Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one got a suggestions on helmet speakers or ear buds that will stay in the ears and have good sound quality? the crappy ones the ipod came with never stay in my ears...

·
Registered
388 Posts
like shure earbuds I do when I'm riding to the gym (2 miles away) but obv. you're reducing your probabilities of not seeing a cager. Just more risk involved. On a long trip early in the morning where there is no traffic I don't see why it's a prob though. You need something that jams in your ear pretty good. Put velcro or something on your tank and just mount it there.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have the Shuffle and have put the earbuds that come with it in the cheek padding by my ears sometimes, but was too quiet for me, so I got the Sony ones that wrap around your ear and put my helmet on over them. Good sound just takes getting used to. I saw some at Radio Shack the other day that look the same as the Sony ones, but the speaker would point at your ear instead of towards the back of it like the Sony does that I thought about getting and putting in my cheek pads.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have a pair of Xtreme Mac FS-1 phones...

They have a ear plug style entry so it knocks out a
certain level of ambient noise down so your volume
level isnt fighting wind noise etc.
Comes with like 5 different styles of ear pieces and one
option is custom which really knocks out outside noise.

So when the volume isnt on its like plain old ear plugs.
The fit tight and close to you ear so taking on and off
the helmet is the best of phones that I have tried.
They sound better than stock and stay put much better.
But bass varies on seal in ear. Its not perfect.

Retail for $120 but might be able to find a deal on EBay.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i was thinking about doing this too at some point, but something about a cone shaped item jamed in my ear if i had a wreck just didnt set right with me. i am looking for more of a flat speaker. Hard to explain, but think I will know when I see it.

Still tossed up on the chatterbox....

·
Registered
442 Posts
Wizard,
I understand the fear, but realistically in a crash
that damages your helmet so much that it would
be forcing your ear buds deeper into your skull
I would guess that the ear buds would be the least of
your worries.
You know motorola makes a hat or head band for
skiers that are headphones... but its a wee bit
too bulky for under moto helmet wearing.

Chatter box idea is cool but need to get one of those
first. Not worth it for only music though I think.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
get the sonys with the silicon sleave, they rock..low volume so you hear everything but at a lower decible level. noise cancelling i think they are called.. i love em..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I listen to an iriver. I bought some some small speakers from radio shack and soldered a female headphone adapter to them. Then I installed them into my helmet. I use a connecter with a volume control and mute button to connect the iriver to my helmet. Works pretty well, been using it for about 3 months now.

·
Registered
520 Posts
thats my next purchase, but as far as ear buds i use the ones that wrap around to the back of your ears, they dont move and i ride 25 miles one way 5 days a week. ok for comfort and can be pretty load depending on if you want to hear traffic or not.

Wizard said:
I hook my IPOD shuffle into my Chatterbox GRMS-X1 unit. No need to mess with earbuds.

·
Registered
156 Posts
definitely go with the chatterbox. Plus if your boys get one you can talk while riding...and the chatter box is loud and you can't even feel speakers.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
I thought about it but have yet to do it... Kinda like the sound of my bike, music to my ears in a way. =]

Jason

·
Registered
323 Posts
i use a jlo ipod sport armwrap holder and strap it to my right wrist and a nice pair of phillips earbuds with a wrap around the back the ear. i love it i can see what im doin at redlights so i dont have to fumble around for it it right there.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
akboy777 said:
Wizard,
I understand the fear, but realistically in a crash
that damages your helmet so much that it would
be forcing your ear buds deeper into your skull
I would guess that the ear buds would be the least of
your worries.
You know motorola makes a hat or head band for
skiers that are headphones... but its a wee bit
too bulky for under moto helmet wearing.

Chatter box idea is cool but need to get one of those
first. Not worth it for only music though I think.
Uh.... I never said anything about fear. That was the guy below me.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I use some cheap Sony's that wrap around your ear. I have a Sony W800i walkman phone. Thats what I use as my music provider. Sounds is ok. I can still hear traffic around me and helps on my long commutes home. from work, esp when I work at best buy at night.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I use the shure e2c or somethign like that noise canceling ear buds they work well, but like somone else said it takes away from your surroundings. When your wearing those you got to pay more attention

1 - 19 of 19 Posts