Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so i have the fuel pump removed from the bike and it seems the strainer is attached to the bottom of the fuel pump assembly. Is there a way to seperate the assembly to get access to the fuel pump? Ive removed the two wire connections that appear to inhibit the seperation of the bottom peice
from the actual pump assembly but it doesnt esnt to seperate. I dont want to force it too much and cause a problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Hey guys so i have the fuel pump removed from the bike and it seems the strainer is attached to the bottom of the fuel pump assembly. Is there a way to seperate the assembly to get access to the fuel pump? Ive removed the two wire connections that appear to inhibit the seperation of the bottom peice
from the actual pump assembly but it doesnt esnt to seperate. I dont want to force it too much and cause a problem.

It is all one unit, you cannot separate them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually you can as I did today. You take out the two screws for the wire terminals and have to pull the base from the pump. it does require some effort. After separating them you can pull off the strainer and clean it. In my case the strainer was quite clean. I think I may have wired it up in reverse however as it isn't pumping gas during the priming stage (the pump is attempting to prime as normal but no gas came out of the hose when I had it disconnected). I can't see how you'd clean the strainer without separating the base from the pump.

I'll report back tomorrow

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Actually you can as I did today.
Good to know! I always assumed it was one solid unit (being that you usually order the complete thing). So never really knew.

My 600 has 57,000km on it and I've never checked. :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey yah so for anyone interested you can indeed seperate the base from the pump.. remove the two screws for the terminal connectors (wires) and with a good amount of pulling force you can seperate them. Incidentally I did not miswire it. the the o-ring on the base pipe peice was left in the pump when I sepearted them and consequently the connection with non existant when I initially reinstalled. After pulling it back apart I saw the o-ring and reinstalled it on the pipe and it all worked perfectly from there.

Reactions: tary preisser

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Remove the two screws for the terminal connectors (wires) and with a good amount of pulling force you can seperate them.
Is the strainer base glued on or something? Or it is just a tight fit?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is an o-ring on the fitting/tube that goes to the banjo bolt on the bottom side (external side) of the pump. It makes a tight seal inside the fuel pump that you have to overcome. It will release suddenly so be ready.. I nearly launched the pump when it finallu released. From there you can fully remove the strainer and mesh and fully clean it. Thankfully my tank and strainer were in great shape and required little work to clean.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ensure you remove the other two wire connections on the base of the pump. Youd also be best to try and remove the mesh surrounding the strainer if possible to avoid it getting caught when the peices seperate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts