Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving to South Carolina, and the more I think about it the more I'm really thinking about riding out there from Arizona. I'm selling all my stuff and was going to fly out there and then have the bike shipped out there..But I think it would be an amazing experience to ride across country.

Anyone ever done it? I figure it'll take me about a week or so to make the trek. All I'll have with me is my backpack, I might find a way to tie a small duffle bag to the pass. seat, any suggestions on what I MUST have with me for the trip?

·
Registered
26 Posts
MUST have? A different seat and riser bars, LOL!

I made a trip from St. Louis to Aspen, CO and back with a friend a few years ago. I wasn't on a CBR, but a BMW R1100S (Sport Touring) and even with the added "cushiness" of the Beemer.....it was a LONG friggin haul!

I'm not suggesting you not make the trip. Just do it over the course of like a week. Long hauls on bikes are tiring. Break it down and do a couple hundred a day vs. trying to go for "Iron Butt" status....especially on a dedicated sport bike.

Things to bring....

TUNES Ipod or the like is a must have.
Water. Not only for you to stay hydrated, but also in case your bike needs a drink.
Extra fluids. Brake, Oil etc.
Full tool kit.
Sleeping bag or a Bivy sack (unless you are shacking up at a hotel each night.)
Cell phone. Let a family member know your itenerary prior to leaving. Have someone to check in with each day for safety sake.
A friend. Riding distance on your own is great if you have a Gold Wing. On a sport, I would highly recommend going with someone else ( another bike, not a passenger)

Also (and probably obvious) take your bike in for servicing prior to leaving. Have new brakes installed and at a bare minimum, put on a new back tire. AZ to the deep South will have you covering a ton of different road surfaces that will eat a typical sport tire up. Get something aimed at touring for the rear and just change out to your normal Pilots or whatever when you arrive safely.

My last suggestion- log the trip. Take pictures, stop at roadside attractions and chill with the world's biggest ball of twine or National Parks on the way. If you do this ride, it'll be epic, and you'll want pictures and notes to show your friends and family.

Most importanly, take your time. Do this only if you and your bike is in GREAT shape. Break down the trip into smaller trips instead of massive amounts of mileage at a time and you'll have a blast.

Anywho, good luck and hope this helps,
SKI

·
Registered
553 Posts
^^^ Greatest answer to a question ever.....I feel like I'm ready to do it now!!!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I rode from Tempe (not Mesa but about 2 minutes away lol) to Denver, CO and then to Seattle, WA last summer. I was riding my CBR954RR with out any "comfort" mods and it wasn't nearly as bad as i thought. I did it in less than 2 days (38 hours) and covered 2500 miles. Listen exactly to what skiandclimb said about supplies to bring. The water and tunes were a LIFE SAVER for me down here in the southwest. At one point in New Mexico i was pulling over under every over pass i came to and chugged a bottle of water! Good luck on the ride, it's one hell of an experience!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
skiandclimb said:
MUST have? A different seat and riser bars, LOL!

I made a trip from St. Louis to Aspen, CO and back with a friend a few years ago. I wasn't on a CBR, but a BMW R1100S (Sport Touring) and even with the added "cushiness" of the Beemer.....it was a LONG friggin haul!

I'm not suggesting you not make the trip. Just do it over the course of like a week. Long hauls on bikes are tiring. Break it down and do a couple hundred a day vs. trying to go for "Iron Butt" status....especially on a dedicated sport bike.

Things to bring....

TUNES Ipod or the like is a must have.
Water. Not only for you to stay hydrated, but also in case your bike needs a drink.
Extra fluids. Brake, Oil etc.
Full tool kit.
Sleeping bag or a Bivy sack (unless you are shacking up at a hotel each night.)
Cell phone. Let a family member know your itenerary prior to leaving. Have someone to check in with each day for safety sake.
A friend. Riding distance on your own is great if you have a Gold Wing. On a sport, I would highly recommend going with someone else ( another bike, not a passenger)

Also (and probably obvious) take your bike in for servicing prior to leaving. Have new brakes installed and at a bare minimum, put on a new back tire. AZ to the deep South will have you covering a ton of different road surfaces that will eat a typical sport tire up. Get something aimed at touring for the rear and just change out to your normal Pilots or whatever when you arrive safely.

My last suggestion- log the trip. Take pictures, stop at roadside attractions and chill with the world's biggest ball of twine or National Parks on the way. If you do this ride, it'll be epic, and you'll want pictures and notes to show your friends and family.

Most importanly, take your time. Do this only if you and your bike is in GREAT shape. Break down the trip into smaller trips instead of massive amounts of mileage at a time and you'll have a blast.

Anywho, good luck and hope this helps,
SKI
Awesome post...Thanks man!

·
Registered
381 Posts
ChrisB said:
I'm moving to South Carolina, and the more I think about it the more I'm really thinking about riding out there from Arizona. I'm selling all my stuff and was going to fly out there and then have the bike shipped out there..But I think it would be an amazing experience to ride across country.

Anyone ever done it? I figure it'll take me about a week or so to make the trek. All I'll have with me is my backpack, I might find a way to tie a small duffle bag to the pass. seat, any suggestions on what I MUST have with me for the trip?
oh man are you going to be sore. make sure that backpack has a camelback.

·
Monkey works will work for you :)
1,679 Posts
Sounds like it would be a good time, I have always wanted to do this, a group of us were thinking about riding out to Laguna for the MotoGP last summer, but it never materialized. A friend of mine did ride to Alaska on his Harley and loved it. I know the RR isnt comparable to the RR but it was still a sweet trip. There has been some good advice given here already, but I would def. emphasize on keeping in touch with friends and family by contacting someone after each day of riding, making sure the bike is serviced before you leave, and allowing plenty of time incase of any mechanical problems or bad weather, this will make the trip more enjoyable. It really sucks if you have to rush.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Some great advice! I am also planning on doing some distance rides in the future. A great resource for me has been the IBA (Iron Butt Association). They have an amazing archive and "wisdom" section http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm . Another thing to look at is staying off the highways and hitting the twisties and other roads. Have fun!

·
Registered
113 Posts
my concern would be about suspension set-up? am planning a 3000 mile trrip from shreveport, la to key west, fl. leaving june 31st, will heed the advice above.

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
Get some saddle bags to store everything in. If you decide to do it post up some pics and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
924 Posts
A Corbin seat will do wonders for your arse and you'll probably appreciate it at the end of the trip more than ever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts