Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as many of you've probably seen, I've been all over this thread trying to figure out my Charging system problem.

So far I've replaced, Stator - Battery - Regulator/Rectifier(3x)

I've Been testing the voltage Before/After I ride.

Results are that around mid 13.7 +/- before i leave. Then around 11.9 +/- at 4-6k;

All stator Coils look mint still

Any ideads?

Have noticed that my fan has been sounding really funny, And Thought i smelt Burning Rubber from around that area one day. IF there was a short with the Fan, Could that be were I'm getting my leakage at?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Is your fan always on. It shouldn't turn on at all until your water temperature reaches around 220 degrees. So if it is on all the time then that is a problem for sure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
sounds like it is. It sounds like it spins faster and faster the more throttle i give it. If im going down the road. Let of gas then give it gas (rinse and repeat) i can hear it slow down when i let off, then start spinning faster and faster the second i give it gas.

Wouldn't hurt to much to just leave it unplugged for a week or so should it? Temps are barelly going to break 60-65, and all my side fairing are off

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like it is. It sounds like it spins faster and faster the more throttle i give it. If im going down the road. Let of gas then give it gas (rinse and repeat) i can hear it slow down when i let off, then start spinning more and more the second i give it gas.

Wouldn't hurt to much to just leave it unplugged for a week or so should it? Temps are barelly going to break 60-65, and all my side fairing are off

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ok I'm assuming you are using temps in Celsius? Which means the fan shouldn't turn on until about 104 C. My normal operating temperature is about 173 F (78 C). I don't want to give you bad info, but 1 ride with it unplugged probably wouldn't hurt it as long as you keep an eye on the temp. I would ride it once with it unplugged and then check the voltage again. If its good I would replace the fan. Either that or what ever is telling the fan to turn on.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Disconnect the battery while the bike is running.

You can also use an ammeter from the regulator-battery connection to see if you are generating sufficient voltage/amperage to charge the battery/sustain the bike.

It doesn't sound like you are.

Places to check: Stator wires, ground points, battery charge (put it on a charger)

Are all the parts you've bought NIB OEM parts?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Went to a buddys house who Loves to wire stuff (subs/Amps and all that stuff). we unplugged the Battery, and Put a 12v charger thing on it to see if there were any shorts and it was reading good.

So we took start case off, and that looked all good.

So we then Unplugged the stator, and connected the battery, and started the bike, got a Voltage read, Plugged the stator back in, and it read the same as if it was off.

That mean I could Have a bad stator ( Brand new http://www.ebay.com/itm/281281045196?item=281281045196&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr )

The R/R i have in it right now (
)

kept buying Ones with the Rubber backing, and they would just melt, and short out. SO i got this one because of the Solid backing

And I just Bought a brand new Battery, and a 12v Charger/Maintainer. All ways on the charger.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
sorry to hear of your problems. check out this link, all the problems/solutions are similar:
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/29102-stator-tests/page-7

if it is your stator, that's an easy fix. i highly recommend also replacing the wires from the stator with heavier gauge wires, same with R/R wires. stock wires are too small and don't handle loads very well. also clean all contact points and grounds. make sure all harnesses are in great shape. not sure where your R/R is but it might not be a bad idea to move it up front where it gets good air flow. on my 05 i have it right next to the radiator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts