Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go to start my bike, the fuel pump primes, the starter works, the engine won't turn over. I figure, hey, maybe its the battery. Go buy another battery. Still does not work. With the new battery, its like I got a few "putt putts" out of the engine, I could smell some exhaust, but the engine wouldn't actually start.

I also tried push-starting it before I went to buy the other battery, it seemed like maybe its not idling properly or something. I had the bike in second gear, pushed it down the street, popped the clutch and hit the starter, and it sounded like before, a few putt putt putts, but as soon as I pulled in the clutch again, it died.

Any ideas?

D

·
0 Posts
Really, you hit the starter button while push starting the bike? I hope you didn't break anything there.

What maintenance have you recently done to the bike, or mods. Is your clutch safety switch and kickstand switch functioning properly? Does the bike crank at all, or is it just not starting. You say it wont turn over, but the starter works. Those two statements don't match up.

Can you hear the engine start/stop and starter relays clicking? Have the batteries been load tested and match the stock CCA level? Have you messed with the idle adjuster screw?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the way I'm also reading through the Clymer manual an under troubleshooting, it says:

Starter Operates but Engine Does Not Turn Over:
1. Check for damaged starter clutch
2. Check for a damaged or faulty starter drive gears.
3. (does not apply)
4. (does not apply)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really, you hit the starter button while push starting the bike? I hope you didn't break anything there.

What maintenance have you recently done to the bike, or mods. Is your clutch safety switch and kickstand switch functioning properly? Does the bike crank at all, or is it just not starting. You say it wont turn over, but the starter works. Those two statements don't match up.

Can you hear the engine start/stop and starter relays clicking? Have the batteries been load tested and match the stock CCA level? Have you messed with the idle adjuster screw?
I put on new levers, thats it...it started after I put them on, but the next day I could not get it to run.

The starter is cranking, it just will not actually get the engine to turn over.

I haven't had the (new) battery load tested but I just now stuck it on the trickle charger. When I hit the start/stop button, I can hear the fuel pump priming (high pitched whirring noise?) and everything there seems normal.

Thanks for the help BTW

D

·
0 Posts
I put on new levers, thats it...it started after I put them on, but the next day I could not get it to run.

The starter is cranking, it just will not actually get the engine to turn over.

I haven't had the (new) battery load tested but I just now stuck it on the trickle charger. When I hit the start/stop button, I can hear the fuel pump priming (high pitched whirring noise?) and everything there seems normal.

Thanks for the help BTW
Check the clutch safety switch on the clutch perch.

Will not turn over as in, will not crank the engine (have it spin revolutions) or will not start the engine?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check the clutch safety switch on the clutch perch.

Will not turn over as in, will not crank the engine (have it spin revolutions) or will not start the engine?
I suppose its turning revolutions, as it putters a little bit, it just won't actually start.

D

·
0 Posts
Does it seem like it's turning over strong, or weak and too slow? Not like it used to.

D

·
0 Posts
Could either be a bad battery, the new one is too low of a CCA rating (OE is 190CCA, and anything below 135CCA is really too weak), or the starter motor is bad/dirty.

Best to start with the battery, then pull the starter motor and test it. I believe it's 350RPM that it should spin the motor at.

·
Registered
254 Posts
1. Gotta disagree w/ D here - I'd be SHOCKED if you damaged anything pushing the starter switch just pushing the bike by hand.
2. If the starter motor has an issue, you'll likely hear it - that is, the noise from holding down the starter switch won't sound the same. This is unlikely IMO.

The two big things that cause a sputter but won't keep the engine turning over, in my experience, are spark plugs and fuel. These are mostly if it's been sitting around a while, but a few words anyhow:
Plugs - change em! It's worth the effort to rule it out, and it'll cost you all of 15$.
Fuel - your pump is priming (yes, that's the whirring you hear for 3-4 seconds when you first turn the key), so either pop up the tank and ensure no hoses are pinched, and then make sure your injector harnesses are securely plugged in.

If you changed levers and that's all - are you starting in Neutral? Does the Neut. light on your panel light up?
Or, it could possibly be the clutch switch not registering, particularly if you tweaked it with a new lever install....
It could be another electrical issue but typically you won't hear it sputter at all if that's the case, it just won't go anywhere.
The likely culprits would be your ignition coil(s), bank sensor, stand sw (as Demented noted), Reg/Rect, or bad joojoo/act of god.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
1. Gotta disagree w/ D here - I'd be SHOCKED if you damaged anything pushing the starter switch just pushing the bike by hand.
2. If the starter motor has an issue, you'll likely hear it - that is, the noise from holding down the starter switch won't sound the same. This is unlikely IMO.

The two big things that cause a sputter but won't keep the engine turning over, in my experience, are spark plugs and fuel. These are mostly if it's been sitting around a while, but a few words anyhow:
Plugs - change em! It's worth the effort to rule it out, and it'll cost you all of 15$.
Fuel - your pump is priming (yes, that's the whirring you hear for 3-4 seconds when you first turn the key), so either pop up the tank and ensure no hoses are pinched, and then make sure your injector harnesses are securely plugged in.

If you changed levers and that's all - are you starting in Neutral? Does the Neut. light on your panel light up?
Or, it could possibly be the clutch switch not registering, particularly if you tweaked it with a new lever install....
It could be another electrical issue but typically you won't hear it sputter at all if that's the case, it just won't go anywhere.
The likely culprits would be your ignition coil(s), bank sensor, stand sw (as Demented noted), Reg/Rect, or bad joojoo/act of god.
Valves being way out of spec can also cause failure to start.

how ever, i do not suspect it, as it seems the honda motor is not as prone to that issue as other, mostly older motors.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well let me throw this into the mix...I had the new battery on a trickle charger all night. Came home from work today, put in the key, pushed the starter button...The engine turns over, and I could actually turn the throttle and get it to rev, but it will not idle. If I let off the throttle, it dies.

I'm not automotive savvy, so the answer here may be obvious, but would this point to the idle adjustment or possibly something different?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No never have...not even sure where it is. But I will try it tomorrow evening.

D

·
0 Posts
Check your owners manual. It's the little adjuster knob on the left side of the bike sticking out from beneath the gas tank.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Every time this exact thing has happened to me, it's been fuel or spark.
The pump is priming, so hopefully that's not it. But check you don't have any crimped hoses, might be worth popping your tank up.

Check your plugs! Could be that higher RPMs give just a little extra voltage out of the R/R which boosts through your coils and lets it kick over through dirty plugs.

My .02

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Every time this exact thing has happened to me, it's been fuel or spark.
The pump is priming, so hopefully that's not it. But check you don't have any crimped hoses, might be worth popping your tank up.

Check your plugs! Could be that higher RPMs give just a little extra voltage out of the R/R which boosts through your coils and lets it kick over through dirty plugs.

My .02
Once I check the idle tonight, if that is not it I will try the plugs. I just went over about 15k miles so it might be time.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Once I check the idle tonight, if that is not it I will try the plugs. I just went over about 15k miles so it might be time.
Time to inspect maybe but they should have a lot of life left in them yet!

Definitely worth making sure they are clean though...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts