Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's two days and counting now before I get to run the RR down a brand new 1/8 mile drag strip that is fortunatly very close. I'm just looking for any pointers from anyone on the board with experience.

Any recommended tire pressures, launch tips, anything that will help. I can't wait and probably won't be able to sleep much friday night. :bounce:

What can I expect to see time/speed wise out of an 1/8 mile. anyone want to come, it's in Tioga Center, NY and only costs $20 for the day.

http://www.skyviewdrags.com/index.html

and if anyone cares, the starboyz will be there.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Launch RPMs vary with conditions, but I generally try to hold it around 7k rpms and feather the clutch on my launch. As soon as I'm sure the front end is staying down, I punch it. I was also told by a fellow RR rider to keep the throttle wide open and just blip your clutch when you shift. It lets you carry more rpm's into your next gear. I've tried it a couple times and it seems to work pretty well, but you would definitely want to practice it first.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Dracus. I'm going to practice launches a bit tomorrow after wurk, there's a good spot with no traffic right down the road from me. Keep 'em comin folks. I'd like to give the RR a good rep on skill alone because weight is going to kill me cough, cough, 255#, cough

This place is going to be a mud pit. I think this pic was in mid to late may

It also looks like anything with some speed (LIKE A 600RR) is going to have to drop anchor in a hurry. I hope this weekend is safe. I really do. The group promoting it www.upstateriderz.com is about as squidly as they come.

Wizzard, They'z Gotz the Z, So theyz Kooool! and the one member that I know also furs his bike. fer stuntin.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Good luck, and dracus is right about "bliping the clutch", it'll bring the front just a couple inches off the ground into second if you hit it right, keeping the power linear.

·
Registered
161 Posts
a fellow dragster!
some think dragin may be boring.. not me.
Firebird raceway is the local Boise track where I go. I took the bike out there last year when I first got it to just see what it would do
Now I'm addicted. Gold cup points, street legal nights, it's all new to me but two tons of fun.
Advice: go on the last yellow. you'll be so nervous about not red lighting, dont worry about it, just go on yellow and by the time the tire breaks the infrared sensor, the green light will be on.
don't be afraid to launch that baby. think " i'm getting a new clutch anyway"
why 1/8 not 1/4?

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Don't sleep at the line, keep those tires warm.

Good Luck!
Jason

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah 7K rpm's seems to work, And watch that clutch on the launch. If they run a pro-street tree all the yellows come on at once, Big sign to go. Leave on the yellow all will run good. I'm at 7.4 e.t @ 100.44mph. :roll: Thats stock everything on the engine, its even a cali with the smog crap.
I blip the throttle when I shift, seeems to work better for me. :bounce:

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking forward to it, and I have this hunch that it is going to be very addicting. The track is so new, they don't even have any other races officially set up yet so maybe we can push for a bike night there once a week or so.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keep your weight as far back over the rear wheel as possible.

I haven't done a 1/4 or 1/8 mile on the RR yet, but powershifting also works pretty well (meaning that you get to high RPM, preload the gear lever, back the throttle off just a tad between shifts, don't use the clutch)..

Good luck!

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh f'ing great! Now it looks like it is supposed to rain all day tomorrow. How typical is that. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will pass through tonight.

63 degrees and considerable cloudiness, with this place being on top of a hill it will probably be in the clouds. Damn my luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts