Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What to buy for away from home anti-theft?

Are these legit?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/XX10-SS-Disc-Lock-Alarm-Motorcycle-Stainless/dp/B005CCC2P2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1456704927&sr=8-2&keywords=motorcycle+lock+alarm[/ame]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Theft insurance...

Disc locks may detour some but in all reality people can pick these bikes up and stick them in trucks... Yeah it has an alarm but how many times have you walked past a car at the mall with the alarm blaring and not done a single thing.. Just my two cents..

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hey, War Damn Eagle!

Back to the topic, only steps worth a damn are a disc lock on your rear wheel (don't forget a tether to remind yourself its on) and comprehensive insurance that covers theft. If a thief wants your bike, they're going to get it (where insurance comes in handy) while the disc lock keeps and honest man honest.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, War Damn Eagle!

Back to the topic, only steps worth a damn are a disc lock on your rear wheel (don't forget a tether to remind yourself its on) and comprehensive insurance that covers theft. If a thief wants your bike, they're going to get it (where insurance comes in handy) while the disc lock keeps and honest man honest.
Ill save the $100 and put it towards better theft insurance then.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Progressive wants an extra $260/yr for a $1000 theft deductible. which brings my monthly amount to $45/mo

what are you guys paying a month?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well for me, $0. I only have a track bike now that is in a locked garage with no windows so i see this risk low enough to not purchase anything more than the minimum for my mountain trips. Honestly, $45 for liability/comp does not seem too bad. Progressive wanted $100+ a month from me and I'm married, >25, homeowner, and clean driving history.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Progressive wants an extra $260/yr for a $1000 theft deductible. which brings my monthly amount to $45/mo

what are you guys paying a month?
That's pretty good.

Right now I only have Comprehensive and Liability for $30 with Progressive. I figure if I crash and its my fault, I can pay the repairs out of pocket. If I added Collision with $1000 deductible, that $1000 is actually enough to cover most external damages anyway.

Forget that disc lock for now. A thick security chain e.g. from Kryptonite plus a plain bike cover will work better than that. Chain your bike from the swingarm hole to a secure metal post if you don't have a garage, and put the cover on.

Here are some chains.
Motorcycle Security Chain at Motorcycle Superstore - Motorcycle Superstore

·
Registered
140 Posts
If they want you bike! Nothing you can do will stop that. It will be gone. Keep it out of sight, locked up, in a garage, etc..... No Anti-theft device will ever be ahead of the crooks.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's pretty good.

Right now I only have Comprehensive and Liability for $30 with Progressive. I figure if I crash and its my fault, I can pay the repairs out of pocket. If I added Collision with $1000 deductible, that $1000 is actually enough to cover most external damages anyway.

Forget that disc lock for now. A thick security chain e.g. from Kryptonite plus a plain bike cover will work better than that. Chain your bike from the swingarm hole to a secure metal post if you don't have a garage, and put the cover on.

Here are some chains.
Motorcycle Security Chain at Motorcycle Superstore - Motorcycle Superstore
I have a garage. Im mostly concerned with away from home theft.

·
Registered
458 Posts
keep that insurance card in your wallet and the disc lock under your passenger seat. Best you can do away from home while carrying items with you. If you have the means to carry or store items at the place you take about away from home then yes, insurance, a bike cover and thick purpose chain are preferred, in that order.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I have a garage. Im mostly concerned with away from home theft.
A Garage is the best theft deterrent. But nothing is guaranteed. They can break into your house and steal anything (car, jewelry, electronics) just as much as they can steal your bike.

Do you have a home alarm? You can also buy a video surveillance system.

And as stated, full coverage insurance.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
The best lock is the U-Lock that fits in the rear cowl.

But as people state in the post, it won't replace a good insurance or alarm system... it is just for making the theft "a little" harder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts