Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all of these reports of cagers pulling out in front of you when it's too late to do anything to avoid it. I have been telling myself to remember to jump off of the bike and over the car before impact if possible. The stunt men do it all of the time. I wonder if it would be worth looking up the technique for those no other option situations. Depends upon speed I guess but even hitting a car broadside at 30mph could **** up your organs pretty good.

What's your opinions on this. It may save your life but if done wrong, ??? , has anyone heard of this option??

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jezterr said:
and risk being runover by another car on the other side? i think not. i'd rather try and brake as much as possible before i actually hit the other car. impacting at 10 mph sounds a lot better than flying over at 30 mph.
Of course it would be a judgement call based on how fast you are going. Maybe brake then jump if too fast. WITH GEAR OF COURSE.

·
Registered
525 Posts
WherzRoony said:
jezterr said:
and risk being runover by another car on the other side? i think not. i'd rather try and brake as much as possible before i actually hit the other car. impacting at 10 mph sounds a lot better than flying over at 30 mph.
Of course it would be a judgement call based on how fast you are going. Maybe brake then jump if too fast. WITH GEAR OF COURSE.
okay, well if you're going 60 on a street where a car could possibly pull out in front of you that unexpectedly, i would think that you are going too fast for that road. in that case, whichever course of action you take, you deserve a bit of the pain that you've got coming.

but say you're going at a reasonable speed on a reasonable road. typically people pull out in front of you on roads with anywhere from 25 to 45 mph limits. for myself, i would try and brake as much as possible all the way to the point of impact. sure, i may get hurt. but it's a definite thing that you'll get hurt, possibly more so, if you simply try and jump over the car (and what if it's a truck or something??) but if i brake as much as possible, i'll hit the ground at a lower speed, and who knows, maybe even save the bike...

just a thought...

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think as riders we should just pay attention. If there even the slightest chance of a car pulling out in front of me i see it way before and react(Slow down, change lanes, Flash lights ect..) before the cager has time to skrew up.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Being proactive is key. However, this is real life and not the movies. All you can do is be alert, don't dismiss a car that 'seems' to be waiting for you. ALWAYS, ALWAYS reassess your situation constantly as you are riding. Scan ahead, know what is behind and to the sides of you every few seconds or less. Anticipate that every car will change lanes in front or next to you or pull out in front of you. Being prepared is the best chance we have, but it is still not a guarantee by any means. Of course, ride within your capabilities as well.

The visualization stuff mentioned earlier is good for, it programs your reactions to what-if scenarios. Athletes and professionals do it all the time. It's no guarantee either but every edge you can get adds up.

X

·
Registered
595 Posts
if you have time to think about, set-up, and execute a jump over a suprise vehicle pulling into your path, i feel that there was ample enough time to stop a modern sportbike. Our bikes stop very quickly and paired with sport tires, they stop even faster.

Stunt men know ahead of time that a car will be pulling out and set up for the jump, and are probably landing on something nice and fluffy. :mrgreen:

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jezterr said:
okay, well if you're going 60 on a street where a car could possibly pull out in front of you that unexpectedly, i would think that you are going too fast for that road. in that case, whichever course of action you take, you deserve a bit of the pain that you've got coming.
OK Saint Rider, You never speed and enjoy the capabilities of the RR, Go buy a yamaharley!

·
Registered
595 Posts
WherzRoony said:
jezterr said:
OK Saint Rider, You never speed and enjoy the capabilities of the RR, Go buy a yamaharley!
by speeding on the street you are hardly enjoying the capabilities of the bike, you are just speeding...I can do that in my beat up dodge neon. I won't say that I don't speed, but if you want to see the capabilities of you and your bike, there are better places to do it.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MAD1 said:
by speeding on the street you are hardly enjoying the capabilities of the bike, you are just speeding...I can do that in my beat up dodge neon. I won't say that I don't speed, but if you want to see the capabilities of you and your bike, there are better places to do it.
You guys have me completely wrong here!!!

I am a very safe rider!!! this was a what if post. I have seen too many posts where the bike slams into the old hags caddy because she didn't look, WOULD THEY HAVE LIVED IF THEY JUMPED??!!??

·
Registered
75 Posts
back to the point...
since cars pulling out in front of bikes are about the most common cause of crashes, i think being proactive is the key. i feel the most vulnerable when i'm alone out there. i try to cruise with the cover of cagers whenever possible. the car that might pull out on you is more likely to see the cagers you're with. this means running close enough to use cagers as allies. this is great on those blvds. where the speed limit is about 40 and there are a lot of intersections and parking lots along the way.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Kaiden said:
Thinking of jumping? hmmm. Press back. and scroll down to Dont ride over your head prime example of why not to jump.
werd...+1

It is actually the same situation as riding the canyons around a blind curve, you have to expect that something will be on the otherside stopped in your lane and not ride above your ability to avoid the impact. If that means that when you ride with your fingers covering your brakes when in an area with lots of alleyways...so be it. expect it, your bike will stop a lot faster than those little bikes in MSF. use your bike to its fullest capability and practice squeezing/pressing those brakes til you can stop on a dime. these bikes were made to brake hard and fast.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I jumped, ended up in some soft patch on the side of a cliff. No rash on anything, not even my gear. Let me say, I was LUCKY!!! On the streets, practice emergency stops as often as you would practice your wheelies, IMHO, will save your life.

·
Registered
525 Posts
WherzRoony said:
jezterr said:
i enjoy the capabilities of the rr out in the twisties (and hopefully soon on the track), where there are no driveways or side roads that cars can pull out of - even then, i'm watching out for stupid cows that were dumb enough to fall over the fences or deer coming across the road. if i thought speeding was enjoying, i wouldn't have bought a 600. i would've gone straight to a liter bike.

and i'm not saying i don't ever speed. i never said i don't speed. i speed when i feel it's appropriate. like on flat country roads, where i can see miles ahead. or like on the expressway where i don't have to worry about cars pulling out from side roads - just the dumbasses that change lanes without looking.

so don't get your panties in a bunch because someone said you should take responsibility for your actions. don't blame the cager because you were going too fast on a residential road to the point where they couldn't see you or judge/expect your speed very well.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Get a head light modulator and save yourself the jump!

I have had one on my bike since it was new and can't remember how many times that flashing head light has saved my butt.

They start to pull out.......but then it registers. Riding defensively is a must as well. Be seen or be dead................................

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
daleCarlsbad said:
Get a head light modulator and save yourself the jump!

I have had one on my bike since it was new and can't remember how many times that flashing head light has saved my butt.

They start to pull out.......but then it registers. Riding defensively is a must as well. Be seen or be dead................................
I was thinking about that over the weekend. Either that or the strobes that some ricers mount in the headlights. I am going to be doing a lot of mods in early august, thanx to the anual bonus check and I think that'll be one of them.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
sorry for the reply, it's a bit long

WherzRoony said:
With all of these reports of cagers pulling out in front of you when it's too late to do anything to avoid it. I have been telling myself to remember to jump off of the bike and over the car before impact if possible. The stunt men do it all of the time. I wonder if it would be worth looking up the technique for those no other option situations. Depends upon speed I guess but even hitting a car broadside at 30mph could f**k up your organs pretty good.

What's your opinions on this. It may save your life but if done wrong, ??? , has anyone heard of this option??
First of all, I would like to clearify a statement you made. There should never be a stituation where it's too late to do anything to avoid it. I understand that there will be times where some jacka$$ in a cage is speeding like a mofo and pops over a blind hill, but most of the time, as much as I hate to say it, the collision occurs because of rider error. Riding on the streets isn't like riding on the track. I realize sometime we'll get an urge to ride agressively even though it may not be as agressive as we ride on the track it's more agressive than we ought to ride on the streets. We should always be reassesing our environment and allow for an escape route. Always be prepared for the unexpected. The best saying I've heard on there is "ride like they're out to kill you". This a good mentality to have especially in urban streets or streets with high amounts of cagers. There is however something I would like to add to that saying which is "ride like your in a mine field". Besides for cagers contributing to an off bike moment, road debris and wildlife are also contributors to off bike moments.

Now as for your main point, the best possible thing to do in an accident is not to try to do anything or think about doing any unnatural manuvers with your body. If you're to the point where the accident is occuring, there's not much you can do. It's pretty much a craps shoot at that point. Anything you do will have just as much of a chance at helping as if you did nothing at all, and vice versa. It's like getting in an accident in a cage, the last thing you want to do is tense up because that's when the most injuries will occur. They tell you to be as limp as possible that way you're not trying to fight the forces of the accident. The key here is avoidence by ALWAYS leaving yourself an escape route.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts