Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a trade in at my work ( I work at a honda car dealership). its a 96 grand cherokee laredo with 144K V8 4wd CD, A/c blows cold. It drives good but makes a little noise from the rear end. My hesitation is that I usually only drive japanese cars and I have heard jeeps (especially the grand cherokee) are very unreliable. This would be a 3rd vehicle (i have a 05 legacy GT and my 05 RR). I figure it would be nice to have an suv if i ever need to haul something or buy something big. My insurance will also be cheaper with 2 cars versus only the legacy. Heres the thing, I can get it for $1100 bucks. What do you guys think?

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
biggest thing i've heard with them is the suspension is very wishywashy when they're up in miles. if you can get a cheap warranty on it, go for it! that's a cheap bike hauler...

·
Over the berm, and thru the woods, to grandmothers
1,220 Posts
144K is pushing it on a jeep. If everything runs and works weel 1100 is pretty cheap for a 2nd car as long as the rear end doesn't blow up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The key thing with those jeeps are you have to change the differential oil once a year. I sold My Cherokee over 2 years ago. It had 175,000 miles on it. The person I sold it to is still driving it with over 200,000 miles on it. Also change the oil every 2000- 2500 miles.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
im guessing the legacy comes with all wheel drive.. so you wont have that much trouble in the winter time.. but then again, you might want to preserve the legacy from harsh winter driving.. so yeah.. can't go wrong with buying it just to beat around with it. but then again thats a lot of miles.. and from what i hear, if its an american truck thats not running on diesel.. it wont last long..

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The good thing about jeeps is that their cheap and easy to work on....the bad thing about them is that they break all the damn time! :icon_lol: The one your looking at has alot of miles...if you do buy it, be prepared to spend some bucks into it to keep it going. Ive had two different cherokees over the past half a dozen years...one engine crapped out after 150K, the other, the tranny at 139K....they both were rattle traps and made more interior noise than a semitruck going down the freeway. If you dont mind working on them, or want it for a project/serious offroad vehicle, then their a bargain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts