Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The batteries of my preowned 03 Honda died last week after the weather dropped 20 degress. I ride everyday and most of the time it is a very short trip to school. My friend said that the high-lights will suck a lot of batt life so I keep them low. But I was wondering if I can have an on-off switch for it like cars? Maybe my batt will last longer. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Your friend has been misinformed. Your problem is not running the high beams. It's most likely your R/R and/or your battery. Replace the R/R with an '04 that has a heat shield and have the battery tested. If it's good just charge it. That should solve your problems.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am an MSF Coach and just wanted to confirm that it is illegal. One thing that I have seen is that alot of riders have problems with thier batteries during the course because we don't do alot of constant riding in the course. The alternater on a bike doesn't charge that well unless the bike is moving, particularly at a descent speed. So if you only use your bike for going to school and you don't get it up in the RPM's then that could be your problem.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Regardless of how much you ride or how high/low you run the rpm's on the bike you should charge your battery over night with a 1amp trickle charger very 3-4 months to "condition" the battery and keep it in top shape. Just make sure the charger you use specifically says that it won't overcharge the battery. If your charger doesn't specify, charge it for about 8 hours. Voltage at the battery should be about 13.0v with a good battery.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Your problem is not your headlights. Its porbably either your stator or your regulator/rectifier or maybe just the battery. Here is a thread that will till you how to diagnose what the problem is. http://forums.cbrworld.net/forums/140473/ShowPost.aspx
you will need a mulitmeter. If you dont have one, go to sears and buy one and return it within 90 days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts