Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah I know, you bought your bike for fun and couldn't care less about what kind of mileage you get but I'm posting this information for those who DO ride their bike to work every day and have to pinch pennies like I do.

This information is for my '07 CBR600rr. Currently I have 5600 miles on it and I've documented every drop of gas thats gone in it. I've used nothing but 91 octane from a variety of different companies (no difference really between brands) and I've gotten an average of about 42 mpg over the life of the bike. The engine, transmission, gearing, chain, and tire size are all stock. I typically run about 36/40psi in my tires and keep the chain maintained and lubricated.

I seen mpg threads on the site and posters report anywhere from sub 35 to over 50 for the same bike and after some experimenting I know why. Your mpg is directly linked to your speed (duh, sounds obvious I know). Tire pressure plays a small part but not much really, nothing compared to how hard you twist your wrist.

I calculate the number of miles driven divided by the number of gallons added. I don't do the useless miles per tank method that so many think is actually a significant piece of information.

My lowest number to date was for a 75 mile trip where I averaged about 120mph and hit a high of 156. Yeah I know, not exactly safe but I was in a hurry and it was 5:00am and I was the only one on the road. I got 34 mpg on the trip.

My highest was the return 75 mile trip (same route) where I kept it at 70mph or less (I was riding with a group of cruisers) and got a hair over 51mpg.

Following that was a 131 mile poker run with a very large group of Harleys through the Black Hills (it's bike week in Sturgis). Average speed was around 35mph. It took forever, lot of stop and go, cooling fan ran all day, my butt still hurts. I got 50.6 mpg on the trip.

Later was a 172 mile tank where I kept the speed at a constant 77-80mph speed limit abiding pace, all highway. MPG for that trip was 45.5.

The majority of my 'other' miles on the bike are upright commuting, 88+ miles per day at 85mph indicated. I can expect an honest 42mpg for that. I ride a lot of canyons too, and fairly hard, but have yet to get less than 40mpg through them.

So.....according to my calculator the following results are quite typical:

65-70mph = 50mpg
70-80mph = 45mpg
80-90mph = 40mpg
90+mph mileage goes down significantly

Just my .02 worth, some may find it interesting, and your results, of course, may vary.

·
Registered
543 Posts
yea ive tried it all and the best i could muster up was 42mpg staying at or below 5krpm but that was mostly mixed riding. i am never on the highway so its hard for me to get good mileage. so i just ride and forget the mpg

·
Registered
580 Posts
with normal, daily town riding and average sppeds of 130km/h(80 mph) i usually get 240km (150miles) before the fuel light flashes. on sunday runs i get 250km (155miles) to an almost empty tank. on the days i'm over 180-200km\h, then just over 200km (124miles) to empty.
during the the first 2 weeks, when i'd just gotten the bike, i had 350km (217miles) to a tank lol, and i was like 'why the blazes does everyone complain about heavy consumption!'

1 - 3 of 3 Posts