Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a relatively small area, town population is around 34,000.

Years ago I had a Mustang GT that had an identical twin in town. My twin had ran from state police and managed to get away, so I was constantly targeted and pulled over & questioned over this incident & ended up with countless tickets and $4800 insurance. My lawyer suggested selling the car as I had no real way to prove it wasn't me causing the mayhem in the car.

6 years later I pay $45 a month for full coverage on two vehicles. I had a Cobra which nobody else in the area had anything remotely similar. Used the equity in that car to buy my bike & purchase another sports car (which nobody else has thankfully).

However, I've been pulled over 3 times in the last month on my Phoenix for weird things (I have gone 6 years without being pulled over since selling the GT). I've yet to get a ticket but each time I am questioned about specific events & where I was at certain times. My response has been "I fit the description?? Did the description include a big gigantic bird on the side of the bike?" and to my surprise as I was sure I was the only Phoenix owner in the area, I've been told YES that is the description given. This person is riding in residential neighborhoods stunting and creating mayhem, supposedly ran from a local officer and other garbage. This has come from 3 officers. As I've spoke with them, I've asked how do I possibly prove it's not me and they've said they don't know what to do other than to consider selling the bike.

It's crazy, but madness on the road has never really been tolerated here and the police/state police have always been quick to get control over the roads.

I was riding last night up in the mountains, got home & my buddy calls me saying "And you told me you don't do wheelies!!!!!! LIAR!", I said WTF are you talking about? I was 30 miles away cruising in the mountains...to which his reply was "oh really so that WASN'T you doing the wheelies??". :cursin:

I don't want to bastardize this bike & replace the fairings with crap fitting aftermarkets, it's such a nice looking bike in person. Accents won't do enough to differentiate our bikes. Do I sell? I've noticed I NEVER see 1000rr's....

Not happy...

/End rant

·
Registered
383 Posts
sounds like you live in a hella small town...if you give it some time the douche will probably crash his bike and might even get hurt if he's as squidly as you make him out to be...i still don't see why your insurance would go up for someone elses madness. i'd be dropping insurance companies if my rates hiked up for no reason

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
To avoid the trouble associated with assumption i would sell the fairings and get a different body kit or even get a paint job that would be the 2 options i would consider

·
Registered
502 Posts
or wear a pink helmet. maybe some mylar streamers for the handle bars. make yourself stand out.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL pink helmet good idea!

I've been trying to figure out how I can get out of this hassle. I know it's horrible to say, but I was thinking just what streetracer said - if that's the crap he is doing the bike will eventually end up on the pavement.

I don't want to sell the fairings (if I ever go to sell the bike), as I personally would never buy a bike without the stock fairings. I would just assume it's been down and move on to the next bike, even though that's not always the case.

Some angel eyes, or carbon fiber accents, etc won't be enough to make any sort of easy visual distinction, everyone eyes the bike as the one with the bird on it.

Maybe I will ask my buddy what the guy had on for gear. Maybe I will just get a full suit or a different jacket/helmet combo that will stand out more so than the bike?

Any ideas? :banghead:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ride around till you find him and beat his @$$ then push his bike over accidentally breaking his fairings

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I think they're BS-ing you. One of the LEOs wants a Phoenix, and they're all sold out, so he's trying to get a good deal on a used one when you trade it in. :drunk:j/k.
I wouldn't worry about it. No license plate numbers, no proof...and make sure you have a verifiable alibi.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
I would find out the gear the guy has on and make sure yours doesn't look anything like it.. Then go to the cops and let them know you are the one with the Pink helmet..

That sucks.... Hope you find him, but more than likely he will find you and want to be your friend, so he has someone to stunt with. T

·
Registered
123 Posts
And I always thought we were innocent until PROVEN guilty
Downplay the "rare" aspect of the bike. If the towns that small...I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they figure out who it is and or notice gear differences. Picking up another helmet/jacket combo would be good as it never hurts to have multiple choices for gear. If you start getting harassed...inform them it's not you and ask if you're free to go. Burden of proof is on them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Powder coat the wheels... Do white or Bronze. Take off ALL your decals except for the phoenix, maybe do HIDs (they are very noticeable, and hopefully you wouldnt get ticketed for it) If there were 2 Phoenixs in my town, and I didnt own one of them, and one had HIDs, and one didnt... I would deffinetly be able to tell the two apart..

·
Registered
359 Posts
Listen this is what you do take your bike to the best custom paint guy in town have him take all the decals off and paint your bike black and have him airbrush the phoenix back on there in white and silver and have the baddest phoenix out there

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Simple cheap mod - Wear a sticker that says "I'm not HIM!"

I like the idea of putting your stock fairing away and get an aftermarket fairing on it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Maybe you have multiple personalities and one of them is a stunter... especially since this has happened to you before. I would recommend seeing the doc.

But in all seriousness. I personally wouldn't change my stuff because some jacka-- wants to ride around like an idiot. Like others have said, unless they can prove anything you are fine. You bought the bike because that's what you liked. My suggestions, one or all of them may work:
1. like others have said, a bright helmet, maybe you can ride with a reflective vest. The only problem with those two is that they could say you weren't wearing that when "you" were causing trouble.
2. get a custom plate. Preferably one that is a different color than the standard plate in your area (if possible) and something really recognizable written on it.
3. Buy one of those HD cameras and have it run a time and date stamp so if they ask where you were, you can back it up with a video.
4. Tell the cops to stop harassing you until they have proof like a better description (ie. gear color, plate number) and ask them why they don't just pull up registration info for a 2009 Honda CBR 600RR. I'm sure the other guy will pop up and they can go and have a talk with him.

Good luck, but don't sell it or change it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ask the sherrif to deputize you since you may be the only person equipped to catch this guy. That's what they'd do in Hazzard County. :crackup:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts