Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With cars I know it is detrimental to the motors health to sustain high rpms for long periods of time, but given the nature of sport bikes and their high redlines how bad is it to keep the bike tached up to say 8-10k for 40 mile stretches. Will that accelerate the ring wear drastically? Reason behind Ryhme being my commute to work is about 40 miles of open straight rode, I find my self cruising at around 100-1?? or so and the rpms are up...

H

·
0 Posts
yeah i am in the same boat with that....i cruise with the RPM's high....

C

·
0 Posts
Please, try not to go so fast. :bitchslap: Commuting at high speeds is not smart.

The engine should be fine cruising at 8-10k. They like the high rpm's... just keep clean oil in it...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cvlighthouse said:
Please, try not to go so fast. :bitchslap: Commuting at high speeds is not smart.

The engine should be fine cruising at 8-10k. They like the high rpm's... just keep clean oil in it...
I saw that comment coming, some of the roads I ride/drive on necasitate goin that fast because the flow of traffic is around 90... Drive/Ride responsibly that is the bottom line. Endangering yourself and more specifically others to gratify your need for speed is just plain wrong!

·
Registered
931 Posts
i saw that comming to. HAHA if im following traffic going 100. im nto gonan go slower, than im putting myself at risk. makes sence right?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
My Old CBR 250RR had 20,000 RPM. It was best if you kept it over 9,000 RPM. With a good aftermarket pipe on it, it sounded like a F1 Car.

·
Registered
383 Posts
dynamos2000 said:
Flow of traffic is 90? Where are you, India?
Anyone from Gerogia can attest to certain speeds on ATl freeways being around 80-95 on average when traffic isn't bad here.

GA 400 (Nicknamed the autobahn) I found that just doing 100-110 in my car some times I would slowly pass traffic.

I-20/75/85 leading out of the city same speeds.

Inside the city people do a more respectable 70-80....still fast for commuter speeds.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm not a mechanic but I'd theorize that since the pistons and associated components are very small compared to a car, they can sustain higher RPM speeds than said vehicle. I think though that really high engine speeds would cause extra wear on parts like piston rings, and valve seals only because of the extra heat generated. I can't see a problem at 8000-10000 rpms since that is the middle of our power band. Its rally a matter of fuel economy. I prefer to keep the rpm's down when I can because I'm burning less gas that way. Aren't i? :razz:

·
Registered
530 Posts
jdmvtec said:
cvlighthouse said:

I saw that comment coming, some of the roads I ride/drive on necasitate goin that fast because the flow of traffic is around 90... Drive/Ride responsibly that is the bottom line. Endangering yourself and more specifically others to gratify your need for speed is just plain wrong!
That's something many people don't realize when I tell them my cruising speed as well. The flow of traffic in Atlanta is between 80-95 mph anything slower than that (at certain times of the day) is simply endagering yourself. Even when I cruise at 90+ I'll have an occasional cage blow past me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
HAHAHAHA After I sent that I was thinking "Hell, Alpharetta (spelling?) and Atlanta, I was doing 80 and losers were passing me" Point taken :mrgreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts