Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there are plenty of how-to's in the howto sub forum, and because I should never write a howto, Im gonna place this here to show off the first project for the new bike.

I decided to spray paint the fairings, taking them from the glossy black to a more flat black, as I personally hate glossy :gay:, having every single smudge left behind gets old too. Originally the fairings on the bike looked great when I drove it home, but with the mile long carfax for my craigslist special, its no surprise the true rash showed up after a couple of baths. I figure anything I do to the fairings would be a compliment, and if I fuk up, I can always get some new ones for christmas :thumbup:

I figured I'd document the journey for your entrainment. I picked the fairing with the most scratches to try out the spray paint look on, and if all keeps going as well as it has, then all the fairings are going to get some love.

Blame the crackberry for sub-par pictures

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the first fairing - the left upper mid with its lovely rashes

And some more of the rash

And another

Here we are ready to begin painting now that sanding is complete

After the first two coats...Im starting to like what I see

I'll keep you updated as more coats go on tonight and tomorrow :ciao:

·
Registered
phoenix, RIP. team white, RIP. 1098S, sold. only a cage as transport for now.
2,147 Posts
looking good. i rattle canned the 07-08 lowers before i put them on my 09. didn't like how the gloss black looked on the phoenix.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finished part one of the project today. Did some sanding on the upper mid before a final coat or two, then did the lower mid. Fairings went back on pretty smoothy, probably because my 4 year old helped me :thumbup:

Here is the lower mid ready to get painted

Closer look at the rash

After painting

Also did some plastic weld and reapinted the tiny ass little plastic piece that sits between the two mids near the front as it was cracked and a tab was broken off, held on only by the screw :crackup:

The back

After it was all assembled, babysitter arrived, and the bike got a bath, the wife and I took it out on our date night. The fairings held their own with the only 'issue' was that they smelled when we got home from getting hot. I guess thats to be expected for a couple of rides until the heat changes occur (since its the engine enamel and I was technically supposed to bake it, but the temp the suggest is also the melting point for ABS...)

I want to do the whole bike as this flat black because I think it looks noice, but the wifey disagrees. Thus, Im only going to do the other mids so it can at least match :crackup:

·
Registered
351 Posts
looks good Bro noice work
I have a graffiti so i am partial to flat i never really liked gloss just My opinion :drunk:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doing the right side so we can match :thumbup:

Right mid before:

Close up:

A nice whole bike before pic:

Annnnd, apparently acetone + lower mid = silver :drunk:

Finding that out actually pissed me off because I had to sand again :gun1:

Off I go to the garage to put the last coat on, Ill keep you updated with pics soon.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I like the mounting of the baby monitor. Good work man. I'm about to start doing my track plastics.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone :shakehand Good to know I haven't messed it up big time just yet :retard:

Just finished up today and as much as I would like to do the whole bike in flat black, the wifey gave me the veto - she wants some of it to be the shiny stock gloss.

So here goes:

Just after the fairing was put back on with the help of my 4 year old assistant/daughter

A closer look

Microscopic look

Completed side just after another bath today

And the left side again since now we match!

And for kicks, my awesome bike cover with stats of Theft -2 and Horsepower +50

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.