Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys think is the better dirt bike? and why. yamaha, kawi, honda, or suzuki. this past weekend i went on a dirt track and loved it. thinking about getting my own. i was riding on a yamaha yz250 4 stroke i know around 2010 most of them switched to fuel injectors so i know to look for one 2010 and up what else do i look for to separate them? id be using it for mostly tracks some jumps and dirt trails.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
How old are you?

Gotta be in good shape and have bouncy,rubbery bones ......

once your about 35+ coming off the bike(even in dirt!) starts to break your bones.....

prefer Honda's personally, would love to own a 250cc.

have been warned by old broken riders "don't get a 450" as they wil;l land you in the hospital quickly......and the medevac in Cali takes hrs......!

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How old are you?

Gotta be in good shape and have bouncy,rubbery bones ......

once your about 35+ coming off the bike(even in dirt!) starts to break your bones.....

prefer Honda's personally, would love to own a 250cc.

have been warned by old broken riders "don't get a 450" as they wil;l land you in the hospital quickly......and the medevac in Cali takes hrs......!
lol im 25 at the moment, the 250f that i rode seen plenty enough almost threw me off a couple of times plus i didnt have proper gear just a helmet and goggles and every time the bike left the ground my sneakers left the pegs lol completely different ridding than a rocket, the only similarity is looking thru the turns and shifting, but than again instead of trying in on a trail they took me to a motocross track where u cant sit back and enjoy the ride lol loved it tho.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do some dirt riding. My boyfriend prefers it over the street and I am the opposite, but dirt experience has saved me countless times on the street.

I Started out on an ancient Honda 100, then recently got on a Suzuki 125 2-stroke. I switched bikes with my boyfriend so he could tune the carb during a trail ride. He has a Yamaha 250 4 stroke. I was surprised at how much heavier it was, but I preferred the down low torque over the 2 stroke power that only kicks in when you have it wide open. All of my friends ride different makes/models. I wouldn't really say that anyone has any other preference besides matching the brand of their street bike. I think it's really all about your preference of 2 or 4 stroke.

Also, btosports.com has amazing deals on dirt gear. I got brand new O'Neal pants from them for $20.

Just my 0.02

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do some dirt riding. My boyfriend prefers it over the street and I am the opposite, but dirt experience has saved me countless times on the street.

I Started out on an ancient Honda 100, then recently got on a Suzuki 125 2-stroke. I switched bikes with my boyfriend so he could tune the carb during a trail ride. He has a Yamaha 250 4 stroke. I was surprised at how much heavier it was, but I preferred the down low torque over the 2 stroke power that only kicks in when you have it wide open. All of my friends ride different makes/models. I wouldn't really say that anyone has any other preference besides matching the brand of their street bike. I think it's really all about your preference of 2 or 4 stroke.

Also, btosports.com has amazing deals on dirt gear. I got brand new O'Neal pants from them for $20.

Just my 0.02
will check it out. yea leaning the bike is completely different brake application in the dirt track you hardly use the front brake where on our its basically all the front brake i did like the fact that every turn you bike is sliding and you have to use the throttle and just keep going. i guess theres a reason why a lot of these moto gp guys ride dirt bikes for fun theres a lot to learn.

i was just wondering about different manufactures of these bikes like on rockets honda is known for its amazing handling and reliability didnt know if that transferred to dirt bikes.. my buddy said that yamaha is kind of like a honda in the dirt bike scene so idk i was hoping to find out here.

i was also amazed how much power the 250 had

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ride a 2014 suzuki Rmz450. I regret getting a 450 and wish i had a 250. As far as the different brands Suzuki's probably have the quickest turn in but are pretty sketchy at high speeds. Honda 250 are sweet but some of the unicam motors have valve issues. All the current bikes are amazing it really goes off of brand preference. One thing for sure is you are most likely going to pay more for a Honda than any other bike.

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,281 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Get a 250 for sure. I think a 450 is overkill and its a little bit heavy when it comes down to maneuvering. I have an 04 crf250r that I got a few years ago from a friend dirt cheap. Check craigslist. You can find them on there all the time for reasonable prices.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a kawi 2011 250f for 3k with just redone valves and pistons what do u think fair price?

·
Registered
110 Posts
2010 RMZ250 here, yoshi pipe (full) and has suspension work done by FCR, its like riding on a cloud. i wish i could put them forks on my street :p but yeah the 2010 RMZ was the first generation of FI and god i love this bike... id trade it and a little cash (1000) for a 2015 DRZ though. just because i broke my wrist and riding is just too demanding on it now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts