Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is my problem im running into. im usually very nice about any wreck ive ever been in. well its been well over a week since i dropped my bike after a woman failed to yield in front of me. well she was charged. says so on police report. well, havent heard anything from her ins. since first time i spoke with them last week. i call today and left a message and get a message back. lady in charge of claim says that the claim is still under investigation and they havent got a hold of their client for her to tell them that she was charged. my question is if i have the police report stating she is charged then what the hell is the problem . i would think if i sent them a copy of the report then they wouldnt have to talk to her right. or am i gonna have to wait till court date for them to tell her she is charged. the lady is being quite nasty about me just asking questions. if they dont watch it i'll just get a lawyer involved. any advice on what to do.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Insurance companies have to wait for the official notification from the police before they can continue. Just because you got the notice doesn't mean it's made it to the claims person in charge of the case at her insurance company.

Also, you don't need to get a lawyer involved, just your own insurance company. They will handle the claim for you, and it won't matter at all for your rates since you aren't at fault and the woman is already being charged for failing to yield. In fact, now that you have the police report, you can get all your stuff fixed right now, and have your insurance company subrogate the entire cost from the other party, without you paying a cent.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I had that situation last year. I made a claim with her insurance company - they said it was 20% my fault so I called my insurance company and made the claim thru them. They agreed it was 100% her fault - totalled the bike, paid me more than fair value (minus my deductible) and then went after her insurance company. Unfortunately, they still haven't collected from the other ins. company, so my deductible hasn't been reimbursed yet. I have Foremost, she had Progressive (supposedly a motorcycle-friendly company, but they sure weren't in this case)

Call your ins. agent or company - they'll take care of you.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
shadowcat said:
Insurance companies have to wait for the official notification from the police before they can continue. Just because you got the notice doesn't mean it's made it to the claims person in charge of the case at her insurance company.

Also, you don't need to get a lawyer involved, just your own insurance company. They will handle the claim for you, and it won't matter at all for your rates since you aren't at fault and the woman is already being charged for failing to yield. In fact, now that you have the police report, you can get all your stuff fixed right now, and have your insurance company subrogate the entire cost from the other party, without you paying a cent.
That depends if he has full coverage or not. If he only has liability then his insurance company won't really do anything for him.

If that's the case and you only have liability, I'd go ahead and run the situation by a lawyer or two just to be ready. It'll probably all be ok, just got to give them time, but insurance companies are notorious for making you wait as long as they can and screwing you as much as they can as well(they're only concerned with their clients, no you)

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you do not get any answers, contact the Insurance commissioner. They can work miracles, and they are on our side.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I hate to play devil's advocate, but just b/c the police cited/charged her, that doesn't necessarily mean the insurance co. will agree that she's at fault. Another thing to consider is that the cop was not there to see the accident transpire. I don't know if you were behind her or if she was part of oncoming traffic, but if you were behind her, they could say you contributed to the accident b/c you may have been following too close. It depends on whether you're in a contributory negligence state or not.

You might be better off filing with your own carrier and letting them subrogate for the damages if her insurance co. agrees.

BTW-Progressive is not motorcycle friendly. 25 yr old, married, clean driving record, 05 600rr in TX, full covg=$4,172/12mths---rip off
Geico wanted $8k a yr for the same thing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts