Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday night I head over to the bar to meet up with some friends and of them was just getting there with his 04 GSX-R 600. Since I’m waiting on replacement left fairings for my bike, I haven’t ridden her in almost two weeks. Since I just arrived I ask to take the gixxer out for a ride before I started to drink. My buddy tossed me his jacket, gloves, and helmet and I was on my way. I only rode for about 20 minutes but I was still jonesing to ride. I took a few local streets and then cruised down to where I work (they just laid down new asphalt). On the way back I hit the interstate for just two exits but I got the bike up to a decent speed.

Since this is the first time I rode his bike since I had my RR, I noticed a few things.

First gear is –a lot- touchier on the RR. I don’t think it has to do with his bike being a year older than mine because he only has 6000 miles on his compared to my 1700. Not a huge difference when I think about how much mileage I’ll have on mine when it’s a year old.

Wow the RR is wide. The gixxer felt a good bit slimmer at the tank than my RR.

The gixxer felt sluggish in 4th gear. When I got on the Interstate I cranked it at 4th and it just felt slow compared to the RR.

The gixxer seemed to have a lower center of gravity. It felt a little harder to toss around in the turns. Maybe it was me just not used to the bike but I feel like I can toss my RR side to side a lot easier.

I don’t like how high the peg is on the kick-stand. It felt like the stand was stuck at first until I realized I just had to press harder.

The rear brake felt a lot looser. I know this is adjustable but I like how my rear brake pedal feel stiff.

The stock gixxer seat is A LOT more comfortable than the RR.

The gixxer in the stock setup don’t sound as cool as the RR (in my opinion).

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I too just went to the gixxer this year.

Another thing I've noticed is that the gearbox feels much smoother than the RR. This applies to going through the gears and shifting from neutral to first as well.

Throttle response seems to be really good, except for 3k rpm and below. That might have something to do with the "TRE" mod that a lot of suzuki riders do, but I don't know much about that. All I know is that it is touchier in the lower rpms

For comparison, my gixxer is also a 2004

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I rode (my friend wrecked) my friend's 05 750 Gix here are things I noticed...

It "feels" slimmer because of the seat but isn't really. It is much more comfortable.

The bottom end is sluggish (like the RR) but holy crap does it pull on top..

It wheelies by its own (which is good and bad). The brakes didn't feel nearly as good as the RR, but its of course what you are used to.

It handled well, not as flickable (and the RR isn't that flickable compared other 600's) but still managed to feel light in the corners, maybe alittle nervous feeling.

It was a nice bike to ride, fast and explosive but....

It was made like Sh!T. The clutch lever had a good 2 inches of vertical play (you could grab it and wiggle it up and down alot), the throttle felt "loose" even after adjustment, some of the gaps in the body where unacceptable imo.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
uhm... your friend might want to look over his bike, because I certainly don't have that kind of play in my clutch lever, and my throttle doesn't have any kind of loose feeling... I'd be a little concerned if that were my bike...

·
Registered
113 Posts
ME2 said:
I too just went to the gixxer this year.

Another thing I've noticed is that the gearbox feels much smoother than the RR. This applies to going through the gears and shifting from neutral to first as well.

Throttle response seems to be really good, except for 3k rpm and below. That might have something to do with the "TRE" mod that a lot of suzuki riders do, but I don't know much about that. All I know is that it is touchier in the lower rpms

For comparison, my gixxer is also a 2004
Yep suzuki made it so the timing was retarded below a certain RPM for whatever reasons, stupid if you ask me. You'll notice if you get going and get into say 3rd, and start off at about 1500 or 2000 rpms, and give it wide open throttle all the way through the gear that the bike kinda chugs and hesitates somewhat before getting to 3k or whatever it is. The only gear that doesn't do this is 5th. Well, that TRE you are talking about tricks the bike into thinking it's in 5th all the time, but doesn't affect your neutral light or anything. Pretty coold mod, not very expensive.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yeah,
I'll probably do it eventually, it's actually kinda a pain when idling, especially with my full system that is incorrectly tuned as of right now.
Getting off from the line is somewhat interesting until you give it a decent amount of throttle as well..

·
Registered
586 Posts
^^^
actually it makes your idling worse, i know my idle is really rough right now, and i just have a slip on.

i have lots of problems when i first start the bike, and go up my driveway hill, the bike stalls even when i have the clutch in.
now i think the tre would work much better if i got my bike mapped first. and then it would be much better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts