Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend told me an interesting story about riding a popular park road near Marble Falls, TX yesterday, along with his usual riding group.

While completely leaned over in a turn a Park Ranger passed the group in the opposite direction. They continued with the ride, which was approximately another 10 miles to the park exit. When the group reached the park exit my friend waited on the side of the road for the few stragglers of the group as the rest went on and rallied about a block away outside the park.

While my friend was stopped at the exit the Ranger truck pulls up behind him and lights him up. The Ranger asks "You know why you got pulled over?" and my friend says "You didn't pull me over, I've been parked here for a few minutes, but I think I know why you pulled up." About this time the stragglers pulled up and the Ranger asks them if they are with the group. They say "yes" and he tells them to move along, that their friends are gonna be here for a while. He then looks down the road and asks my friend to get back on his bike and RIDE to where the group is gathered down the road outside the park.

As my friend is putting his helmet and gloves back on and mounts the bike he sees the group start to turn onto the highway an head away.
The Ranger jumps into his truck activates lights and sirens and burns rubber out from behind my friend to give chase after the group.

He sat there and watched the group crest a hill with the Ranger in pursuit and they travel out of sight. He sat there for a couple of minutes and decided it would be a good time to leave the area. While he was riding back through the park he was passed by a couple of Ranger vehicles headed in the direction of the other Ranger. Near the park entrance a majority of the riders from the group catch up to my friend and they continue on.

When they stopped outside the park the other riders told my friend the Ranger caught up to the group and got between the leader and second rider. The leader pulled over and the second rider continued straight on the highway. As this was happening the rest of the group U-turned on the highway and headed the opposite direction back toward the park.

While my friend is talking to the rest of the group about the incident he received a text from "the stragglers" saying that wherever they are at they need to get away, because the Ranger had made a call to other LEO's that a group of "crotchrocket" riders had resisted and evaded arrest and the search was on.

The remainder of the group split up and headed out, my friend waited for the "stragglers" and they headed out.

The leader ended up only getting a warning, and called BS on the "evading/resisting" charge since he pulled over as soon as he was lit up. He is a former LEO as well. The rest of the group says they didn't evade or resist anything because they weren't the ones being pulled over. My friend says he didn't evade or resist anything because every one left him behind on the side of the road, including the Ranger.

I would say my friend and the rest of the group got VERY lucky yesterday.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's it in a nutshell. No BS.
It is a really strange chain of events.
Another member here was one of the "stragglers," maybe he will chime in.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
idk, story seems legit. The ranger just wanted to get ALL the riders instead of just 1. It ended up not working out for him the way he would have liked it to. lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
Any time I've seen people get pulled over in a big group it was either the leader who took the hit or the sweeper. I did a 200+ group ride a couple years back, split into 14 smaller groups and out of the 12 groups were clearly breaking the speed laws, only 4 people got tickets. Pays to ride mid-group!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts