Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
We just sold my wife's 750 Monster to get the RR, (she was riding more track than street). It was a great little bike, and the two valve motors are easy to work on. The Desmo valves are fantastic. When I bought it, people were telling me about all the problems I was going to have and how hard they were to work on, but I never found it to be true.

I do know some who have had bad experiences with other Ducs, but my experience was positive. I love them and plan to have another one day.

·
Registered
112 Posts
A good friend of mine has a red 1098S with some sort of exhaust system...its...sex on wheels.

He's told me though that service at the shop is wicked expensive, parts take awhile and gas mileage makes him cry (haha) ...but he's never loved anything like he loves that bike.

I just can't imagine the $$ he spent to have it...whew...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Apples and Oranges...

..You really can't compare the exotic Ducati's with the 2v Monsters. I have never had problems finding parts, and it was very simple to work on. I may hve just been lucky, but owning the 750M was stress free, and I never ran acros anything I couldn't fix myself. They are fairly simple machines.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
i was actually on a list for one of those 696s but went for my RR instead because even though the msrp for the RR was higher, I would have ended up paying about the same for both after all the paperwork was done. so I got the RR since in my opinion its an all around better performing (and looking) bike.

BUT

If I had the extra money I would drop for one of those white 848s in a heartbeat.
I wouldnt wanna track it though.

I would use the Duc as my "look! I have a ducati and you dont" bike for riding around town and commuting and such, and the RR as a track bike since it might be a lil more forgiving if I beat the living hell out of it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've had some experience with Ducs, though I've never owned one ( yet :) ). I've ridden the 696, S4RS Tricolore, and 848, and they're all pretty great. They come with nice parts out of the box, and are just plain beautiful machines. The only thing I didn't like about the 696 was the slipper clutch. I really liked the 848, and was pretty close to buying one, but if I were to buy one now I might go with the S4RS after tracking out my CBR. It would be nice to have a nice sporty bike in a somewhat less aggressive package for longer trips :toothy4: Their superbikes are nice and skinny though, which is also sexy :) They also sound great :)

The downside to them really is the higher upkeep costs, especially on the 4 valve engines ( and stay away from the desmoquattros, have to work at a duc dealer to own a bike with that engine :icon_lol: ) Typically you're looking at valve checks at intervals less than half of the CBRs and other Japanese bikes, and belt replacements every other check, and for the 4 valves those checks can cost in the $300-$400+ range. The parts you may want to put on it will probably be a bit more expensive too

I have a bunch of pics from the last demo event I was at, I should post those :icon_lol:

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I was talking with a Ducati dealer about s2r 1000 , valve adjustment and belt replacement as first big service was $700-800. don't remember at what milage it had to get done. but it was way before jap. bikes, less than 10000 miles

·
Registered
753 Posts
I was talking with a Ducati dealer about s2r 1000 , valve adjustment and belt replacement as first big service was $700-800. don't remember at what milage it had to get done. but it was way before jap. bikes, less than 10000 miles
It can easily be done in your garage in a couple of hours and minimal expense. Most people that complain about high maintenance prices don't do any of their own wrenching. It's really not that hard on the 2v motors.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Tac, your point is taken, really.

But still comparing a Jap bike to a Duc., the Duc. is alot more expensive for service and parts. And good or bad, alot of people dont want to do all the wrenching on their own bike. Heck, I do almost everything, but Im not touching the valves on my RR.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
tac is on the money about the dukes,

but i would not wanna be the one sericeing an older 748r or 749r
they are a prick of a thing to work on!

·
Registered
924 Posts
if you pay to have your bike worked on youre a fool anyways...
I personally enjoy wrenching on my rr, quad, cars, boat etc - that being said if I didn't enjoy it and money was no object, who cares if I paid someone else to do it for me? Some people don't have the time - some don't have the knowledge - some don't enjoy it - as long as they enjoy riding the bike what's the harm in now working on it? They won't be any less of a CBR fan or enthusiast. Just my .02

Sorry to threadjack, I just didn't understand xxu's comment.

If your mechanically savvy the Duc will not be intimidating, I didn't find them anymore complicated than my RR or any other bike I have owned. Overall I would say replacement parts are more costly but you can control the labor if you do the work yourself.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I cant wait to get a hypermotard. Thing is sick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts