Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been chasing wires trying to get my fuel pump priming. Well i quickly figured out someone else was trying to get it going too. Anyway i have spark but the pump dose nothing. So I pulled the tank and ran wires off a battary straight to the fuel pump plug. Nothing. So im guessing the pump is shot? Should,i just go ahead and get another one?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yes, just buy a used one on eBay unless you're flush then order an new one from Honda.

You could try to replace just the 'motor' with an aftermarket one. This is way cheaper but also many more potential headaches.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Should also confirm it's really pump:

1. measure voltage-output at pump-connector on harness when pump should be on. Volts = ???

May times, it's some sort of wiring or relay issue and perfectly-good pump's not getting any power even though ECU is triggering it. Easy no-cost fix compared to new pump.

·
Registered
735 Posts
If you applied 12v directly to the pump correctly and it doesn't activate it's almost certainly the pump motor. A healthy one will buzz as soon as it gets juice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you applied 12v directly to the pump correctly and it doesn't activate it's almost certainly the pump motor. A healthy one will buzz as soon as it gets juice.
Yea I did. Used a battery that I know had good power and hooked positive to yellow and negitive to black. Nothing happened at all. im going to say the pump is fried.
Just to see if the bike will fire, can i spray a little carb cleaner in the intake and turn it over? Ive done it to hundreds of carbureted vehicles but never fuel injected.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I've never had luck with that on various models, not sure I ever tried it on a 600RR. Fuel injected bikes work differently.

Thing is I don't think the ECU tells the plugs to fire if it doesn't get the signal that the injectors are getting fuel. Not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It comes down to why you're not getting fuel.

IF some triggers aren't set correctly like BAS or clutch/kickstand, then ECU won't fire injectors and sparks.

BUT, if ECU thinks everything's OK and it's firing injectors and sparks, but fuel-pump is dead. Then some starting-fluid will work. Read ingredients of carb-cleaner though, a lot of the new stuff isn't volatile enough to ignite. Use starting-fluid just to be sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It comes down to why you're not getting fuel.

IF some triggers aren't set correctly like BAS or clutch/kickstand, then ECU won't fire injectors and sparks.

BUT, if ECU thinks everything's OK and it's firing injectors and sparks, but fuel-pump is dead. Then some starting-fluid will work. Read ingredients of carb-cleaner though, a lot of the new stuff isn't volatile enough to ignite. Use starting-fluid just to be sure.
Im getting spark and i pulled the tank and hooked a battary straught to the fuel pump connections. Nada

Someone just told me the fuel pump wont kick on(even hot wired) if there is no fuel. Like it senses if it has fuel or not? Ever heard of sone nonsecene like that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts