Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but many of the threads with the most hits / replies are old.

So without bumping up an ancient thread, I wanted to discuss and survey everyone's current opinion and preferences on HID's.

I'm highly considering buying a set of HID's, and before I make my purchase tomorrow evening, I wanted to get some constructive input from you guys.

After a little research I've concluded that I'm probably going to end up with purchasing my HID's from DDMTuning.

They still are the favored / preferred brand for motorcycle HID's correct?

As far as I'm aware, they have the slimmest / mosts compact ballast, the best prices, and I have yet to read anything negative about their product.

The variables I'm still unsure of are in the details. I'm leaning towards their 35w setup because I've read that the 55w is excessive and ultimately unnecessary. Is this the common consensus everyone has?

I also have no idea as to what 'bulb color' to go with. The variance from 3k to 12k is just in reference to what color the light is correct? Does this option affect light output at all?

I was under the impression that it was the 35w or 55w that determined how much light was actually put out.

I'm open to all comments and suggestions. give your personal reviews and experiences.

While I'm leaning towards DDMtuning, I'm not 'stuck' or decided on them, I just want the best quality and something with a very compact ballast so that's it's easy to stow or tuck away.

I'm open to any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance guys. Like I said I understand this topic has been discussed more times than lowering links and rim stripes.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
35W is all you should need, any more and you will have issues with glare from road signs ect, and as far as colour is concerned its purely personal choice, noting that the higher you go the less light you get (but I don't know if its that noticeable)

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
35W is all you should need, any more and you will have issues with glare from road signs ect, and as far as colour is concerned its purely personal choice, noting that the higher you go the less light you get (but I don't know if its that noticeable)
Pretty much hit the nail in the head. 55w does put out more light and heat but its excessive I think. I ride home almost every night when I get off of work at midnight and the visibility is perfect. I've also had my 35w DDM HID's for 2 years with no issues at all. Anything higher than 4300k and you start to lose light output. My brothers car has 8000k and I have 5000k on the bike and I can tell you my lights are noticeably brighter. Choice is up to you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Was not a fan of my HID'S. Took them out and went back to the stock bulbs. I had the 35w 5000k DDM kit. Great kit but without projectors I feel the HID'S are glaring, blinding and distracting to on coming traffic. Also felt like I was getting some weird shadows in spots and a less focused light than the stock lights. Its possible to adjust the mirrors to better focus the light but I still couldnt get it the way i wanted it. My buddy has a 2010 ninja that came with projectors. We put the ddm kit in and they look amazing. If only the CBR came with projectors. I know a lot of guys run HID'S anyway and really like them so Im not knocking them just my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts