Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cam chain has been getting louder and louder over the last couple hundred miles. At first it would only make the sound when it was cold and at idle but soon as I would rev it to about 4k it would go away. Now it makes it all the time and is louder as the rpms drop.

I know Honda is notorious for this but has anyone else had a problem w/ it on their RR?

·
Registered
136 Posts
take it to Honda, could be a crack in it. The one in my Buell shattered to a million pieces but luckily didn't get sucked into the trans lines.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the tensioner out so I know its not cracked and it is defenitely not a normal sound.
I'm just wondering if this is a wide spread problem or just isolated to me.

·
Registered
688 Posts
%$#!!! i thought honda fixed this problem with a totally new redesigned cct. My f4i's cct went out on avg about every 1000mi. Im just turning 4k on my RR and i hear a noise in the 5.5-6.0 range although it sounds like the cct is just "working"...no rattle

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't know if you have seen the picture in the service manual or not but it doesn't look like a good design. Its only been about 20 years that Honda has had a problem w/ cct's you would think they could find a design that works. :roll:

·
Registered
65 Posts
ok, if you have a problem speak up. If not don't because that would be almost all of our over 3,000 members who don't have the problem.
I got a used 2006 CBR600RR this year. It was not making this sound before, but I have been riding it hard. It has almost 14k miles on it now, and it has started making the Cam Chain noise (took it to the honda dealer to have one of there guys tell me the same thing).

From what I have read online, I should be able to tighten the CCT with a flat head screwdriver, so I'm going to give that a try today, see if I can even get to it without taking the tank off. Live with it for the next 2k miles and have them fix it on my 16k service.

I found this post from looking for others with the same problem, so I guess I'm not one of your 3,000 members who is uninfected by there CCT.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
I got a used 2006 CBR600RR this year. It was not making this sound before, but I have been riding it hard. It has almost 14k miles on it now, and it has started making the Cam Chain noise (took it to the honda dealer to have one of there guys tell me the same thing).

From what I have read online, I should be able to tighten the CCT with a flat head screwdriver, so I'm going to give that a try today, see if I can even get to it without taking the tank off. Live with it for the next 2k miles and have them fix it on my 16k service.

I found this post from looking for others with the same problem, so I guess I'm not one of your 3,000 members who is uninfected by there CCT.
HOLY crap, i think you win the prize for necro posting the oldest post, this thread was dead for 7 years! gratz on using the search tho ;)

and no, if you have a stock cct, you will not be adjusting it, only replacing it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Yeah I have a problem wiht my CCT only on startup before oil pressure gets high enough. I have an APE manual tensioner ready to be put in when I take my engine out for a rebuild possibly this summer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 06 was called in at 6k miles for a factory fix on the tensioner, and it has still gone out at 14k hear.

I ordered a manual one, but won't be hear tell Friday (thanks to UPS taking 5 days on there 3 day shipping). Ill post how I like the APE Manual tensioner.

As a note, NEVER ship threw UPS if you don't have to...

·
Registered
65 Posts
So the new tensioner works like a charm, and was very easy to install. I also installed a PC5 at the same time, and flushed my antifreeze for water wetter.

The tensioner was not hard to set, or install, and has the bike running smooth as silk. The bike no longer sounds like its throwing bbs around inside, and I'm not scarred to ride the bike hard again. The idle is smoother, and I would say the pickup is to but hard to say its bc of the tensioner seeing as I installed the PC5 at the same time, lol.

Now to move on the the pipe...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts