Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda new here, dont post much but read a lot.

Anyone wishes they can just give up riding? knowing all the dangers and risks that are out there? dont wanna end up in the morning news holding up all the traffic...?

I myself have tried three times, and everytime i sold my bikes i told myself i wouldnt ride again and always after a year or so im buying a bike:cruising:.

i mean theres really not a lot of connivance about riding a bike anymore, cars get good mpgs now, you cant carry stuff with you, cant use the drive thru, cant pick up my kids from school, etc.

i have two kids 5 and 2, cutest kids in the world, would do anything to see them smile, and yet. i put myself in greater danger by riding a bike with who knows who behind the wheel of all the traffic around, risking getting killed and not seeing them again, and provide for for them,.

But man its all about the feeling of freedom, wind, speed, adrenaline and what not.... i cant give it up.

thoughts?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nope ...riding on the street isn't as fun as it used to be after going to a couple of track days tho

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
Having 2 kids myself (4 and 1.5) i know where your coming from, but i love riding so i will continue to do what i love. I had bikes before i had kids, my wife didnt "demand" i sell, prob wouldnt be w her if she was that kind lol. That being said if my girls wanted me to sell the bike because it made them scared i would sell in a heart beat. For now im enjoying life and riding, just have to be very cautious out there and dont be stupid lol. Ride safe

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Nope not me.... it's too much a part of my life to give it up. Hell I don't even know what I'd do if I gave up riding.... spending a lot of time with the dogs, I guess, LOL. I have no wife or kids other than my 3 furry ones, but if I did have kids it may influence me some as to how much I ride, but still don't think I could give it up completely. I just do my best to be as safe as possible, which I know isn't always enough, but it certainly helps, lol

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
It depends on your life style. What you said isn't completely true for all of us, so speak for yourself OP. I don't have kids, I live by myself and don't need to be driving children to school and other bs like that. I don't ever need to be carriying ladders around and **** like that. I have an enduro for the winter and rainy days and can carry enough grocery's in a back pack to last a week for myself. On top of that, I live in an apartment with a separate garage filled with many tools and different equipment which is mostly motorcycle specific and happens to be related to my work as well. I have, in a sense, built my life to adapt with motorcycles as a primary choice of entertainment and transportation. When I get on a bike, I'm watching out for other peoples mistakes and hazards. Riding is second nature as commuting goes and I will admit, it has taken years to be something that I really don't have to focus on as much anymore, so attention can be focused on the "unexpected" dangers of street riding. It's all how you make the experience. I believe it's a sport/hobby that you either really get into and have fun with it, or you don't get into at all, because you won't enjoy a damn second of it otherwise.

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
^^

Same here, my parents are the only ones that worry about me ridding.

I'm single, young, stupid. I luv ridding!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I love riding. It means I can take the hoc lane all the way to work and skip 1hour of traffic everyday. My wife gets to take the jeep. Now my wife is pregnant but not due till sometime next year. I'll still be riding. Unless my ill one in the future says, " daddy I scared for you on bike, cuz of other stupid people" that's when I would maybe. Maybe. Consider riding less. .......

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Banned
179 Posts
It's funny how people always stress the danger of riding a motorcycle but fail to mention that riding a bicycle or simply walking down a street without a sidewalk is probably just as dangerous than riding a motorcycle. In my area we've had more fatalities from cars picking off bicycles and pedestrians on the side of the road then we've had motorcycle fatalities. I feel safer on my motorcycle then I did on my cruiser bicycle cruising next to traffic, at least on a motorcycle traveling with traffic I have a chance to react as where riding a bicycle on the side of the road you are completely at the mercy of traffic . I always felt uneasy riding my bicycle on the side of road with cars passing hoping not to get picked off by a careless arsehole swerving while texting on their phone or something.

Life is a risk period, just walking in your own house could kill so are you going to stop walking in fear that you may fall and split your wig? When it's your time to go there is nothing you can do to prevent it whether it be tomorrow or a hundred years from now.

Take my late brother for example, he was the most crazy mofo on his 900 fireblade back in day, we are talking 100 mph wheelies with no helmet on and his girl on the back. He has had car accidents and fell on his bike but He never even so much as got a scratch riding his bike but he ended up dropping dead with an anyurism at the age of 30 sitting in a chair.

Don't fear death and think riding a bike is going to get you closer to death, when it's your time to go there is nothing you can do about it and it really won't have anything to do with what you are doing at the time but that it's just your time to go whether it be at the hands of a murderer, a hurricane, lightening, health issue, accident, insect bite, food poisoning etc.

Ride your bike, be safe and leave the rest into God's hands.

Get out there and do what you love to do, RIDE ON BROTHER!!!!

PS. What do you think about cops who ride motorcycles daily for their jobs fighting crime? If it was so super dangerous would they really put cops on motorcycles fro their daily jobs? You don't hear a lot of cops getting taken out on their bikes BECAUSE THEY PRACTICE RIDING SAFE AND WEAR PROPER SAFETY GEAR. Believe it or not it's the ruthless squids that are mostly giving motorcycling a bad name, buttwad squids that race and do wheelies on public streets and dangerously weave in and out of traffic, it's these careless squids that end up a statistic that make motorcycling seem much more dangerous than it really is.

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I was contemplating selling my bike to fund a new snowmobile and truck (I snowboard backcountry a lot and a snowmobile is easy access to endless powder and wicked terrain) but after seeing what bikes go for in my area it wouldn't do much selling it. So right now I'll be working lots to get a new sled and the bike will probably start seeing a few track days next year.

But if I were to choose between owning only one toy it would be the snowmobile, I can't live without snowboarding and that toy just opens up a whole new world.

Sent while sitting on the crapper.

·
Banned
179 Posts
I was contemplating selling my bike to fund a new snowmobile and truck (I snowboard backcountry a lot and a snowmobile is easy access to endless powder and wicked terrain) but after seeing what bikes go for in my area it wouldn't do much selling it. So right now I'll be working lots to get a new sled and the bike will probably start seeing a few track days next year.

But if I were to choose between owning only one toy it would be the snowmobile, I can't live without snowboarding and that toy just opens up a whole new world.

IMO snowboarding is more dangerous than riding a motorcycle. I almost broke my neck the first time I snowboarded. I prefer skiing much better.

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
IMO bears like beers!!!!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
IMO snowboarding is more dangerous than riding a motorcycle. I almost broke my neck the first time I snowboarded. I prefer skiing much better.
It depends how you look at it, Iv injured myself more on a board then riding a bike, then again I'm hucking myself off 50ft cliffs, riding thru trees, hitting +50ft jumps in the backcountry. But like with everything I didn't just step up to those things but worked my way up, just like I wouldn't buy a 1k and do a track day right away.

It just took a little coordination and air awareness to understand snowboarding for me and now it's just second nature.

·
Banned
179 Posts
It depends how you look at it, Iv injured myself more on a board then riding a bike, then again I'm hucking myself off 50ft cliffs, riding thru trees, hitting +50ft jumps in the backcountry. But like with everything I didn't just step up to those things but worked my way up, just like I wouldn't buy a 1k and do a track day right away.

It just took a little coordination and air awareness to understand snowboarding for me and now it's just second nature.

Sounds awesome. You're right though, you have to work you way up the skill level just like a motorcycle but after several snowboarding tries I never felt comfortable on it and gave it up, you would think it would have been natural to me b/c I used to be an avid skateboarder on half pipes back in the day.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I haven't ridden in three weeks. I hurt my back so bad that I couldn't turn on the bike. Scared myself and parked it.

Tonight I got a shot in my spine. It may be weird but the main thing I'm looking forward to is riding. I love that f*cking bike.

With all that said I'd give up he bike.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts