parking lot I should have known this was not a good idea.

Jump forward to this morning at 7:00AM. I decide we should head out into the country early. I told him to dress in jacket and jeans...and he shows up in shorts and a T-shirt. I should have called it off then. I know a good road leading up a small mountain that has progressively sharper turns, starting out with a 1/2 mile section of realy easy bends. We do about 10 mins of highway riding on off-ramps just so I can gague his abilities. After that we head to the gentle section of turns. I stop and tell him about looking through turns, not target fixating on the car in the on comming lane and the standard stuff. I mention nothing of getting off the bike because this is definitely not what he should be concentrating on at this point. I told him he should lead the way. He said he would feel uncomfortable with me behind him. When I said I will absolutely, positively not lead, he replied that I should just go ahead and we would meet-up at the end of the gentle section of turns. The logic here is that he would get comfortable and then I would follow him on the second or third time through to see if he was getting his technique down.

So I head down the road ahead of him (doing the speed limit) and come to the end of the gently section. I wait and wait. That dreaded feeling came over me. So I fire up the bike and head back...I found him in a ditch...standing up thankfully! He had ended up low-siding. The bike was a mess (forks twisted in the tubs, bent sub-frame, total loss of right side fairings...). The guy had some road-rash and a bit of a limp...but otherwise was okay. A helpful by standard had called us a tow truck. The guy on the wreked by then proceeded to tell me that he hoped the cops didn't show-up because he didn't have a license!!! Although he told me he had ridden before, this was actually his first bike!

I don't know why, but I feel really, really guilty. I have my bike with me at the office today, however, it makes me sick just looking at it. I am taking it home at lunch and my wife is driving me back to the office. I feel aweful about what happened this morning and know that I should have heeded all the signs pointing to the fact that this guy was more of a biker boy than a motorcyclist. I don't know what I could have done differently, other than saying, "Sorry...I can't ride with you tomorrow".

I really just don't feel like riding anymore. I feel like absolute s**t!

C

·
0 Posts
Shake it off man. It's not your fault he crashed. People are going to ride the twisties eventually and if they crash the first time then there is something wrong with their riding ability. It has nothing to do with you. Go ride the twisties alone. You'll feel much better... ;-)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wizard is 100% right. Why should you feel bad about this jackass wrecking? You tried your best to help him get a good start, and he didn't listen to a word you said. When he gets his bike fixed and wants to ride again, just tell him no and recommend that he take the MSF course before he gets back on it. He will of course not listen to you and continue to live a short and happy squid life.

As for you.. don't let this one experience get you down. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Just find someone else to ride with and keep being responsible and you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You were trying to help him out. There's some sort of obvious lack of respect there when he shows up for some twisties in a t-shirt and shorts. You didn't do anything wrong, he just needs to have his ego knocked down a peg or two.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey, if we were consumed in guilt for all the countless idiots out there-No one would live a happy life.

Bottom line-he's a grown man, making his own decisions...it's not your fault...shake it off and get back out there.

·
Registered
161 Posts
dude.. what in the world could you have possibly done more?!
you warned the guy.. you schooled the guy.. you showed the guy..
sometimes I dont feel like riding, but thats cuse my butt hurts, not cuz
of guilt for some newb wrecking. buck up. therel be better days.
imagine a cluster of some of your good buddies with gear and
ability, headed out on a days worth of twisties and scenery, now thats a 2 tons of fun!

the other day i was teaching my baby brother (6'2" 270) how to work
in the family cabinet shop. he'd never built boxes with the nail gun before.
ya, he shot himself in finger when the nail blew out the side of the box.
some just have to learn by sad experience. i told him " move your hand before you pull the trigger" he was all , ya , ya, like im gonna shoot myself.
well i felt a little simpathy, but it could'v been avoided if he would listen to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
NO! Don't stop riding. Because of the actions of one idiot who did not take your advice you can't quit. The world needs better motorcyclists out there. Wizard is 100% right. Just because he did not pay attention does not mean that its your fault.

·
Registered
205 Posts
situations like this are good for riders like that.

he needs to learn that he willl go down if he doesn't know how to ride well.

edit:

Even I have to say that my 5 mph accident (in front of my house) was a genuine experience for me. It let me know that I was not invincible and made me extremely careful.

(I knew these thigs before and was careful before, but it is different when it slaps you in the face)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
quantum,

think of it this way, if you stop riding that just means there's one less level-headed, skilled, responsible rider out there on the streets... don't let the stupidity of a not so level-headed, unskilled, irresponsible rider rob you of something you enjoy so much. it's like bennyboi said, some folks just have to learn the hard way. lucky for this jacka$$ he isn't dead or paralized. you did everything you could have. granted you ignored some of the squidy(warning) signs, but you were just trying to be a nice guy and help this poser out... personally, i would have probably kicked the dude in the nuts when he told me he didn't have a license, but hey, that's just me... ;-)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: I just called the guy to see how he was doing and it seems that he probably broke his ankle. Ughh :( !

Besides that...I would like to thank you "guys" for putting this whole thing in perspective for me. I thought about what it would be like for me to hear my buddies talking about track weekends and not having been able to ride myself. Or even worse...seeing someone else around town on a blue 600rr and thinking to myself...I used to have one of those. I'm keeping the bike, however, I am only going street riding with the guys I goto the track with. This way, everyone is on the same page! Thanks again...you guys rock :D !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Should you feel guilty? Absolutely. I would.

You took him into an area of riding that was completely over his head, and allowed him to ride irresponsibly: no gear, no license, no skill.

He may have taken himself out, but you are guilty of complicity.

Slightly different question: are you responsible for his accident and injuries? I would say no freaking way. For all the reasons previously mentioned and more, this guy was going to take himself out whether you were there or not.

It's just bad luck that it was *you* who was with him.

Next time, if you can, avoid getting into the situation - don't ride with squids!

I hope you're not too wracked up over this.

ima

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
quantumfield said:
... what I could have done differently, other than saying, "Sorry...I can't ride with you tomorrow".
Well, you could have said, "you are a danger to yourself and to others (me). I wont ride with you until you take your safety seriously. But some gear. Get a license. Then I'll help you out."

Other than that you did just fine and have no reason to feel bad. None of it was your fault. Dont let that asshat make YOU give up riding. We need MORE good riders, not less. You owe it to motorcyclists everywhere to continue riding.

vive' le revolution....

·
Registered
75 Posts
maybe, just maybe this was a really good lesson for him. he may approach the sport differently after this experience. he's lucky and you did all you could do. only one set of hands fit on the handlebars.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A few months back 8:00AM at the meeting spot for a canyon ride my bud phoned to let me know he'd be about 30mins late (slept in).

As is turns out a couple other guys were waitin on a friend of theirs who apparently at this point was not going to meet with them for a ride, these guys were pretty cool, but their "Liter" bikes looked a bit off, kinda dirty, and big O'l chicken strips ?

Anyway they keep hittin me up to tag along with my bud & I to the canyons. As I contemplate this we decide to cruise over to a coffe shop a mile away as I have about 30 mins to waste.

One dude turns the key, hits the starter on his Gsxr and the bike launches forward :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:, guess he didn't like that whole sidestand switch thingy. ok silly but not enough to incriminate yet...

On the way to the coffee shop a couple of em thought they'd show me their worth by pullin wheelies :bitchslap:

Ok so now I know I can't take these guys ridin, it just didn't feel right. It's difficult to tell cool peeps you won't ride with em, but at the end of the day it is prolly the best thing to do.

As far as showing up in shorts and a T" for a ride.... fine I'll bust out the sportbike later, lets hop on the BMX bikes for now, since thats what your dressed for. :roll:

Oh yeah, I've been on rides ending with theLifeFlight a few times, it does tend to sharpen you Squid detector senses

·
Registered
308 Posts
it surprises me when ppl feel bad you shouldnt feel bad he wanted to go you didnt force him you never ride above your abilities he had to learn the hard way you actually did something good maybe he wont ride anymore

1 - 18 of 18 Posts