Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so during the summer/fall i started thinking about getting my first bike and then put it off cause i thought it was a phase and what not..well a couple months later i still really wanna buy my first bike..but still iam a lil worried about getting one? anyone else feel a lil scared b4 they got there...or is this a sign i shouldnt be getting one

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
Hell no, you should be EXCATIC about getting a bike. I remember sitting on my fathers bike when I was like 3 thinking to myself "I CAN'T WAIT TILL I CAN RIDE"

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
buy something cheap and easy to resell. just get rid of it if it doesnt work out. Im sure you'll get addicted though...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yeah get something cheap, but in good running condition. Kawasaki Ninja 250's and 500's are great starter bikes, and you can pick one up used for dirt cheap, and sell it for the same you paid for it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well iam pumped to get a bike..but im just wondering if anyone had the jitters b4 they got it..

·
Registered
476 Posts
good luck but yea get a ninja 250. the new ones coming out look great and pretty cheap. if u were meant to ride, that 250 will excite you. don't be like my buddy and get a brand new 08 r6s all because I got my bike. he rode 400 miles and got bored and keeps it on his stand in the garage for 2 months already.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
trust me im not going to get bored with it..i just wanna make sure im safe and what not..maybe im not explaing it very good?

·
Registered
476 Posts
just save up enough money for some safe gear and try to start on a smaller bike because mistakes are bound to happen. you will be twisting that throttle harder and more often than you think.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah im going to take that saftey class b4 i buy my own bike just to see how i do there...my friends got an 07 gsxr and he let me go around in the parking lot for a like an hour..it was fun and stuff....

·
Registered
400 Posts
I can appreciate how you feel. I was a little nervous when I crossed over from cruiser to my first sports bike. All the horror stories about accidents and such I couldn't help feeling a little nervous. But I guess that's kinda different from your situation. Get a bike, you'll love it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no thats how i feel cause you never hear the stories hey i just got a bike and took it easy so on..all you hear is is ppl dieing on the first bike because they were dumb and rode over there abilty...trust me im not going to push anything on my bike...

·
Registered
481 Posts
so during the summer/fall i started thinking about getting my first bike and then put it off cause i thought it was a phase and what not..well a couple months later i still really wanna buy my first bike..but still iam a lil worried about getting one? anyone else feel a lil scared b4 they got there...or is this a sign i shouldnt be getting one
I felt the same way before I got my first bike and I think it was a good thing because it made me respect my bike even more.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i was definitely nervous, not cause i can't ride, but the drivers here are nuts! i didn't ride for about 20 years(for various reasons), but, i am very glad i got back into it...saddle up dude!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah im defintely nervous because ive never really rode it b4 beside in empty parking lot...and as far as drivers i can stay off the main roads and still get places..because i jamestown ny. isnt that big

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I was pretty nervous myself... it's just the inexperience in your head talking. From the sounds of your attitude you'll be alright. If you have a fear of it and a sense of mortality, then you're more likely to ride responsibly.
Have a lot of respect for your bike because it can kill you if you don't. Otherwise, just keep your head clear when you ride and start on a bike you feel comfortable on.
Reading "The Hurt Report" has helped me as well as MSF. If you know where the most accidents happen then you know better what to watch for.

Take MSF and if you enjoy it, then continue to ride. You'll love it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i think its just the inexperience in my head and now knowing what to expect..and if course im going to respect the hell out of the bike cause i dont wanna die or get really hurt....im glad on not the only way that has had these thoughts...i thought it was a sign that i shouldnt try to ride..

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
haha, naw, it's normal for someone with your personality. Where exactly are you from? There are just a lot of things you have to be aware of when you're riding on the street, but I've seen more road bikers (on bicycles) that have been hit by cars than I have seen motorcycle wrecks...
If you gear up as best you can to prepare for a wreck, and be an aggressive but very very very defensive rider, you shouldn't have any problems. I've only been riding about 18 months but I haven't had any problems at all and I still get nervous butterflies every time I'm about to get on my bike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im from jamestown ny..about and hour and 30 min away from buffalo ny..its a small down with like 1 kinda major road but the speed limit on that is 35 so like i said i will be ok down there..its just all the thoughts in my head thats a freaking me out..if that makes sense?

·
Registered
796 Posts
You sound exactly like me before I got a bike. All my friends rode, and it really made me want to ride, but I knew how dangerous it could be. So my first time on a bike was at the MSF Basic Rider Course. To be honest, I was nervous as hell, but I did well in the course and it created even more interest in riding.

I too thought it was a stupid phase that I was going to, so figured that I would try riding a 250 for a season to see if it was something that I wanted to get more serious with (also the lack of funds didn't allow me to buy any other bike lol). So for $2k I picked up a used 250 and I rode all this summer.
My skill level increased very quickly; most likely due starting on the 250 and having a level headed friend who pointed me in the right direction the whole way.
From what it sounds like, you're pretty level headed. I think the best route would be to try out the MSF BRC before picking up a bike. Then start out small. If you end up not liking it, you wouldn't have lost much money either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i would like to think im level headed..i just wanna ride with my friends and have fun and be safe...and my best friend said he would ride with me all the time and watch out and teach me stuff so really i have no reason not to...but starting on a 250 may be a streach im 6"6 and i dont sit comfy on that bike

1 - 20 of 34 Posts