Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps,

I switched to full synthetic amsoil (the actual motorcycle type, 10W-40) proly about 500 miles ago.. The clutch felt a lil weird at the start but i figured it would be different since the oils are different.. anyways, today when i left work i did a wheelie, clutched it up in 1st and about 5 mins later i do it again and i thot the rear tire broke loose but i did it a few more times and i think there is something wrong with my clutch.. also just regular shifting it feels a lot different than it did before i put amsoil in..

anyone have any ideas? or anyone have the same problem i am?

also, on a side note. I work at a dealership and my parts manager gives me sh!t about me putting amsoil in my bike cuz he says its junk and i have heard tons of great stuff about amsoil, but no it has got me thinking different..

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
amsoil is a great oil...no way it messed up anything. You even used the right weight. Its def. not the oil man...and that guy at the dealership doesnt know sh1t

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
amsoil is a great oil...no way it messed up anything. You even used the right weight. Its def. not the oil man...and that guy at the dealership doesnt know sh1t
well ill let one of my service guys ride it tom but it def feels like the clutch is slippin a bit and my 06 only has like 5500 miles on it..

ya when i told him i was getting it he was giving me sh!t telling me he was guna order me a new clutch and crank bearing haha.. i mean i didnt believe him but now it makes me wonder haha..

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
u didnt happen to get the V twin or dry clutch oil did ya?
i think they make oils specifically for engines like ducati's.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i doubt its the oil causing the problem, but you never know....
the only reason i think it is, is because right after i changed it, the clutch felt a lil weird.. like whenever i would shift (using the clutch) it would basically feel like it would click twice.. idk how to describe it but instead of clicking it into gear in one fluent motion it is like it clicks twice.. like it catches a lil and as i bring the shifter a little bit higher it fully clicks into gear..

sry if i dont make sense, im bout to fall asleep.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
i would pull the cover and check the clutch assembly.
see if the plates are worn down.

how much play do u normally run in the end of the clutch lever also?

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
I've been using Amsoil all my friggin' life. My bike has 9500 miles on it and it's double duty -- street and track. Number of problems I've had with the bike: zero. It ain't the oil. It might have something to do with you clutching up wheelies and your clutch has finally had it. Honestly, it's probably a result of that more so than the oil.

·
Registered
345 Posts
i switched to synethic after about 2500 miles, i too noticed a slight difference. Thou i have not had any problems yet, now have 5700 miles

·
Registered
101 Posts
The synthetic oil DEFINITELY made my clutch slippier. When I was buying oil, a guy buying dino oil told me that his clutch wasn't grabbing as hard right after he put in synthetic. I didn't think too much of it, but as soon as I swapped my dino oil for syn, I felt it IMMEDIATELY. I was told that there's not much you can do about it now, as the syn oil has worked its way into the clutch.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Remember, that the Honda transmissions are very sensitive to moly in the oil and you have to use the right synthetic oils with low moly content to prevent clutch slipping issues. As far as I know, Amsoil has less moly content than even the Honda oil, but I can say that for other motor oils, so read the labels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just switched to fully synthetic Amsoil 10w40 @ 3500miles, and I've noticed a difference in my clutch. I shift more gingerly now at lower speeds, otherwise I notice I get a slight bump, especially from 1st to 2nd gear. I'm not sure if it's hurting anything. I tried Amsoil because the service manager at my local shop spoke so highly of it. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but is this normal?

BTW, I'm not popping wheelies, riding exceptionally hard, or abusing the clutch in anyway.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the only reason i think its the oil is because it has felt the same when im regularly shifting ever since i changed to it.. im talking like the very next ride after changing it..

im not blaming the oil, just seeing if it could be the problem..

1 - 20 of 63 Posts