Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There had been so many threads about adding extra millage to bikes after the sprocket change, that me & my nephew decided to test the theory out 2 weeks ago while at Deals Gap.

You'll be happy to know that it's not anything worth worrying about.

We tested it one day on the ride back from a gas station to our hotel..

Total real Millage was 142 miles on GPS

My bike 05 600RR -1/+2 registered 147.5 (5.5 additional miles)

Nephews Bike 06-07 Triumph Speed Four -1/stock registered 143.1 (1.1 Additional Miles)

Now, I know alot of you will worry about the difference, but to me, this is not enough to make me worry about it. it's actually pretty irrelevant to me.

But i just thought I'd share this , if anyone is considering changing the gearing or if anyone that has done it already is wondering about the extra miles.
I meant to post this up 2 weeks ago and totally forgot.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
...doesn't seem like a big deal. If anything it may cause a guy to do maintenance a touch early, if done by mileage, which is never bad anyway.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I got the -1 , +2 ... Love it and dont care about milage... I didnt buy the bike from the dealer so I could sell it a year later " lol ..I know a few people that did that. Plus our bikes dont grow in value untill they are classics maybe and even then the milage is way over and waved since they are so old.

I gotta say I really love the performace out of the sprocket change though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I never really checked the gas millage before, but the the test was done on one tank of gas and I went 147 miles, so it can't be that all that bad...
Wow, I wish I could go that far on a tank. With a full tank of gas I usually have 1 bar left by about 100-105 miles.. I think I could probably hit 120 miles on a tank, but it would be really pushing it.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep in mind also that we were on our way back to the hotel with nothing but straight highway , maybe 3 lights altogether. So it was really just cruising along in a 55mph zone.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I am not so sure how accurate that is..

Before I would be cruising at 120km/h at 7000rpm,, now after -1 in the front and a speedo healer corrected speedo I am at 112km/h and 7000rpm.. and that is klometres not miles. Plus GPS would read a whole bunch of points and straight lines not bends like the bike is measuring high way driving or not,, so naturally the GPS would measure a shorter distance then it should

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Wow, I wish I could go that far on a tank. With a full tank of gas I usually have 1 bar left by about 100-105 miles.. I think I could probably hit 120 miles on a tank, but it would be really pushing it.
How much gas are you actually putting in? You can calculate the actual gas mileage and figure out how far you can go.

I am not so sure how accurate that is..

Before I would be cruising at 120km/h at 7000rpm,, now after -1 in the front and a speedo healer corrected speedo I am at 112km/h and 7000rpm.. and that is klometres not miles. Plus GPS would read a whole bunch of points and straight lines not bends like the bike is measuring high way driving or not,, so naturally the GPS would measure a shorter distance then it should
GPS measures route taken, not straight line distance. It is like finding your route on Google Maps...

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Yes the GPS measures the route you are taking.

I didn't mean the GPS measures from point A to point B

I meant the GPS measures from point A to B to C to D to E to F to G to H etc... a bunch of straight lines along the rought and therefore is not as acurate as people think.

also to the OP: is your bike's speedo adjusted to compensate for the gearing change
there was no mention of this..

I definitly think your numbers are off,,, -1 +2 would change the miles much more then you have measured,, there is no question about it.. the ratios between miles and between teeth just don't line up..

the mile difference that you have measured is more like the difference between the stock setup and actual

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also to the OP: is your bike's speedo adjusted to compensate for the gearing change
there was no mention of this..

No my bike has no adjustment... that was the whole purpose of my thread..everyone always that once you change gearing that you add miles, so i wanted to see just how many miles are actually added.... My numbers are not off...we did this specifically to see what the difference was.

What your telling me then, is that the GPS doesn't record the correct milage of your trip?? That's also false as i have tested that too....trust me, my numbers are correct

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
No my bike has no adjustment... that was the whole purpose of my thread..everyone always that once you change gearing that you add miles, so i wanted to see just how many miles are actually added.... My numbers are not off...we did this specifically to see what the difference was.

What your telling me then, is that the GPS doesn't record the correct milage of your trip?? That's also false as i have tested that too....trust me, my numbers are correct

I am saying GPS's are inaccurate. depending on the brand, they are accurate to 30 metres or acurate to 5 metres.. when you take that inaccuracy for a single point and mark 1000 points over a 200 km trip you can see how the are inaccurate.

-1+2 ia about an 11% difference, meaning that if you traveled 150 actual kilometres. 11 % of 150km is 16.6 or 134.4km speedo measured miles,, your numbers aren't far off but they are not acurate..

I am not tying to dispute the purpose of the thread, but I think you are possible misleading people. 10% of 10,000km is 1,000km not too much of a difference,, but for some people, me included it is worth buying a speedo healer,, also with a speedo healer you don't have to guestimate what your actual speed is while riding along..

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never knew that GPS's were inaccurate... matter of fact, I have tested mine over and over and it seems VERY accurate.

·
Registered
820 Posts
so thats at your average speed though the actuall mileage would differ at higher speeds the only reason is the ratio is not that much different from the stock setup the only time your mileage is an issue is at speeds over 70 mph which is the problem for people who do alot of highway riding going down to 30 then back up to 60 the difference is only minimum... your talking adding...... 50 miles to your 1500 mile readout
500 to your 15k readout
1000 to your 30k readout that is not a big deal but if it was a consecitive 5 mile increase all the time no big deal unless your cruising around town at 20mph

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I never knew that GPS's were inaccurate... matter of fact, I have tested mine over and over and it seems VERY accurate.

I am not trying to argue with you here or take away your point to this thread (which is that the difference isn't much)

I am just trying to shed some light here

it is a mathimatical fact that a % change in gear ratio mean the exact same precentage % change in ditsance-traveled

for example,, wheel with a five inch circumfrance will travel five inches in one full revolution -> increase that gear ratio by 20% (to 6inches) a wheel 6 inches in circumfrance will travel 6 inches in one full revolution 20% increase in size(gear ratio) = a 20 % increase in distance traveled

as for a bike. decreasing the gear ratio by 11% will decrease the distance traveled by 11% -> so if you have stock gearing and the Engine spins (for ease of numbers)100,000 revolutions to travel 150 miles,,, then decrease your gear ratio by 11% those same 100,000 engine revolutions will only make you travel 133.5 miles (11%less)

and no GPS is 100% accurate either, most GPS's are acurate to 10 metres,, the better ones are acurate to just a few meters,,, our bikes odometers are also not accurate,, this is why i think your numbers are slightly off

1 - 20 of 31 Posts