Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
This is being debated in a lot of forums. Here was my .02

There is more to this story then we know. As well is the fact that if merely getting spooked by a passing motorcycle is enough for you to lose control of your vehicle, then perhaps you should never have gotten behind the wheel in the first place.

I think it is such a fallecy that so many times slower drivers are considered to be the safer drivers, when the truth is that most tend to be less attentive and less focused on the road. I have seen many drift in their lane without so much as a gust of wind to cause it. Whether I'm in a cage or on two wheels, slow drivers are the ones I am most cautious around.

I will state that although I believe it is very unfortunate that people died in this incident I do not see where the motorcycle is to blame.

RIP

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Yeah the guy was speeding but I'm sure the van was too. How often do you ever see anyone doing the speedlimit in socal unless it's in gridlock. It seems like the driver of the van got spooked and lost control and over corrected.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Amen to that, If you cant handle supprises dont get on the road since it is full of them... Plus 100 bux says the biker didnt even notice that the van ate it after he passed. Real lame that they are conducting a sorta man hunt for this biker "assuming" he saw what happend... Real bull... Sure if you see it stop when able and let po po or fire department know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bet the driver got startled and over reacted. A few weeks ago I was riding with a friend of mine and we were going about 85 when we were passed by a bike going MUCH faster. Let me twll you, it scared the **** out of us because the pipe sounded like a cannon as it passed. Neither of us swerved or anything but I can understand how someone, especially in a minivan with kids arguing, etc. might be startled and swerve.

As far as the guy noticing the accident, no way. Another time I was riding with this same friend when his tag fell off. Though I looked over my shoulder for him only a minute after he head stopped to get his tag I was way the hell down the road and could not see him.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Just another attack on sportbike(r)s by a reporter who seems to subscribe to the "it's someone elses fault" answer whenever someone screws up.

L

·
0 Posts
it was a woman driving, what do you expect :?

anyone willing to bet she wasn't on a cell phone or doing her makeup on the way to work?

·
Registered
388 Posts
It's sad that had happened however I agree with jc2nd5988. Slower drivers tend to be the most unattentive people on the road. The blame is focused towards the motorcycleist because the people in the minivan were hurt and it is "assumed" they were driving safely.

For all we know the van may have been going 50mph and the bike was doing 70mph. If this were the case the blame would still not be shifted from the current.

The concensus among most people is that sport bikes are a threat to ALL drivers. This common conception is based on stupid riders doing stupid things. I'm sure you guys know what riders I'm refering to, the ones that get on a bike and become overwhelmed with the speed and power it produces. Combine this with the superman complex and it leads to dangerous situations for everyone.

If there's one thing that's been engrained into me since reading many of the posts at this site it's that that kind of speed should be saved for the track, not the street.

This is just my 2 cents but that's how I see it. Ride safe fellas.

U

·
0 Posts
Motorcycle are bricks, aerodynamically speaking. However, causing a car to fall in a draft? I don't think so.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Reminds me of the guy (tester for Benz) in Germany that is getting charged with the accident of the woman who was in the fast lane....in her Kia. He flew past her....she lost control swerved and died along with her daughter.....sucked that they died but if you are on the autobahn....Kia's should stay to the far right

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm willing to bet that the van driver saw the bike...got excited and tried to keep up with it...then the inevitable came when she lost control or spooked out while making a high speed turn.

In actuality, van drivers are nuts....we're talking about soccer moms that are already agitated and under time pressure...or just people who have a midlife crisis and an ego to prove.

All in all, how do u expect a motorcyclist to stop and turn around when u see an accident? riders are so busy paying attention to the stupid potholes and morons in front who are constantly cutting lanes...

·
Registered
207 Posts
ok first id like to say i agree with everyone, people always try to blame someone else.... but of course i have to play devils advocate for a minute.

a lot of you keep repeating if youre going to get spooked and make a fatal error, you shouldnt be driving? if someone brings a gun to the mall, points it at someone, and the other person runs away, and breaks their ankle in the process, or falls and dies or something random, the first person and the only person going to jail is the man with the gun. were in a society where justice isnt to keep things just, its to keep people safe, no matter how dumb it may be. yes logically, i agree with everyone how its not the motorcyclist's responsibility to make sure everyone is ok, but if the police can find any excuse as to why its someone elses fault, theyll do it and make sure someone is punished. anytime someone dies, no matter how much of a freak accident, people want retribution (in the form of someone getting into trouble) i'm sure more evidence will turn up, as the survivors tell more of what happened, but no matter what they say, the justice system is still going to try to nail the biker, and every question theyll ask is going to be pretty much about the guy on the bike (id bet a million bucks the first qustion they ask is if they got the plate of the bike..) so yea, those are my points for you to try to argue, itll give everyone a little fun..this isnt how i feel, just like i said i like to play devils advocate...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
it's a terrible trajedy for the occupants of the van and their families. i agree with jc2nd5988. however, i do hope that the authorities get to talk with the motorcyclist so that they will have a definative answer as to the rider's involvent, if any, in the accident.

however, i must say that it sickens me that driver licenses are so easily handed out and driver skills are not re-assest after the initial licensing. where i'm from getting your driver's license is a joke - you take the test, drive around the block, and they give you a license. the motorcycle endorsment is even easier to get - you just take a test and that's it. nevermind if the person has ever opperated a motorcycle just as long as they've read the book, HEY they know how to ride and we'll give them the license.

the girlfriend of a buddy of mine in college went to test for her license. during the driving test she paniced on the freeway and almost caused an accident. the instructor, that was with her in the car, still passed her saying that she was just nervous. i mean WTF?!? i guess almost causing an accident isn't enough of a reason to fail the driver, they acctually have to cause one?

sorry about my rant guys. i get a little worked up, if you couldn't tell, when i talk about this country's vechicle licensing system.

·
Registered
388 Posts
however, i must say that it sickens me that driver licenses are so easily handed out and driver skills are not re-assest after the initial licensing

I hadn't thought about this but he's got a point. My drivers liscence test was a joke. I can't comment on the motorcycle liscence being that I got mine through the MSF course and from what I remember the test was not easy. My instructor didn't F%$K around. If you didn't have a solid base for riding then you didn't pass.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Just another attack on sportbike(r)s by a reporter who seems to subscribe to the "it's someone elses fault" answer whenever someone screws up.
You got that right, and if the guy stopped he would be in jail for life.

If someone in a minivan kills a biker, they go home in time for dinner. Don't forget it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Except for the poor description "Ninja-style" motorcycle, I don't think the reporter really was attacking. He just stated what was reported by witnesses and CHP.

Whether or not the MC had anything to do with accident isn't really evident. So I think it is impossible to really pass judgement.

But, I do think it should make everyone think twice about over taking cars at high rates of speed. It really is shocking if they are caught off guard, and this kind of result is possible.

I once witnessed a friend bring down a stand up wheelie at about 85 mph. He had rode the wheelie about a mile, and the front tire had stopped spinning. The road was in the middle of no-where, but it just so happened that as he brought it down there was a Semi-truck in the oncoming lane. His bike did a bit of a tank slapper, which spooked the Semi driver. He actually locked up his trailer, probably thinking he was about to run over my friend. Luckily, nothing bad happened, but you could easily see how things could have turned out much worse.

ben

·
Registered
122 Posts
armourbl said:
I once witnessed a friend bring down a stand up wheelie at about 85 mph. He had rode the wheelie about a mile, and the front tire had stopped spinning. The road was in the middle of no-where, but it just so happened that as he brought it down there was a Semi-truck in the oncoming lane. His bike did a bit of a tank slapper, which spooked the Semi driver. He actually locked up his trailer, probably thinking he was about to run over my friend. Luckily, nothing bad happened, but you could easily see how things could have turned out much worse.

ben
Like I said in my post we do not have all the information to really gauge whether the motorcycle is at fault or not, yet the article puts a lot of the blame on the rider.

I will also say if more information came out where it said the rider was doing what your friend did, then my post would be completely different, most likely I would blame the rider. Stunting on a public street is dangerous enough, doing it at 85mph is a risk I'm not willing to take, but to each is own.

Honestly if your story ended with your friend hurt, I don't think I would sympathize. Either your friend is too stupid to realize what he was doing was dangerous, in which case he should not be on a sportbike or he realizes the danger and accepts the consequences, if it's the latter then I have no issue with his choices as long as he does not endanger those around him.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Me and some coworkers were sitting in a bar having a friday after work beverage when a cop comes in and asks who was riding the ninja 900. My friend says thats me. The cop explains that an elderly couple driving in the oncoming lane were so suprised to see a speeding motorcycle come towards them that the driver swerved and they both had whiplash. He was issued a summons for court later. I gave a witness statement that as the following m/c I say nothing happen as reported. At court the "complaintents" were a no show. IMO they were scamming the insurance and backed off when they learned there were witnesses.

Horrible outcome on the hwy story but too many incompetant drivers are looking to blame others.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts