Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But with a twist! This isn't about which I should get because I'm unsure of my riding abilities, this is about the bikes abilities.

I have ridden a 250 when I took and passed the MSF. To me, it seemed to struggle/grunt for power (kind of obvious, esp. using 3rd gear at 20mph). There is a 1999GZ 250 for sale for $600. Assuming it's in a decent condition (I have seen pics) then this seems like a very good deal. However I'm wondering if a 250 is even worth getting because within a month or two I would have enough to get a used 600. I'm mainly worried about it's power. It would at the very least need to be able to handle 45mph so that I could get to school.

Is it worth the hastle of buying a bike, getting it registered, then selling it, then finding and buying another bike, getting it registered, plus dealing with insurance?

The bike is just one of those deals that's hard to pass.

P.S. This would be my first bike, and again, it's not about my ability to ride.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I started out on a 500 twin... it atleast had enough power to get me from A to B... don't know if the 250 can offer that.. the 500 was still WAY less powerful than the 600.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Do not underestimate the fun you can have on a 250. In fact, I would love to pick up one of those Ninja 250R and track it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ive been riding bikes since i was 5 years old im 25 now so i know how to ride. but all i had riden was off road bikes and nothing biggger than a 250 so when i passed my test 2 years ago and got a 2003 cbr600rr it was a big step but now im use to it i couldint think of riding anything smaller yes a 250 would do but for me the point of a bike is to give rush like nothing else and getting you from A to B haha.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I can have fun on it, I need it to get me from point A to B. I rode a '91 Suzuki 400 and it seemed like it struggled a bit at 45-50mph.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Make sure you take that 250 for a spin first to see if everything is running right.

If it were me and I knew that I was gonna buy a 600 in a few months anyway then I would just wait. But that's because I absolutely hate going to the DMV and the county tax collector. It's a pretty easy way to waste your entire afternoon.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
A Gz250 is not a bad choice if you're gonna use it like a scooter, back and forth to school, that sort of thing. It isn't really much of a bike though. You may want to look at the Ninja 250, Ninja 500, or SV-650.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts