Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between RC's... for example SP1 and SP2? I didnt even know that there were different ones.... anyone know?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kind of like asking whats the difference between a 2005 600rr and a 2007 600rr. The SP1 came before the SP2.

·
Registered
708 Posts
sp1-sp2

What are the differences between RC's... for example SP1 and SP2? I didnt even know that there were different ones.... anyone know?
Cosmetically the bike virtually looks the same other than paint scheme and color of frame between the sp1 and sp2.

2000-2001 was the sp1 version
2002-2006 is the sp2 version

I would say the main differences from the sp1 to sp2 version are. The sp2 has, is:

Bigger throttle bodies
Lighter/stronger swingarm
Slight modified frame / lighter and change in fork position
Bike is lighter then sp1 versions

Hope this helps. I currently have a 2000 sp1, love the daym thing..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sp1 and SP2 are actually names for Eruo-spec bikes. In Europe they are not called an RC51. They are called VTR1000 SP1 or VTR1000 SP2. In USA, they are called RVT1000r (since we already had the VTR1000 Superhawk prior to the relase of the RC51 in the USA). The term RC51 is only for US bikes.

However, there were significant mechanical changes to the bike from 2001 to 2002. and instead of always distinguishing between models by saying 2000-2001 versus 2002 & up models, it is much easier to borrow the term from Europe and refer to them as SP1 or SP2 versions. Make sense?

As far as the things to know about the main differences between SP1 & SP2 in the US would be:

- Bodywork/tank/fuel pump between all years is interchangeable (expect the inner v-cowl on street bodywork) Only difference is color scheme(s)
- SP2 has a longer & lighter swingarm (a common mod to SP1 is to upgrade to a SP2 swingarm)
- forks changed (but either is good when re-worked)
- throttle bodies changed to be larger (SP2 have higher peak power, but SP1 has greater midrange)
- ECU system is 32 bit (vs 16 bit on SP1)
- oil cooler relocated (thus the reason inner v-cowls are different)
- subframe lightened (but is interchageable bewteen models)
- fairing stay changed to aluminum
- taller OEM windscreen
- resevoir on rear shock is different along w/ red spring (vs yellow spring on Sp1); both shocks are garbage
- lighter 5 spoke wheels on SP2 (vs 6 spokers on SP1)
- SP2 has 2 cooling fans, 1 on each radiator (vs 1 on the SP1)
- Full exhaust systems for SP1 will fit all year models (SP1 & SP2)
- Full exhaust for SP2 will only fit SP2.
- Slip-on exhaust for SP1 will only fit SP1
- Slip on exhaust for SP2 will only fit SP2 (but, you can put a SP2 header on an SP1 and run SP2 slip-on exhaust)

Those are probably the major things that would concern buying decisions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts