Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya, I'm thinking of buying a 1970+ 240, 260, or 280z. Any recommendations or advice to lookout for? I've always wanted one of these and with gas prices now, I need a smaller car to push.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
advice is drop a blown or crate motor in it upgrade the brakes / suspension and you'll have a very fun scca / sleeper car.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I ran (2) 1972 240z's in scca autocross. if you're going to leave the fuelling stock (dual SU's are best) dont bother with a 73+. Different carbs. if you're going to get triple webers (THE setup) then doesnt matter.

When looking for one check for rust. they were made with really thin sheet metal and the area under the rear deck lid is prone to rusting through, as well as some areas at the wheel wells.

Rock solid cars.

I ran a header and full exhaust (back when a 3" exhaust meant something and it was 3" from the header back!), fully 5-pt adjustable tokico struts, 16" bbs wheels (also back when 16's were considered big).

that was one hell of a fun and fast car. :supz:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've owned a '70, '73, '75, '76, and '78 Z. On any of these cars rust is the major problem rear decklid (as mentioned), rear quarters (all the way around wheel opening), lower front fender, bottom edge of the doors, back edge of the rocker panel, and last but not least the floor pans as well as the frame rails and battery shelf in the engine compartment.

The 70's have an E31 high compression head and the lightest model. The 76, 77 an 78's are fuel injected. The 77 and 78's are 5 speeds. In general, stay away from the 260's, they just didn't work well as a package. Make sure the compression is at least 170 psi on all cylinders (stock engine) these heads were prone to warp after a blown head gasket.

I could go on and on. The 73 I had was maxed out on mods. 280 block 240 head, nissan comp valves and pistons, 3/4 race cam, triple mikunis, electromotive ignition, 280zx turbo getrag 5 -speed, coil-over suspension, 4-whell discs with cockpit proportioning valve, recaros and again I could go on and on

1 - 4 of 4 Posts