Sp1 and SP2 are actually names for Eruo-spec bikes. In Europe they are not called an RC51. They are called VTR1000 SP1 or VTR1000 SP2. In USA, they are called RVT1000r (since we already had the VTR1000 Superhawk prior to the relase of the RC51 in the USA). The term RC51 is only for US bikes.
However, there were significant mechanical changes to the bike from 2001 to 2002. and instead of always distinguishing between models by saying 2000-2001 versus 2002 & up models, it is much easier to borrow the term from Europe and refer to them as SP1 or SP2 versions. Make sense?
As far as the things to know about the main differences between SP1 & SP2 in the US would be:
- Bodywork/tank/fuel pump between all years is interchangeable (expect the inner v-cowl on street bodywork) Only difference is color scheme(s)
- SP2 has a longer & lighter swingarm (a common mod to SP1 is to upgrade to a SP2 swingarm)
- forks changed (but either is good when re-worked)
- throttle bodies changed to be larger (SP2 have higher peak power, but SP1 has greater midrange)
- ECU system is 32 bit (vs 16 bit on SP1)
- oil cooler relocated (thus the reason inner v-cowls are different)
- subframe lightened (but is interchageable bewteen models)
- fairing stay changed to aluminum
- taller OEM windscreen
- resevoir on rear shock is different along w/ red spring (vs yellow spring on Sp1); both shocks are garbage
- lighter 5 spoke wheels on SP2 (vs 6 spokers on SP1)
- SP2 has 2 cooling fans, 1 on each radiator (vs 1 on the SP1)
- Full exhaust systems for SP1 will fit all year models (SP1 & SP2)
- Full exhaust for SP2 will only fit SP2.
- Slip-on exhaust for SP1 will only fit SP1
- Slip on exhaust for SP2 will only fit SP2 (but, you can put a SP2 header on an SP1 and run SP2 slip-on exhaust)
Those are probably the major things that would concern buying decisions.
a friend of mine was telling me about a electronic visor that can switch from smoked to clear.
i have seen similar idea on airplane windows, they have a lcd i think in between them.
any one know if they are for sale?
also he said he saw one that has daemon eyes on it that are leds, ever see?
I have tried to change from khp to mph the normal way ..... 'when on trip A press the reset button' - it does not work for me.
My speedo seems to be stuck on kph.
Anyone else have this problem? If so did you manage to changeto mph?
Anyone know why it would be stuck on kph?
So, below are a couple of pics from my old 1992 CBR600 (f2) - bought as the flamed pirelli, purchased some fairings from China for £350 and fitted myself - and I loved this bike.
Smashed it to bits at 4am one morning on my commute, taking a corner far too late - totally my fault.
No idea how this happened but the coolant overflow tank somehow got a hole in the top. It looks burned but it's not by the head or exhaust. No coolant was left in it. I noticed it when I was changing the oil.