Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here's the story, a few weeks ago my bike wouldn't start up and it sounded exactly like this link below I found on youtube:

So after almost 2 weeks of my bike being at the honda dealer and me calling the mechanic every other day to see if they found out what it was they FINALLY found out after I stopped calling the mechanic and called the GM to get some dang answers! He called me back a few hours later and said I had low or no compression because I had a lot of carbon deposits in my valves. But the mechanic said this kinda thing should happen til around 20 to 30k miles. So I have to wait now until this Tuesday to see if Honda will cover it under the warranty (one year unlimited miles), THEY BETTER! The only explanation the mechanic could come up with was that the grade of gas these days is so cheap and that what probably caused it even though I use premium like the manual recommends

But to my question for you guys, how do you stop this from happening or why in the world did this happen to my bike when I only have 10k miles on it???

This is my first bike (2010 cbr600rr leyla edition) and I've had it for 7 months and have put a little over 10k miles on it. I've done all scheduled maintenance the manual says to do.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Your fuel having excess toluene in it may cause it... some servos add more cause it's cheap and makes their fuel stretch further. You may also have some oil coming back through the pair system. Have you spent much time doing wheelies?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your fuel having excess toluene in it may cause it... some servos add more cause it's cheap and makes their fuel stretch further. You may also have some oil coming back through the pair system. Have you spent much time doing wheelies?

nope, not into wheelies

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
sounds like crap gas. i only run premium with 0 corn. everything i own gets this except my RV and my car.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
use 87. (the 600rr was specificly DESIGNED to run on cheap gas).
There is a BIG difference between cheap low octane fuel and crap fuel. I didn't say that he shouldn't run 87, just that bad fuel will cause his problem.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
use 87. (the 600rr was specificly DESIGNED to run on cheap gas).

its not the 87 or 89 or 91 or 93 that i care so much about, i just dont want to run corn gas. ive put it in my car a few times because it was all i could get and it cost me almost 80km/tank.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Interesting. I drop a little bit of seafoam or chevron techron every few hundred miles. And try to always use Shell or Chevron. This combo should be clearing out everything.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its not the 87 or 89 or 91 or 93 that i care so much about, i just dont want to run corn gas. ive put it in my car a few times because it was all i could get and it cost me almost 80km/tank.

where would i avoid using corn gas? shell and chevrons im gussing???

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this happen to a friend of mines on a R6. he never rode it hard and had a slip on with no tune. imo his build up was probably caused by never getting on it and the non tuned slip on didnt help

interesting! i have a slip on (2bros) but havent tuned it, but i do ride hard... i was told by my local mechanic that im running "rich" since its not tuned and the white paint on my tail above my exhaust is discoloring because of the exhaust. is running "rich" a bad thing or could contribute to the problem i have?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
interesting! i have a slip on (2bros) but havent tuned it, but i do ride hard... i was told by my local mechanic that im running "rich" since its not tuned and the white paint on my tail above my exhaust is discoloring because of the exhaust. is running "rich" a bad thing or could contribute to the problem i have?
You're actually running lean... and exhaust will discolour stuff regardless of rich or lean, and heat doesn't do white paint any favours either for that matter.

Running lean will heat the valves up a little, but the amount of difference a slipon alone will make is insignificant.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the manual said something like every 8k but I figured that's why too long so I usually plan to get it done around every 5k

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 03 600rr. It has less than 7000 miles on it and was so carbonized that the engine seized up. I have yet to find anyone who can give me a 100% explanation. Follow this link and you can see massive carbon build up on the pistons and valves. With pics ===>

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=224259

I always change my oil and used premium gas.

I ended up having to buy a new motor.

I did find this link helpful ===> http://www.fireblades.org/forums/general-discussion/15094-carbon-build-up-loss-compression.html

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
I believe the manual states 86 octane or above.
Yes it does, if you own an 03-06...

Otherwise, for 07 and on use premium...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts