Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
News :: Ford announces front-mounted cameras for MPVs :: P&H Motorcycles Ltd

It's a move by Ford, to help a driver, "see" more by placing a forward mounted camera much like a backup camera on their vehicles. I'll admit that the idea is nice in theory and I've come across plenty of situations where I'd love to have had more visibility coming in and out of intersections but never really itched for a camera and display.

When did it become such a burden to simply use the neck that your head is sitting on to look in all directions? Or take it slow until you can finally see through obstructions? The drivers, generally, are already a seriously inattentive bunch and appeasing them with more "aids" simply permits for less attention and heavier reliance on electronics and gadgets.

To top it off, depth perception is nearly non existent when watching something on a screen. So while you might receive some information about an object, you won't have a clear idea of how large, far, or how fast it's travelling. It just adds an unnecessary level of complexity as a band-aid to a symptom and not a deeply rooted issue of lack of responsibility and a false sense of safety and security that's gained from half-assedly applied safety gadgets.

/Rant, over.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
If they use some night vision aids that would be a step forward... Or obstacule recognition...

I don't have a problem with it... But if it is just a screen and a regular camera, I would prefer to use my own head and eyes.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some form of night/thermal imaging would be cool as a gadget but I wouldn't rely on those as safety devices. It just takes more-than-common knowledge on how to interpret those things. Jaguar has a form obstacle recognition software that they're either testing or already rolling out. People, I think, would start to depend on those systems as a catch-all and become less attentive.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I saw a Ford the other day with 4 cameras mounted on the hood, kinda ironic that they were sitting in the middle of a residential street taking up enough room for 2 cars, but as I was looking through the turn I saw the driver paying exactly no attention to anything!

Cars need to be more hazardous to their drivers again...I think that's the only way to get them to start paying attention again.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replace the steering wheel airbag with an uncovered, chromed out, metal spike!

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Here's the thing: stringent increases in crash survivability have caused cars' innards to increase in size and rigidity year after year. If you don't use advanced (expensive) composites, you have to use more steel, and a consequence of this is that A, B and C pillars continue to increase in size, and the beltline rises - making all windows smaller, and decreases total viewable area as seen by any occupant, including the driver.

Twice now, in my 2008 Honda Fit, I have almost run over someone crossing the street to my left, because the entirety of a person can hide behind my A pillar - something that never happened in my previous cars, because the A pillars in those were no where as thick.

I *do* prefer that cars be smaller and weigh less, and be less safe, and that drivers undergo MUCH more strict training and licensing. But this isn't going to happen, so the alternative is technologies like these to expand driver's perception of the vehicle and world around it.

Related: I am one of the few people I know that has their side mirrors adjusted out properly.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Here's the thing: stringent increases in crash survivability have caused cars' innards to increase in size and rigidity year after year. If you don't use advanced (expensive) composites, you have to use more steel, and a consequence of this is that A, B and C pillars continue to increase in size, and the beltline rises - making all windows smaller, and decreases total viewable area as seen by any occupant, including the driver.

Twice now, in my 2008 Honda Fit, I have almost run over someone crossing the street to my left, because the entirety of a person can hide behind my A pillar - something that never happened in my previous cars, because the A pillars in those were no where as thick.

I *do* prefer that cars be smaller and weigh less, and be less safe, and that drivers undergo MUCH more strict training and licensing. But this isn't going to happen, so the alternative is technologies like these to expand driver's perception of the vehicle and world around it.

Related: I am one of the few people I know that has their side mirrors adjusted out properly.
I concur, which is why I like the old school beetles so much; rwd, lighter than the lotus elise/exige and well built engines make plenty of power...slap on a turbo and 350whp is easily attainable...and full coverage on mine is $30 a month.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Yeah I want a 240z with like a modern 2.0l turbo motor in it. Be careful out there though; a month ago I came up on a crash that must have happened just seconds before, an F150 hit a classic Beetle and I think it killed one of the occupants.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Yeah I want a 240z with like a modern 2.0l turbo motor in it. Be careful out there though; a month ago I came up on a crash that must have happened just seconds before, an F150 hit a classic Beetle and I think it killed one of the occupants.
6 point roll cage and 5 point harness...problem solved.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I have a Nissan Elgrand, the windows in that are huge! Also have a Ford BA Falcon, and did have a Holden VY SS. No viewing issues at all.

Elgrand

Ford

Holden

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I have a Nissan Elgrand, the windows in that are huge! Also have a Ford BA Falcon, and did have a Holden VY SS. No viewing issues at all.

Elgrand

Ford

Holden
I hate to call that Holden a Pontiac, but in the USDM I think it was badged as a G8.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I hate to call that Holden a Pontiac, but in the USDM I think it was badged as a G8.
Indeed. Same as our Holden Monaro is a Pontiac GTO I think in the states.

Sad thing is, I had to let it go. Only had 95,000km on it, 6sp manual, and sold not for 5k. :-(

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts

Sad thing is, I had to let it go. Only had 95,000km on it, 6sp manual, and sold not for 5k. :-(
Omg...that's like 8k USD with shipping and taxes

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts

Tis true...tell me did they always have a 6.0 over there? I gotta bet with someone that they were all LS1's in '04 and 05-06 got the LS2...

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Omg...that's like 8k USD with shipping and taxes
Believe me, it was cheap. My model usually has 160k+ on it, and goes for around 4-5. Mine with that low km is usually 10-12k. Just the market at the time, and nobody wanting v8's.

Tis true...tell me did they always have a 6.0 over there? I gotta bet with someone that they were all LS1's in '04 and 05-06 got the LS2...
Yeah, I think the LS1's were 03-05, LS2 in 07-08, LS3 09-current.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I have a M. Benz A250 and as FightingChance says... you look back and you can't see s+it...

I still remember the sales guy at the dealer telling me that rear sensor were nonsense in this car... I believe that I'm being able to park only due to the fact that I have a screen and sensors...

Anybody seen this new Jaguar/Land Rover system for making the hood "invisible" ???

This is a nice idea, specially for tough 4x4 expeditions!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a M. Benz A250 and as FightingChance says... you look back and you can't see s+it...

I still remember the sales guy at the dealer telling me that rear sensor were nonsense in this car... I believe that I'm being able to park only due to the fact that I have a screen and sensors...

Anybody seen this new Jaguar/Land Rover system for making the hood "invisible" ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7j1daOk72c

This is a nice idea, specially for tough 4x4 expeditions!
Now that, is bang on! Wish I had that when I beat the crap out of my Cherokee off roading.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts