Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to lunch today and was waiting at a left-hand-turn stoplight in the front, got there first, no splitting of the traffic necessary. As I waited there, a CHP bike rolled up to the stop light from the cross traffic location perpendicular to me, off to the left. Essentially, I was about to drive past him as I made my left hand turn. Anyway, I'm sitting there waiting for the light and conciously thinking about giving him the peace sign for when he made eye-contact, after all, he was a fellow rider, and for the longest time he wouldn't look. So, I tilt my helmet down so as to look like I'm reviewing my cluster or examing my bike while keeping my eyes on the officer so as to give him the peace sign when he made the eye-contact. I'm pretty adamant about the club mentality, cop, harley, scooter, or whatever so I kept an eye on him. Knowing the light was about the turn, I looked up and over at him, this time him making eye-contact, and before I can even get my hand in motion to wave, he tilts and shakes his head like he's disappointed in me. LOL, wtf was that for. I was wearing my A* jacket, guantlet gloves, boots, jeans (all I got), and of course my helmet, so what the hell was his problem? It really felt like he had a problem with my bike. What's up?

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
U got to look at it from their side. The majority of asshats that ride and are stupid are on sportbikes. We had a guy on a sportbike last week take a on ramp too fast and crash killing himself. If u want to run from the cops I'm sure it's going to be on a sportbike. They are fast, cheap, and young people are attracted to them. We had a scenario in class yesterday about a guy practicing wheelies in a parking lot of a school. Would you stop him, what for and under what circumstances. I said as long as school wasn't going on and the parking lot was clear it's fine with me. He's not hurting anyone, but if people were around he's going to get a talking to at least. Then were going to have a class on "motorcycle gangs" here soon. I can't wait for that. I go on a case by case when it comes to riders but u have to admit that the great majority or people riding like idiots or on sportbikes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't mean to imply that COPS are bad. I thought a bit about the best way to title the thread and hoped the singular "COP" would get the job done.. My father-in-law is a retired detective and I've been around his people for nearly 2 decades. I was just relaying that for no apparent reason, I was basically made aware that I had fallen into a discriminary position from the officers point of view. Something which seems often followed by a 6th sense opinion which is morally wrong like racism or bigotry. I guess it boils down to riding a sport bike is like dressing like a gangster or a mod, despite being in my 30's, I'm gonna get punked by cops tired of treating people unbiased simply for how I choose to look.

The below two quotes are great examples of how a reasonable fellow human being should treat another and as such, deserver respect, a mutual respect.

i dont hate other bikers at all.. my outlook is as long as you are not doing stupid stuff in areas that people can get hurt.. no problem at all..

i cut them all slack..

U got to look at it from their side. The majority of asshats that ride and are stupid are on sportbikes. We had a guy on a sportbike last week take a on ramp too fast and crash killing himself. If u want to run from the cops I'm sure it's going to be on a sportbike. They are fast, cheap, and young people are attracted to them. We had a scenario in class yesterday about a guy practicing wheelies in a parking lot of a school. Would you stop him, what for and under what circumstances. I said as long as school wasn't going on and the parking lot was clear it's fine with me. He's not hurting anyone, but if people were around he's going to get a talking to at least. Then were going to have a class on "motorcycle gangs" here soon. I can't wait for that. I go on a case by case when it comes to riders but u have to admit that the great majority or people riding like idiots or on sportbikes.
Unfortunately, Officers with sport bikes are likely the majority of exceptions to hating on bikers so the above quotes are not any more valuable FOR officers than the officer that shunned me would be AGAINST all officers. =) It's cool, I'm still gonna peace out to all 2 wheels. Strange thing is, this makes the 3rd incident with police, which is triple the Harley score! lol.

I think I'll run home and get my Accord and go split some lanes and excessively speed, try and even up the discrimination politics, ya know...

:icon_lol:

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
2,926 Posts
not sure what state you are in but in ny a public parking lot is still considered a public highway.. so you could still charge with reckless driving....

def pay attention to the class on bike gangs.. its very interesting.. and if it interests you alot like it did me make sure you read the book "Under and Alone" . its the story of ATF agent Billy Queen who went undercover with the Mongols under the name Billy St.John.. great story..

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
not sure what state you are in but in ny a public parking lot is still considered a public highway.. so you could still charge with reckless driving....

def pay attention to the class on bike gangs.. its very interesting.. and if it interests you alot like it did me make sure you read the book "Under and Alone" . its the story of AFT agent Billy Queen who went undercover with the Mongols under the name Billy St.John.. great story..
It's not part of the highway. Sidewalk to sidewalk to include the sidewalk, but it's private property open to the public so yes u can still get reckless.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
maybe your fly was down.

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
2,926 Posts
just to clariffy.... a public highway in ny does not only consist of sidwalk to sidewalk..

§ 134. Public highway. Any highway, road, street, avenue, alley,
public place, public driveway or any other public way.

§ 1212. Reckless driving. Reckless driving shall mean driving or using
any motor vehicle, motorcycle or any other vehicle propelled by any
power other than muscular power or any appliance or accessory thereof in
a manner which unreasonably interferes with the free and proper use of
the public highway, or unreasonably endangers users of the public
highway. Reckless driving is prohibited. Every person violating this
provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

it does not have to be part of a highway to be considered a public highway.. parking lots are covered under public highway.. just that they have to have to be owned by the city/school or state

·
Registered
134 Posts
I got pulled over once by a cool motorcycle cop. The guy apparently pulled me over because he got a "call" that some guy with the same color jacket and helmet as me went around (passed) a stopped bus. He reconfirmed the call and it was a different color bike. Then he shook my hand and started talking like buddies. Awesome guy. That's the first time I rode away from being stopped by a cop without a ticket and without a frown. I'm only pissed that they cops have the authority to pull you over without seeing you commit an infraction

·
Registered
251 Posts
...The majority of asshats that ride and are stupid are on sportbikes. We had a guy on a sportbike last week take a on ramp too fast and crash killing himself. If u want to run from the cops I'm sure it's going to be on a sportbike. They are fast, cheap, and young people are attracted to them. ...
Yes and the majority of rapist are on choppers and people that ride Harely Davidsons are gay

Sorry man but i can't take that bulls*it, the cop was an a**hole and he remains an a**hole on a bike or on a tricycle.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Yes and the majority of rapist are on choppers and people that ride Harely Davidsons are gay

Sorry man but i can't take that bulls*it, the cop was an a**hole and he remains an a**hole on a bike or on a tricycle.

But did u know that the Hells Angels were using sportbikes vice harleys to run drugs because they were so much faster then their bikes? It's a fact. I love to ride also. There are a lot more people who ride safe then don't. But u got to remember, those back hills roads that we all love to ride on have a speed limit on them also. I'm sure 95% of the people on the board here do not do the 55mph or so speed limit on those roads either. I'm guilty of it also. I can tell u the harley guys are out there too. But those are the ones that u only see as your passing them.
We have a road out here called palomar mtn. It's famous for it's curves. I can tell u for a fat that people bring their race bikes out there jsut to ride the road and treat it as a track.
So yes in my opinion, we do have a bad wrap and yes sometimes we do deserve it. But i do agree that the cop was an ass, I have waived to many and gotten a wave back.

·
Brown at your service
3,493 Posts
people just dont understand that about 95% of police officers out there let you (the motorist) set the tone on the traffic stop.
Yeah right, that's why I got a ticket for going to fast for conditions. No road sign going into the curve I wrecked in and I was going maybe 10 miles over the speed limited. I lost a friend right there on the scene. The fcker even ran my vin# twice to see if it was stolen.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Yeah right, that's why I got a ticket for going to fast for conditions. No road sign going into the curve I wrecked in and I was going maybe 10 miles over the speed limited. I lost a friend right there on the scene. The fcker even ran my vin# twice to see if it was stolen.
In cali that's correct. Speeding comes in a few flavors. Speed anything over 65, Speed over 100, and speed too fast for conditions. So if u went to court to fight a ticket u can argue that u were still at a safe speed for conditions but u would have to describe the conditions. Obviously if u crashed because u were going to fast for the road then u were going to fast for conditions.

Basic Speed Law

22350. No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.

Maximum Speed Limit

22349. (a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour. (b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no person may drive a vehicle upon a two-lane, undivided highway at a speed greater than 55 miles per hour unless that highway, or portion thereof, has been posted for a higher speed by the Department of Transportation or appropriate local agency upon the basis of an engineering and traffic survey. For purposes of this subdivision, the following apply:
(1) A two-lane, undivided highway is a highway with not more than one through lane of travel in each direction.
(2) Passing lanes may not be considered when determining the number of through lanes.
(c) It is the intent of the Legislature that there be reasonable signing on affected two-lane, undivided highways described in subdivision (b) in continuing the 55 miles-per-hour speed limit, including placing signs at county boundaries to the extent possible, and at other appropriate locations.

Excessive Speed and Designated Lane Use

22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater than that speed limit. (b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction punishable, as follows:

·
Brown at your service
3,493 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.